• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orchard Oriole? Monterey, California, USA (1 Viewer)

rkj

I saw this bird today at Laguna Grande Park in Monterey, California. I am fairly sure it is an Orchard Oriole, but am curious if anyone sees anything different in it. The bird was larger than nearby Yellow-rumped Warblers, but its size was hard to judge because its tail was reduced to a very short stub. I am not sure if this is the result of normal molt or of some misadventure. The bird was solidly lemon yellow below. It was a dark day and all of my photos showed a dark bird against a dark sky. I have brightened each one with photo editing software, but the result produces a color more orange-yellow than the bird appeared in life. I never got a very good look at the upperparts, but the wings were dark with (it seemed) a single wing bar. They also looked like they might be in molt, however. The bill looks oriole-like, though rather thin. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• OROR 1 Nov 22 c1.JPG
    OROR 1 Nov 22 c1.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 20
  • OROR 1 Nov 22 c2.JPG
    OROR 1 Nov 22 c2.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 19
  • OROR 1 Nov 22 d1.JPG
    OROR 1 Nov 22 d1.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 17
  • OROR 1 Nov 22 d2.JPG
    OROR 1 Nov 22 d2.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 15
  • OROR 1 Nov 22 e1.JPG
    OROR 1 Nov 22 e1.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 16
  • OROR 1 Nov 22 e2.JPG
    OROR 1 Nov 22 e2.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 17
  • OROR 1 Nov 22 g1.JPG
    OROR 1 Nov 22 g1.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 15
  • OROR 1 Nov 22 g2.JPG
    OROR 1 Nov 22 g2.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 17
It is definitely an Oriole. The odds that this is a rare Orchard Oriole are relatively high, due to 2 factors -

1. There is one known to be at this park
2. It is getting late for usual species of Orioles to be around.

Neither of the 2 factors above are enough to confirm anything of course. From these photos, there is nothing visible that is diagnostic in separating it from a Hooded Oriole as far as I can tell. I am looking at the bill size and shape and speculating on it myself, but I have to remain uncertain for now.

Last edited:
Thanks. Looking on ebird, I see that on 23 October the Orchard Oriole that has been at the park for some weeks was photographed missing most of its tail, so this is surely the same bird. Looked very odd with that short little tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back