• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (5 Viewers)

Driving back from a few days in Cornwall this afternoon and I am fairly sure there was a dead Golden Pheasant by the side of the road about four miles past the Roadford turn off. I was driving at 70mph at the time so can't be totally sure. Shame it had to fly all the way from Norfolk and then get killed!!!!. Roger

It was interesting to watch a Rock Pipit the other day. It rose into the air like a skylark although only about 20 metres. It then descended as skylarks do too.

For anyone interested in wildlife art painted in the field by artists/wildlife enthusiasts there is an exhibition at the Goodwin Gallery, Petroc Brannams Campus Barnstaple. It runs from Monday 16 April to Friday 11 May 2012 10am to 4pm

Please search the following if you need any further information:

www.drawnfromnature.co.uk

You can find there contact details of Petroc plus examples of some of the work available from perhaps people you have met while out in the field yourself.

Wildlife painter and illustrator Warren Collum organised this exciting exhibition that brings together the work of some of Britain’s leading wildlife artists who choose to work directly from life in the field. They have developed methods of drawing and painting rapidly on the spot and concentrate on capturing the life and vitality of their subjects rather than producing detailed portraits. This fresh and honest approach captures the enjoyment of watching wildlife in the field and records many beautifully observed ‘moments in time’.

Please can you pass this information to anyone you know has an interest in Natural History or in Wildlife Art

Last edited:
Wheatear at Instow - our first of the year yesterday.

The wildlife art exhibition at Petroc was well worth the visit. :t: Well done Warren Collum. It could do with more visitors though!

A Raven on the beach by the slipway at Westward Ho! The Raven was being buzzed by a Crow and the Crow was being buzzed by a Jackdaw. Quite a sight for 30 seconds or so!

Baggy Point yesterday -Gannet, Fulmar, Raven, Wheatear, Rock Pipit, Swallow, Sand Martin, House Martin, Stonechat, Whitethroat, Goldfinch, Cormorant, Linnet and the loudest wren we have ever heard.

Today near Fremington, a Buzzard suprised by us under the canopy of trees we were walking then later the same Buzzard? being mobbed by a Magpie (well I never). Plus Blackcaps, Red Legged Partridge x 3 (always a joy to see) and more.

Lundy Island

Been to Fremington Pill today. Redshank numbers are building up well also a couple of Greenshank, a Grey Heron and two Little Egrets plus the usual gulls. Watched the Grey Heron trying to down an eel that it had caught, after struggling for a few minutes it gave up and flew off.

Hi. Just read your few words about the Heron at Fremington key. Often run my boat Willow up the estuary and to Lundy Island. Have had many bird watchers asking about trips to lundy and just joined this forum. Have you any advise on how to get the word out on the forum that I offer this service. Willow is a fully coded boat. Many thanks

Does anyone know whether the Savis at Topsham has been seen, or only heard?
Great part of the world, and i'm overdue a visit to see my cousin and his family nr Exeter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back