• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird feeder help please (1 Viewer)

Paulharris1965

Hello can anyone help. I use a peanut feeder which I fill with sunflower hearts. I get loads of birds who empty it regularly. As it is old I brought a newer and bigger one.

The birds seem reluctant to use it after 2 days being up. Today I put the old one back up and they floaked back to it feeding as before.

Have I wasted my money on the new one?

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you haven't wasted your money, it just takes the birds a while to get used to a new set up; sometimes a few weeks. Try hanging the new one near to the old one - I'm pretty sure that one will be busy when the cold weather bites.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you haven't wasted your money, it just takes the birds a while to get used to a new set up; sometimes a few weeks. Try hanging the new one near to the old one - I'm pretty sure that one will be busy when the cold weather bites.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Thank you. Will try that.

You may end up spending more on food if they take to both the feeders, of course!;)

Having suffered a lot of squirrel damage to my feeders I recently spent a bit extra and bought Squirrel Buster feeders.

They are a little different in appearance so I expected the birds to take time getting used to them. In fact there was a Blue Tit inspecting and feeding on one before I got back in the house!

btw They work well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back