• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you feel about your NL 8x42 a year or two down the line? (1 Viewer)

For me the NLs have endured the test of time. Ergonomics are the best in my opinion. I have the 42mm set. But like ALL binoculars they are not perfect. To know their imperfections and still love them is a good thing I think. For example, I have quantified veiling glare in the NLs against other binoculars in harsh, artificial tests, and the NLs do the most poorly. But on the rare occasion that I encounter glare from them in the field, it is not upsetting, but just a reminder of their personality. In a comparison I did between the 10x42NLs with 10x42 Noctivids, posted here, some additional strengths and weakness for the NL were evident. But to own different brands of the same power/aperture binoculars is to become aware of the differences.

Last edited:
For me the NLs have endured the test of time. Ergonomics are the best in my opinion. I have the 42mm set. But like ALL binoculars they are not perfect. To know their imperfections and still love them is a good thing I think. For example, I have quantified veiling glare in the NLs against other binoculars in harsh, artificial tests, and the NLs do the most poorly. But on the rare occasion that I encounter glare from them in the field, it is not upsetting, but just a reminder of their personality. In a comparison I did between the 10x42NLs with 10x42 Noctivids, posted here, some additional strengths and weakness for the NL were evident. But to own different brands of the same power/aperture binoculars is to become aware of the differences.
Wow! I read your review on Cloudy Nights, super review. I’m currently looking at both the 10x42 NV and NL, it sounds like they’re so close, with a slight edge In sharpness going to the NV, that it’s going to come down to which fits me better.

Last edited:
Wow! I read your review on Cloudy Nights, super review. I’m currently looking at both the 10x42 NV and NL, it sounds like they’re so close, with a slight edge In sharpness going to the NV, that it’s going to come down to which fits me better.
Could not agree more, a fantastic review, and exactly what I found when testing all three 10x42 Alphas. Luckily I was able to test all of them side by side and couldn’t detect any perceptible differences in optical quality or sharpness twixt them.

All were superb and it came down to how they felt in my hand and in use. After two hours of testing I chose the Pure NL’s but it was a close run thing. The FOV and the ergonomics of the Pure edged it for me and I emphasise the ‘for me‘ bit. After a months use in all weathers in glorious Mid-Wales I am delighted with my choice.

Best of luck in your final decision, all are truly lovely binoculars.

I’ve been out of the game for quite some time. I originally bought the 10x42 SLCs in 2007 then upgraded to the same power ELs and loved them. I had a baby so I decided to part with them to cover expenses.

In the interim I’ve had Leupod and Vortex but was not happy with them for obvious reasons.

Fast forward to 2023, I am now in the market to pick up another set of Swaros. I primarily use them for hunting in the northern plains. As well as occasional birding. Money is not an issue because I want to buy the right ones the first time.

I’m specifically looking at the 10x42 EL or the NL. Out of these two, which one would you recommend and why?

My apologies if I should’ve made a new thread just don’t want to highjack the OPs thread. Thanks

Can't help you with your question but I would like to wish you a warm welcome from those of us on BirdForum :)

I’ve been out of the game for quite some time. I originally bought the 10x42 SLCs in 2007 then upgraded to the same power ELs and loved them. I had a baby so I decided to part with them to cover expenses.

In the interim I’ve had Leupod and Vortex but was not happy with them for obvious reasons.

Fast forward to 2023, I am now in the market to pick up another set of Swaros. I primarily use them for hunting in the northern plains. As well as occasional birding. Money is not an issue because I want to buy the right ones the first time.

I’m specifically looking at the 10x42 EL or the NL. Out of these two, which one would you recommend and why?

My apologies if I should’ve made a new thread just don’t want to highjack the OPs thread. Thanks
Both of your contenders are superb and what a lovely 'dilema' to be in! I have the Pure and chose it after side by side tests with its Zeiss and Leica equivalents. The EL wasn't on my radar and I suppose I narrowed my contenders down after careful research and the fantastic review of hunting binoculars on:

I chose the Pure's because they felt absolutely superb in my hands but in fairness I could have ordered any of them (or the EL) online and been entirely satisfied. But it was the physical handling that sealed the deal for me and I would repectfully suggest that you try them in person rather than go by the very well intentioned responses you will get to your question from members on this, or any forum.

To 'buy the right ones the first time' will require more than personal recommendations and pro's and con's. You have narrowed your purchasing options down to two excellent bino's and only you can judge which is the best for you. Go test 'em!

