• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with bird of prey (1 Viewer)

dylan

United Kingdom
This bird passed high overhead today when I was walking through Banstead Woods in Surrey. Can anyone help me with the ID?
Thanks.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 316
Sorry if I look daft or sound patronising but it seems very much like a Buzzard to me. They do bend their 'finger tips' back to travel forward.

Hi Dylan,
This is a Common Buzzard.The species is still relatively scarce down that way(only saw 2-3 in Surrey and Hampshire in 3 days in July 2001),but increasing all the time.
Harry

These are very common in Devon, I often challenge myself to see ten in one day if I am driving around a bit. The most I have had is nine but saw six in one spot. I would probably smash all that if I go to Haldon Raptor Viewpoint at the right time of the year.

Cheers. I was pretty sure it was a Buzzard. It didn't have the 'finger tips' at the ends of the wing which made me uncertain.

I've seen a few before in Wales last summer but never seen any round here.

Thanks again, just wanted to make sure.

Dylan ...Hi

Nice photo...

There`s a suspicion of a dark carpal patch on the left wing. It looks as though the bird is descending, hence no fingering of the primaries. The head looks big for a Common Buzzard, and the tail isn`t well spread, but on balance, I`d say it`s a Common Buzzard: quite common up here in Lancashire (Gods country)

Regards

Les

Dylan,
I have taken the liberty of lightening up your photo so that the colouration can be seen. Hope you don't mind. I can delete it if you wish. All that I have done is to lighten it and keep the contrast the same as the amount of lighening. I have not done anything else.

Eddie

Attachments

• raptor.jpg
    raptor.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 250
Cheers Eddie. I had lightened it before posting but then thought it better to post the shot as it appeared so as not to alter the colour of the bird.
Andrew, I don't know why you should look daft or sound patronising, I appreciate the ID confirmation, and I'm the daft one for not beeing sure of myself yet when it comes to identifying obvious birds!
Thanks everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back