• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (4 Viewers)

The Wood Sand was still present & showing well early this morning with a supporting cast of 2 Common, 2 Green, Snipe, 2 Dunlin, & Ringed Plover.
The pair of Little Grebes have hatched 3 chicks which was nice to see.

John.

Great to see half a dozen Swifts over the workings this morning along with the parade of waders in front of the mound. The Wood Sandpiper is certainly a long stayer and is drawing in the wider local birding community.

Not sure I'm a fan of the two Chinese Geese - the sooner they are eaten by Mr Fox the better although, that said, the could draw in some overflying grey geese.

Wood Sannd piper still here after a week 2 Dunlin + Ring Plover.
Have been asked by BWVP what species should be shown on information boards on Tices. Any idears. Is it Little Ring Plover or what? Feed back would be most welcome by Monday.Think about those boards you v seen on nature reservses. Give us your idears. Rich H.

Have been asked by BWVP what species should be shown on information boards on Tices. Any idears. Is it Little Ring Plover or what? Feed back would be most welcome by Monday.Think about those boards you v seen on nature reservses. Give us your idears. Rich H.

LRP a definite.

Little Egret might be a good one, as might Red Kite, and I know they're not that frequent, but Kingfisher always looks good on info boards.

Wood Sandpiper still present early this morning but distant & elusive in the workings. The same supporting cast as yesterday also noted, the Little Grebe chicks seen to be feeding well on a diet of Perch & unknown Crustaceans. As Rich said, the Wood Sand is drawing attention from further afield, two birders from Hertfordshire twitched it early this morning & Staines legend Bob Warden also visited.

John

Sorry to of missed Johnny H this morning nothing to add to his and Rich S tally so far today apart from 6 Buzzard high up . Nice to meet up with Bob Warden who came for Wood Sand. The Electricity Company will clear up and chip remaining mess they left within 2 weeks . We can then spread chippings along path ways. No point untill they finish.

A great three visits today with a total of at least 12 new birders visiting. As I left there was still 8 on the mound all of whom had connected with the Wood Sandpiper. A sizable passage of Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers through - the latter the more vocal. On the workings, 1 Wood Sand, several Common and Green Sands, 2 Dunlin, 1 Ringed Plover and 2 Hobbies hawking together; one which landed on the meadow behind the bike pool and showed well. Also reports of Peregrine and Steve believes there are 4 Dabchick chicks.

The Wood Sand is still distant and the other waders seem to favour the long island.

A total of 48 species there today.

Last edited:
If any body has any good picks of LRPlover L Egret Red Kite or Kingfisher from Tices that can be used for interruption boards you will get accredited as well as Butterflies ect.
Please let me know.
Rich.

LRP, Yellow-Legged Gull, BN Grebe, various waders, Peregrine, Hobby, Wheatear, Yellow Wagtail for starters. Is there going to be one on the mound?

Last edited:

Maybe some pictures of birds that the locals (non birders/no binoculars) might see.
How about Green Sandpier (recorded in every month of the year) and the most likely to be seen, Little Egret (aka White Heron!!) Little Grebe, Wheatear and Green Woodpecker.
Most visiting birders just by knowing the name Ties Meadow will know that good birds can be seen.

Kevin

Maybe some pictures of birds that the locals (non birders/no binoculars) might see.
How about Green Sandpier (recorded in every month of the year) and the most likely to be seen, Little Egret (aka White Heron!!) Little Grebe, Wheatear and Green Woodpecker.
Most visiting birders just by knowing the name Ties Meadow will know that good birds can be seen.

Kevin

Agree with Kev's Comments. Tice's Meadow is what everyone knows it as. Perhaps Tice's Meadow, Badshot Lea would appeas the residents of BL. To be honest it is really only birders and residents of Tice's Meadow estate who use it on a regular basis so the name ought to remain extant. Might be worth pointing out that all the major conservation bodies and bird information services know the site as Tice's Meadow.

Kevin
Kev i have put that forward lets see.

Any one up for another #Tices24 to look at return migration at the end of September? We also still have a lot of dead wood to burn.

Just to let you guys know, I will be leading the Guildford RSPB group round Tice's for the first time on Sunday 15th September. All are welcome. Meeting at 9:30 in Aldershot Park CP (we had to do it from here due to the potential for large number of attendees).

I'll be expecting you guys to have found everything for us on our arrival at the mound!

Just to let you guys know, I will be leading the Guildford RSPB group round Tice's for the first time on Sunday 15th September. All are welcome. Meeting at 9:30 in Aldershot Park CP (we had to do it from here due to the potential for large number of attendees).

I'll be expecting you guys to have found everything for us on our arrival at the mound!
Sean we will see what we have for you ;), look forward to seeing you if not before on 13th with AOS at Portland they have weekend at obs.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back