Both of your contenders are superb and what a lovely 'dilema' to be in! I have the Pure and chose it after side by side tests with its Zeiss and Leica equivalents. The EL wasn't on my radar and I suppose I narrowed my contenders down after careful research and the fantastic review of hunting binoculars on:

I chose the Pure's because they felt absolutely superb in my hands but in fairness I could have ordered any of them (or the EL) online and been entirely satisfied. But it was the physical handling that sealed the deal for me and I would repectfully suggest that you try them in person rather than go by the very well intentioned responses you will get to your question from members on this, or any forum.

To 'buy the right ones the first time' will require more than personal recommendations and pro's and con's. You have narrowed your purchasing options down to two excellent bino's and only you can judge which is the best for you. Go test 'em!
Thank you! I am headed out now to check them out. Who knows, I might pull the trigger and bring a set home 😊

...and to be honest, hunting and birding, while they have a lot in common, do have some characteristics which set them apart. You won't find much here in support of hunting pursuits anyway, and over on Rokslide (or similar) you'll get the hunter's point of view. E.g. for big-country use, you'll prob want something that will take a tripod mounting stud, emphasis on low-light performance, etc.

Well, went with the Pure’s. I went back and forth between the EL and the NL. Went with the NL because of the egros - they just fell into my hands and that field of view is especially noticeable when comparing them side by side.

...and to be honest, hunting and birding, while they have a lot in common, do have some characteristics which set them apart. You won't find much here in support of hunting pursuits anyway, and over on Rokslide (or similar) you'll get the hunter's point of view. E.g. for big-country use, you'll prob want something that will take a tripod mounting stud, emphasis on low-light performance, etc.
And to be honest as well, that is exactly why I’m here. If anyone knows binos, it the birding community 😉

I picked up an arca mount for my tripod. I appreciate your input though. Definitely going to use them often for birding as well.

Last edited:
And to be honest as well, that is exactly why I’m here. If anyone knows binos, it the birding community 😉

I picked up an arca mount for my tripod. I appreciate your input though. Definitely going to use them often for birding as well.
Excellent choice on the Pure's, that FOV is out of this world!

I got the Swarovski UTA tripod adapter clamp to mount mine and whilst it is ludicrously expensive it is a ludicrously excellent bit of kit.

I recently got a pair of Swaro NL 8x42. I notice that when I look down at the eyepiece lenses there are 4 distinct false pupils arranged around the central pupil image. I know that Allbinos calls out bins that have such false pupils, but without discussing why it may or not be important. Anyone have any idea if such false pupils are a problem during normal use?

Those are reflections from camfered prism corners, not false pupils and they're no problem at all. They're illuminated by light entering the eyepiece, so when your eye is at the eyepiece their light source is cut off and besides they are then positioned behind the eyepiece field stop, which blocks them from being visible to the eye.

Glare in the NLs is caused by glancing reflections from not quite completely baffled metal retaining rings at and just behind the objective lenses.

Attachments

• 300px-Polyhedron_chamfered_4a_edeq_max.png
    300px-Polyhedron_chamfered_4a_edeq_max.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 8
Hi Henry and many thanks for your comments. I had been coming to a similar conclusion (without understanding the technicalities, as you obviously do). I concluded that the light reflections (the so-called false pupils) did not seem to be coming "up" through the lenses and prisms but may have been coming from above (i.e., the outside environment and into the eyepieces). Remaining question is why does this seem to happen with my NLs but not with my other bins such as zeiss SFs, UVs. Is it to do with the massive diameter eyepiece lenses?

Hi Henry and many thanks for your comments. I had been coming to a similar conclusion (without understanding the technicalities, as you obviously do). I concluded that the light reflections (the so-called false pupils) did not seem to be coming "up" through the lenses and prisms but may have been coming from above (i.e., the outside environment and into the eyepieces). Remaining question is why does this seem to happen with my NLs but not with my other bins such as zeiss SFs, UVs. Is it to do with the massive diameter eyepiece lenses?

The big eye lens of the NL probably does allow more light to enter the eyepiece when there is no observer at the eyepiece to block it, but I think there are two main reasons these reflections are not visible in all binoculars.

Firstly, not all binoculars have camfered prism corners. The NLs most likely have them in order to fit larger prisms into their narrow waisted bodies than would be possible without camphering.

Secondly, the arrangement of the two prisms in Schmidt-Pechen binoculars can be done with the Schmidt prism in front or in back. The NLs have the Schmidt in back while the SFs and Ultravids have the Schmidt in front, so the view of the interior through the eyepiece is reversed in those binoculars compared to the NLs, with any camfered prism faces like the ones in the NLs reflecting toward the front of the binocular rather than the back.

Last edited:
Hi Henry, many thanks for your response to my query re the false pupils on the NL 8x42. I accept all that you say, but wonder why false pupils are a regular feature of Allbinos reviews if they are not an indication of viewing impairment. Why, then, do they consistently feature in their reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back