• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpha Binoculars - Are they worth it ? (1 Viewer)

In my case I did a LOT! of research, tried every "alpha" that's currently manufactured (no joke i did). I determined that the difference between alpha and sub alpha was a very small percentage in emotionally detached terms ie.no brand loyalty and no tendency to buy something for status or acceptance. When an unexpected Demo sale let me move to a level hard to distinguish from the alphas at a price less than I had decided I would spend I bought. The only temptation to upgrade would be the new SF' and that mostly because they are the only alpha I haven't looked threw. Buy at whatever level lets you quit reading reviews and comparisons and enjoy your birding.
End of sermon.
Steve

I think the answer lies in what are your priorities?

I have the Conquest HD, for me it would be foolish for me to spend the extra on an alpha when I cant really see the difference. But if all I owned were the Prime HD Zens, same answer. I cant see enough difference to make me want to spend the bucks. And right now, my fortunes have changed and I could buy any glass I wanted with no sweating it at all. But I would be more inclined to spend the money on trips to use the glass I now have, or a new table saw, or a new target rifle, or my wife a new necklace. Binos are way down on my list.

Others will surely have different opinions.

I dont think anyone should have to be humble because they have top of the line optics, but neither do I think one should say mine are clearly superior to yours. (which is the way your other thread kind of sounded)

This isn't that thread, and I don't intend for this one to be argumentative in any way. I am just interested in hearing peoples take on the issue. My opinion on the subject has been made very well known in other posts.

(which is the way your other thread kind of sounded)

I always loved optics, been crazed for the two eyed view, and have owned a whole lot of seriously crappy binoculars. But, I have not owned any bona fide "second tier" models. Many people say you can buy alpha quality for half the price, and I have no reason to doubt it. Certainly there is a surcharge for the red spot, the hawk, the blue badge. The good Chinese workers who build binoculars probably don't drive BMWs, ski on weekends, and drink better beer than me, and the difference stays in your pocket. But I can tell you one thing, alphas are good.

Ron

Do the top binoculars from Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski, truly have a superior view and high value, or are they severely over priced for what they offer. Is it a name recognition thing ? The Alpha owners seem to be fairly tight lipped, so everyone give an opinion. I ask the question based on the mostly negative response I received after mentioning that I had made an Alpha purchase and was well pleased. I didn't realize the mere mention of it would touch a nerve with so many people. I don't want this to become uncivil, it just seems like an interesting topic.

Bruce
I have had a LOT of binoculars as you all know and I really feel alpha's are worth the difference in price. I have compared a LOT of binoculars to my Swarovski SV 8x32's and for birding I have found that overall they are the best binocular for me and when I bring them up to my eyes I always go "WOW". Is that wrong? I paid $1500 for them and I don't think that is a huge investment for what works the best for me. I can see the difference between the alphas and a mid-priced binocular like the Zeiss Conquest easily. Yes, it may be only a 10% improvement but it is there. What's $500 to have the best for me. Why not have the best if you can afford it? The alpha's often times have better warranty support, they are built better and they have better resale. Another big thing is TIME! How much is your time worth? If you buy an alpha you don't have to spend all your time looking for a better binocular to trade yours in on. You now nothing else is going to be any better. No more late night searches on Ebay or Astromart looking for the Holy Grail of a binocular that is better than yours. I really honestly think the only reason not to own an alpha is your budget won't allow it. It is all economics.

I like top-end (and alpha) birding bins best because they have (for the most part) slightly superior performance in a multitude of little ways that all add up to a more satisfying instrument. The big downside is proportionally very high price.

The one way in which the alphas (plus Nikon in its best roof prism bins) really set themselves apart in a big way from the competition performance-wise is in precise focus operation that maintains smooth operation at cold temperatures. The cheaper bins, including all I have tried from China thus far, do not do this. One would think that optics would be the biggest challenge for binocular design, but it seems that precise gearing and the use of grease free designs or multiviscosity grease are the real challenges. As someone who spends winters in Minnesota, this aspect of performance is very important to me and a deal-breaker for 99% of non-alphas.

The topic of alpha level performance and the definition of alpha has been discussed at length on Birdforum. Here are links to some of my favorite posts of my own in long threads on these topics.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2819083&highlight=alpha+status#post2819083
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2816887&highlight=alpha+status#post2816887
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2487591&highlight=alpha+status#post2487591
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2312402&highlight=alpha+status#post2312402

--AP

Yes for optics, yes for fit, yes for handling, yes for quality of materials, yes for warranty (Swaro)

They do have to work more on their FOV though, as they are increasingly being sidelined in this aspect by the new Zeiss Victory SF and even many mid-range binos! :smoke:

If you want a pair of binoculars that'll work day in, day out in world habitats, let you ID little brown jobs stuck in the middle of a bush, shorebirds, high flying raptors, those small dots out to sea or female ducks in the middle if a lake and last for decades then, yes, alphas are worth it.

I like top-end (and alpha) birding bins best because they have (for the most part) slightly superior performance in a multitude of little ways that all add up to a more satisfying instrument. The big downside is proportionally very high price.

The one way in which the alphas (plus Nikon in its best roof prism bins) really set themselves apart in a big way from the competition performance-wise is in precise focus operation that maintains smooth operation at cold temperatures. The cheaper bins, including all I have tried from China thus far, do not do this. One would think that optics would be the biggest challenge for binocular design, but it seems that precise gearing and the use of grease free designs or multiviscosity grease are the real challenges. As someone who spends winters in Minnesota, this aspect of performance is very important to me and a deal-breaker for 99% of non-alphas.

The topic of alpha level performance and the definition of alpha has been discussed at length on Birdforum. Here are links to some of my favorite posts of my own in long threads on these topics.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2819083&highlight=alpha+status#post2819083
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2816887&highlight=alpha+status#post2816887
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2487591&highlight=alpha+status#post2487591
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2312402&highlight=alpha+status#post2312402

--AP
Your correct. Even though the Chinese binoculars have quite good optics there is always one weakness in them like cold weather focusing. With Alphas you don't have to put up with any of those little frustrations. Just use them and they ALWAYS work in any weather. No fuss and No problems.

What is it they say? If you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it, it probably isn't! ;)

I`v found that if something is genuinely worth the price you paid you quickly forget how much it cost, and never consider it, but if it is`nt worth the price, it`ll remind you every time its in use.

I`v found that if something is genuinely worth the price you paid you quickly forget how much it cost, and never consider it, but if it is`nt worth the price, it`ll remind you every time its in use.

A little like a pair of £150 shoes I bought 5 years ago, been soled and heeled about 5 times at a cost of £25 a time, BUT are so very comfortable and used nearly every day !!!

From a purely monetary point of view, I bought my first 'Alpha' a pair of Leica BA's, 20 ish years ago for £800. On that basis they have cost me less than £1 per week. That is worth it. The fact that I have had no issues, never had to worry about them going wrong is worth it. Then there's the view which was ( and still is) fantastic. The only reason I recently bought a new pair (not Leicas this time) was I have developed a liking for 8x rather than 10x (possibly age creeping up on me and a brighter view is more desireable) and the newer models definitely have an edge optically. But I think its worth it. My time is precious and I want to have the best views I can in the limited time I have available.

None of us will regret on our death-beds having bought and used the best binoculars we could get. (Unless of course we die of malnutrition, having blown our pensions on optics).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back