• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia, Windhoek (1 Viewer)

I think the beak is too chunky, the culmen too rounded with overall appearance of the beak too pointed.
What about Juvenile Chestnut Weaver?

Edit It has a weaver feel to me, so what are the possiblities?

Southern Masked - maybe a juvenile. I have no experience of these
Lesser Masked - ruled out on bill size and colour
Chestnut - maybe a juvenile. I have no experience of these

What about juvenile Red-billed Quelea?

Last edited:
I think the beak is too chunky, the culmen too rounded with overall appearance of the beak too pointed.
What about Juvenile Chestnut Weaver?

Edit It has a weaver feel to me, so what are the possiblities?

Southern Masked - maybe a juvenile. I have no experience of these
Lesser Masked - ruled out on bill size and colour
Chestnut - maybe a juvenile. I have no experience of these

What about juvenile Red-billed Quelea?

Weaver or Canary was my first thought Andy but I checked all these, none of the Weavers are so brown or so streaky.

I checked the Quelea too but don't think it's that?

I think it's the Bishop, assuming these images are correctly identified of course.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...pNrQAhVEChoKHZKSCu4Q_AUICCgB&biw=1366&bih=631

A

Last edited:
Weaver or Canary was my first thought Andy but I checked all these, none of the Weavers are so brown.

A

That's my dilema Andy. I tend to visit African countries in Jan-Feb, its a lot cooler! I haven't seen any juveniles as a consequence and trying to find photos on the net is quite difficult.

EDIT: I'm loath to use google images as you can't rely on them being accurate. Take the Lechwe for example, I've never seen those in a nest or flying!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back