• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barred Warbler (1 Viewer)

IanF

A new species for me today a Barred Warbler. Seen at Zinc Works Road, Seaton Carew. It gave very good viewings today but is was a very mobile bird constantly chasing flies and wasps through several bushes. I only managed one shot of it and at that not a very good one.

Photo - Barred Warbler

However views were a lot better clearly showing the bars on the underneath.

Last edited:
Great stuff Ian. Despite living on the east coast I've only ever managed to catch up with one Barred Warbler in this country myself. They always seem to be very elusive. I'm impressed your's was so active because the one I saw just sat in a bush not doing much. Very nice birds though.

Hi Ian,

Like Fifey, it took me a long time to get one of these, but I've seen a fair few now - they seem to be a bit like busses, you wait ages for one, and then see several

Michael

Jason, I was waiting for a Barred Warbler to show at Dawlish Warren like the last two autumns. No show (so far!).

Hi, Andrew

There's still time - just! I seem to remember that the last one was a November bird.

I saw one there back in 1994. There were actually 2 present, but I dipped on the other one. They usually seem to turn up at Dawlish, Prawle or Soar (and Lundy, of course) - but I guess that says more about observer coverage than the birds.

Not sure that we've had any in Devon this year?

Jason

Barred Warblers are one of my favourites too but I've yet to see a "barred" one. I agree with Michael that they are like buses: Wait forever to get a glimpse and then you see a few. I've managed to see four in Iceland now where they are still pretty rare. I was amazed to meet a Danish birder last year in Iceland who had travelled all over Europe and the rest of the world birding, world list over 2,000, but had never seen a Barred Warbler anywhere even though they must (?)breed in eastern Denmark.

E

Michael Frankis said:
Once came home to find a note on the message pad from my dad

Bard Warbler at St Mary's

He has too much Shakespeare on his mind 3:)

Michael

That's a hell of a twitch to the Scillies from your neck of the woods Michael!

Last edited:
Hi Edward,

A small handful of Barred Warblers used to breed in the far southeast of Denmark (15-30 pairs in the early 1970's: Danish Breeding Atlas) but I gather they've gone the way of UK Red-backed Shrikes - a slow decline to none, presumably likewise due to agricultural intensification making large insects hard to come by. But they still get a few on autumn passage, shouldn't be that hard a bird to twitch in Denmark (and if he's travelled 'all over Europe' - should be easy in Poland, Hungary, etc).

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Edward,

A small handful of Barred Warblers used to breed in the far southeast of Denmark (15-30 pairs in the early 1970's: Danish Breeding Atlas) but I gather they've gone the way of UK Red-backed Shrikes - a slow decline to none, presumably likewise due to agricultural intensification making large insects hard to come by. But they still get a few on autumn passage, shouldn't be that hard a bird to twitch in Denmark (and if he's travelled 'all over Europe' - should be easy in Poland, Hungary, etc).

Michael

Mange tak, Mikkel.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back