• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albatross? Can Anyone ID this bird please? (1 Viewer)

choughed2bits

kev thomson
Albatross? Can Anyone ID this bird please? Cook Strait New Zealand

Hi there,

I was lucky enough to get a photo of this beautiful bird when I was on the ferry crossing the cook strait (New Zealand North Island to South Island) about this time last year. It was a cold, bright, clear day but a howling wind. I struggled to remain upright on the fore deck of the boat, let alone get a decent picture. It was so windy I had to keep my shades on, else my eyelids started to flap in the breeze and by the way, I am neither an octogenarian nor a victim of a poor plastic surgeon.

I'm pretty new to bird forum and from reading posts am blown away by the amount of knowledge there is out there, and would be so grateful if someone could help ID this bird. I had an inkling that it might be light-mantled sooty, but stand to be corrected if wrong. I have no idea whether it's young, old, male, female, papier mache puppet on a string dangled from fishing line from an upper deck etc. so any information you can give me would be helpful .

I'm an amateur in comparison to you ladies and gents out there, so i bow to your superior knowledge and look forward to reading your replies.

Kind regards,

Kev.

Attachments

• 08.10.06 cook strait crossing.JPG
    08.10.06 cook strait crossing.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
No expert on these wonderful birds, but could it be a Chatham's Albatross?
I'll leave it to the antipodean experts for a proper ID. Nice pic, too.

I'd agree with Tim that is one of the Shy Mollymawk group.

Seems to have a pale yellow bill with grey center, pale grey head with even paler forehead, pale mantle and white primary shafts..all pointing to Salvin's Mollymawk.

Still I am no expert, only seen northern hemisphere species in the Pacific.

Sean

Hi Kev,
albatross nomenclature is a bit confusing so you'll have to concentrate ;)
but
grey head plus yellowish bill pretty much limits your options to two types of albatross

Salvin's Albatross, also known as a Salvin's Mollymawk (Mollymawk is a generic term for small black-backed albatrosses)

or

Chatham Albatross (Chatham Mollymawk)

Some people consider that Salvin's and Chatham are BOTH subspecies of Shy Albatross.

In my opinion your bird is probably Salvin's for the reasons Sean has given plus Chatham has a darker grey head and a brighter yellow beak.

In addition Salvin's is one of the commonest albatrosses around the coast of "mainland" New Zealand, whereas Chatham is pretty rare.

Buller's Albatross is fairly similar but has a black bill

Amongst other things, Light-mantled Sooty Albatross has an all black head and bill and a dark rump, and is also rare round NZ

hope that helps and isn't too confusing!

James

Thanks for the help Sean, Fricka and the compliment Tim.

At least i have a better idea about what it may be and i do appreciate the help with nomenclature and partcularly the guide through the various subspecies. So thanks to you too James.

I also noticed that Fricka, you don't post very much so i am truly honoured - here's a pic for you all by way of saying thanks for the help:

Enjoy,

kev

Attachments

• P1040657.jpg
    P1040657.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back