• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya Birds 06 Misc (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
Photos 1 and 2. We saw a flock of lapwings which I think was mixed Black-winged (Photo 1) and Senegal (Photo 2). Both are new to me, so confirmation would be helpful.

Photos 3 and 4: Is this LBJ from Mount Kenya identifiable?

Photo 5: What's this? (Samburu)

Attachments

• Black-winged.jpg
    Black-winged.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Senegal.jpg
    Senegal.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 130428231 Kenya.jpg
    130428231 Kenya.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 130428232 Kenya.jpg
    130428232 Kenya.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 130429292 Kenya.jpg
    130429292 Kenya.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 36
Photo 6 and Photo 7: We saw Green Wood-hoopoe in Sweetwaters (no photos here). These two photos are from Samburu, and we didn't get a close look. Is it possible to tell if they are Violet or Green (I think both are possible in Samburu)?

Photo 8: Is this a juvenile Fischer's Starling?

Photo 9: Near Baringo, we saw Little, Northern Masked and Jackson's Golden-backed Weavers. This looks like Speke's, but we didn't see any others there.

Photo 10: Red-mantled Widowbird. Is the small bird on the right a female widowbird, or might it be a Whydah?

Thanks to those who followed all the way through. That's all (at least for the moment).

Attachments

• 130430342 Kenya.jpg
    130430342 Kenya.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 130430343 Kenya.jpg
    130430343 Kenya.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 130502256 Kenya.jpg
    130502256 Kenya.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 130504044 Kenya.jpg
    130504044 Kenya.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Small Bird Whydah.jpg
    Small Bird Whydah.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 23
No books to hand, so I'm going to leave most of them, apart from the putataive Fischer's starling which is screaming Prodotiscus Honeybird at me. No idea which species though.

Cheers

James

No books to hand, so I'm going to leave most of them, apart from the putataive Fischer's starling which is screaming Prodotiscus Honeybird at me. No idea which species though.

I'd love it to be this, since I didn't see and have never seen a Honeybird/Honeyguide. But the problem is, this bird has a yellow eye. And it's this, plus the black line leading up to the eye, plus general colouration, plus the fact that we saw Fischer's Starling in the same park that made me go for this identification.

Attachments

• 130502256F Kenya.jpg
    130502256F Kenya.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 19
-1/2: confirmed
-3/4: African dusky flycatcher
-5: Pink-breasted lark
-6/7: always difficult on pics but Violet seems likely (no obvious green shine)
-8: stumped! Not a Fischer's starling; James's suggestion is interesting, I guess there is no other picture?
-9: Speke's sounds good but another picture wouldn't hurt
-10: the right bird is a whydah...you're really getting good at this game Mac!

Mac,

Regarding bird 8, I believe James was right. It must be a Wahlberg's honeyguide. That was my conclusion after his comment (really well done James!), but I was unhappy with the tail pattern (lacking a dark tip). Now that I have checked Stenvenson and Fanshawe's as well as Zimmerman and al.: juvenile Wahlberg's has an all white undertail, something I forgot obviously!

In short: I don't see a yellow eye, the jizz fits Wahlberg's...and I don't see any other option!

That's phenomenal of you both, James and Tib, and my mistake with the yellow eye. Immature Wahlberg's Honeybird it is.

Hi all,

Good job guys, sorry to be late, I was in the field...

eye-colour of the weaver shouts Speke's, and juv Walhberg's got me in the field already, in Bogoria, so I confirm this one too.

Cheers

Hi all...eye-colour of the weaver shouts Speke's

Hi Valery, and thanks. The Speke's is strange only because, while we saw large flocks of them in other places, we didn't see any in Bogoria except this lone individual, even though we were walking around where we saw this bird for about an hour (we saw lots of Northern Masked and Jackson's Golden-backed).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back