• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE's (1 Viewer)

It was thanks to this forum that I learned of these. And I must say that these are as impressive as they say. These are rapidly becoming my favorite birding bins and I want to take them literally everywhere I walk or travel. Newly outfitted with flip open objective caps and with the 1/2 rolled-down eye-cups (which both allowed the stock Nikon rainguards to stay put and to greatly reduce the blackouts) they have effectively spoiled me for any of my others, which I still highly regard, even though they don't have the desired waterproofing/fog-proofing I'd ideally like to have.

Mine recently took a backseat to the Nikon 8x30 EII. I really like the wider view of the EII and the boost in brightness. Not parting with my SE though, it's still one of my favorites.

After comparing the SE's to my 8x32 SV's I decided the SV's were obviously better so I sold the SE's. I kept my EII's because they have the wider FOV which is unique.

"No they are not. Porro's are brighter, have way better 3D realism and are sharper. I sold my Swarovision's and I have never been sorry. I recently tried Swarovski EL's 8x32 and sold them quickly because they didn't compare with my porro's. Porro's are simpler and better optically"

Truly amazing how much things have changed since March isn't it.;)

The great thing about the internet is that everyone can have an opinion, and get it out there!

In Dennis' case, that opinion, plus $1.25, will get him a cup of coffee at Starbucks......

"No they are not. Porro's are brighter, have way better 3D realism and are sharper. I sold my Swarovision's and I have never been sorry. I recently tried Swarovski EL's 8x32 and sold them quickly because they didn't compare with my porro's. Porro's are simpler and better optically"

Last edited:
The great thing about the internet is that everyone can have an opinion, and get it out there!

In Dennis' case, that opinion, plus $1.25, will get himn a cup of coffee at Starbucks......

I'm just wondering what will be Dennis's new/latest love when he kicks the 8x32 EL under the bus.......again.

Steve

That was the 8.5x42 Swarovision. Watch the details. The 8x32 SV and 8.5x42 SV are different binoculars. The baby SV has a bigger FOV and no RB and is much lighter and more compact. The baby SV is a better birding binocular overall.

Last edited:
Mine recently took a backseat to the Nikon 8x30 EII. I really like the wider view of the EII and the boost in brightness. Not parting with my SE though, it's still one of my favorites.
I kept the EII over the SE also. The SV 8x32 and Nikon 8x30 EII are my only binoculars. The SV is without doubt superior optically but sometimes I like the bigger FOV of the EII. The EII is the best wide field binocular on the planet and the SV is the best binocular overall no holes barred.

It was thanks to this forum that I learned of these. And I must say that these are as impressive as they say. These are rapidly becoming my favorite birding bins and I want to take them literally everywhere I walk or travel. Newly outfitted with flip open objective caps and with the 1/2 rolled-down eye-cups (which both allowed the stock Nikon rainguards to stay put and to greatly reduce the blackouts) they have effectively spoiled me for any of my others, which I still highly regard, even though they don't have the desired waterproofing/fog-proofing I'd ideally like to have.
"even though they don't have the desired waterproofing/fog-proofing I'd ideally like to have"

Get the Swarovision 8x32. You get the wayterproofing and they are better optically and have a bigger FOV to boot and sharper edges. Only another $1K and you got it all.

Sold mine recently and have a small twinge of regret ( for the loss of an amazingly clear image), but ultimately I'm ok with the decision to part with it.
I like what I'm using now and look forward to getting a very nice lifelong bin down the road.
The SV 8x32 is waiting for you. Take my word it is the one.

I added the 8x32 this year (551) and already owned the 10x42. The 8x32 has joined my Zeiss FL 7x42 as my default everyday birding bins and are a joy to use. I'd like to say that I choose the Zeiss more often in low light or inclement weather, but honestly the choice seems much more random than that. Fortunately blackouts have not been a problem at all with either Nikon product and they've both been excellent additions to my ever growing optical arsenal.

Wowza! The first citation on BF of a new production run 8x32 SE (551xxx)! They finally sold 999 units of the 550xxx 8x32 SEs (I've got one of them). Only took about 4-5 years.

That should quash rumors of the SE's demise. They're still making them, folks.

Now, of course, I must have 551 to compare to my 550. Could the coatings be even better??? If the image got any sharper, it would cut your eyeballs. ;)

Brock

Wowza! The first citation on BF of a new production run 8x32 SE (551xxx)! They finally sold 999 units of the 550xxx 8x32 SEs (I've got one of them). Only took about 4-5 years.

