• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fixing dark image (1 Viewer)

cspratt

I've attached a cropped (and resized) image straight out of my Canon 10D. I've tried various ways to bring out the bird's details (Common Yellowthroat) but I'm really lost on how to get a good end product. The bird was sitting (briefly) in heavy shade.

Using Photo Elements 2.0 and Paint Shop Pro 8.10 as my main image processors but my results are very poor. I really would like some step by step expert help.

Attachments

• Img_0009b.jpg
    Img_0009b.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
The underside is very under-exposed.

Using the middle slider in Levels in Photoshop has 'opened out' the colours but has left a very 'flat' image, but boosting the contrast darkens it again so I've used the Burn tool to darken the top of the bird and the 'Dodge' tool to lighten the underside. Also boosted the yellow in 'Selective colour'

When it's very under-exposed using the levels does lighten it a lot but it leaves a less than smooth pattern in areas of plain colour so I've reduced the graininess a little although this takes the sharpness down a bit

I'm interested to see what others can do with this image with more time to work at it.

Adey

Attachments

• Img_0009b 2.JPG
    Img_0009b 2.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 191
If you haven't got 'Selective Colour' in Elements then choose the 'yellow' in 'Hue/saturation' (Enhance>Color>Hue/Saturation) and move the 'saturation' slider over to the right

Attachments

• bf.jpg
    bf.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 195
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back