Now, of course, I must have 551 to compare to my 550. Could the coatings be even better??? If the image got any sharper, it would cut your eyeballs. ;)

Brock

Brock,

Stay alert!

I clued you into that 6 days ago!;)

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2816776&postcount=330

Bob

That was the 8.5x42 Swarovision. Watch the details. The 8x32 SV and 8.5x42 SV are different binoculars. The baby SV has a bigger FOV and no RB and is much lighter and more compact. The baby SV is a better birding binocular overall.

Dennis

Your exact quote was "I recently tried the Swarovski EL's 8x32 and sold them quickly because they didn't compare with my porros"

I was just pointing out that a few months ago that when you compared the Swarovski 8x32 ELs with your porros the porros were better, your exact words not mine. It is for reasons like this that when you do yet another 180 that most members are very skeptical of your posts. Of course the 8x32 EL you had in March could have been subpar......maybe sample variation??

Steve

Dennis

Your exact quote was "I recently tried the Swarovski EL's 8x32 and sold them quickly because they didn't compare with my porros"

I was just pointing out that a few months ago that when you compared the Swarovski 8x32 ELs with your porros the porros were better, your exact words not mine. It is for reasons like this that when you do yet another 180 that most members are very skeptical of your posts. Of course the 8x32 EL you had in March could have been subpar......maybe sample variation??

Steve
Oh god! That was an old pair of Swaro 8x32 EL's not SV's. BIG DIFFERENCE! HaHa! The SV is a way better binocular.

Brock

I'll probably try one more 8x in the SE series just out of curiosity. Try as I might I can discern absolutely no difference in my earlier leaded glass version and my latest Eco glass version as far as sharpness/resolution. I've tested them for resolution under the night sky and on resolution charts both boosted and non boosted.

I do however notice (and prefer) the warmer color balance on the latest version. I used to think this difference in the warmness of colors in the orange/red spectrum was very subtle but it's actually fairly obvious when comparing the two versions side by side, on for example male cardinals and house finches.

Steve

Brock

Brock,

Stay alert!

I clued you into that 6 days ago!;)

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2816776&postcount=330

Bob

Actually, Jerry made mention of the existence of 551xxx serial number series in July!

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2779805&postcount=118

Brock ..... I assume you are speaking in jest on coating changes when Nikon incremented from 550xxx to 551xxx. Before the rumors get started, it appears Nikon just ran out of numbers when hitting unit 550999 and had to go to 551001. Annabeth reported her new purchase this year as 550978 and I recall seeing a post on a recent new purchase with even a higher 550xxx number (but I can not find it). So, it looks like Nikon did run out of numbers in the 550xxx series and had to increment to 551xxx.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2780239&postcount=124

As far as Bryce's original question, I have only owned an SE 8X32 for a month or so and have yet to develop a pattern of use. I am looking forward to the ducks returning this fall and winter to the reclaim ponds where I can get a close view of the flocks. I suspect SE will excel with the more realistic scaling in a porro, along with the great contrast and sharpness.

A few days ago i wanted to order a SE (again). After watching the price comparison pages in the internet several days suddenly Amazon.de came up and selling only 1 for 658€. I ordered it and received it 3 days ago. My serial number is 551046. Maybe it is interesting for brock ;)

Last edited:
A few days ago i wanted to order a SE (again). After watching the price comparison pages in the internet several days suddenly Amazon.de came up and selling only 1 for 658€. I ordered it and received it 3 days ago. My serial number is 551046. Maybe it is interesting for brock ;)

Congratulations! You got newer one than mine. The fact that the serial number is 551xxx proves that Nikon is still making the SE series. If we also see a 051xxx 10x42 SE and a 351xxx 12x50 SE out now, that would prove they are batch numbers, because no doubt the 8x32 model outsells the other two.

Whether or not they upgraded the coatings again remains to be seen, though it seems Bob is skeptical, but then again, he thinks Nikon makes hundreds if not a thousand SE prism housings stenciled with serial numbers in advance, stored in them in a warehouse somewhere, and then they just make new EPs and objectives for the new batches. So the 551s prism housing could have been made a decade ago, and Nikon is just getting around to adding EPs and objectives. ;)

The amount you paid converts to 741 USD, but if the price included VAT, it's about $60 less than the 8x32 SEs are selling for here. Anyway you cut it, you got the image quality of an "alpha" for about 1/3 the cost.

Let us know you like it when you've had a chance to get it out in the field.

Now I have to sell my "old technology" 550 so I can buy a 551! ;)

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back