• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2024 - Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Went to see the local Cat E Black Swan at the weekend. Only added common species to my list, except for encountering my first Ring-necked Parakeets within the boundaries of Swindon. That was unexpected.

A Tawny Owl was calling when I cycled home from work. A colleague had noticed a new bike in the stands and came to inquire if it was mine, haha!

A nice day with ten year ticks, mostly in the municipality where I live. It helped that this was the first time I spent a bit more time in or near forest.
So I finally got my woodpecker list in order (with (displaying) Lesser Spotted, Black and Middle Spotted), saw the first Red Kite of the year and managed two Eurasian Treecreepers.

After a break in Cape Verde, I have been out walking locally again from home in the last few days and picked up two additions to move me to 76 on foot this year from home (of 93 on my patch).

75​
Coot
12-Feb-24​
76​
Mediterranean Gull
14-Feb-24​

Both already on the UK List.

Coot is a rare bird for us in Clevedon.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Coot 002.jpg
    Coot 002.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Mediterranean Gull 001.jpg
    Mediterranean Gull 001.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • Mediterranean Gull 005.jpg
    Mediterranean Gull 005.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Mediterranean Gull 006.jpg
    Mediterranean Gull 006.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Mediterranean Gull 009.jpg
    Mediterranean Gull 009.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I finally added Willow Tit (which always requires a bit of searching) and Grey Wagtail (which is conspicuously absent from its local haunts).

Spent an extended weekend in the High Fens, with a couple of species more typical of E Belgium -- including Black Grouse, Crane, Great Grey Shrike, Eurasian Treecreeper, etc.

IMG_6145-Grus_grus.JPG

I finally added Willow Tit (which always requires a bit of searching) and Grey Wagtail (which is conspicuously absent from its local haunts).
You had actually seen Grey Wagtail on 1 Jan, though, Jan Hein. ;)
(White Wagtail is also twice in your list, as well as Velvet Scoter. The latter being recorded in red on 1 Jan, in addition to the genuine thing on 7 Jan -- the red one seems to have accidentally replaced Egyptian Goose...?)

Willow Tit is, sadly, a thing of the past in the area where I live. (The last one I saw less than an hour of cycling from home was 8 years ago.) I didn't run into one elsewhere this year yet, either.

Last edited:
You had actually seen Grey Wagtail on 1 Jan, though, Jan Hein. ;)
(White Wagtail is also twice in your list, as well as Velvet Scoter. The latter being recorded in red on 1 Jan, in addition to the genuine thing on 7 Jan -- the red one seems to have accidentally replaced Egyptian Goose...?)
Not paying attention to my own list that well then... I'll have a look!

Spent an extended weekend in the High Fens, with a couple of species more typical of E Belgium -- including Black Grouse, Crane, Great Grey Shrike, Eurasian Treecreeper, etc.

Willow Tit is, sadly, a thing of the past in the area where I live. (The last one I saw less than an hour of cycling from home was 8 years ago.) I didn't run into one elsewhere this year yet, either.
Black Grouse would have been easily possible from my place of birth by bike 35 years ago. There is a "Birkhahnweg" north from where I live now, but I assume that dates back to the 1950s...
No Great Grey Shrike anywhere close this year... maybe in autumn again.

I don't really understand what makes Willow Tit so sensitive. In the UK it is almost completely gone now. A friend of mine thinks it's the isolation of all the forest patches they live in.

The highlight at the office today (when I arrived this morning) was a singing Black Redstart. There are usually three or four in the small industrial estate.

This is fun! It's what I'm doing (most of) my whole life. The first decades not on purpose, I simply liked cycling and took my binos with me. And I did a lot of car trips with friends to observation posts and hides but it didn't feel like 'nature' to me. Slowly, over the years, this feeling got the upper hand, it is hard to describe. For the last 15 years all my birding trips are green: no airplane, no car, public transport is allowed but only in my own country to get to my birding holiday location, it's all about cycling and hiking. Admittedly, this is a small country, totally flat, built for cyclists with separate roads for them everywhere. Nature reserves are within cycling distances for day trips. In my case 125 km back and forth with 8 birding hours is no problem. A day like that feels like 'nature' to me.

Last edited:
This is fun! It's what I'm doing (most of) my whole life. The first decades not on purpose, I simply liked cycling and took my binos with me. And I did a lot of car trips with friends to observation posts and hides but it didn't feel like 'nature' to me. Slowly, over the years, this feeling got the upper hand, it is hard to describe. For the last 15 years all my birding trips are green: no airplane, no car, public transport is allowed but only in my own country to get to my birding holiday location, it's all about cycling and hiking. Admittedly, this is a small country, totally flat, built for cyclists with separate roads for them everywhere. Nature reserves are within cycling distances for day trips. In my case 125 km back and forth with 8 birding hours is no problem. A day like that feels like 'nature' to me.
So just add your list to the excel sheet (in post 1) and list along! It's not a race: that has been won by Laurent already.

So just add your list to the excel sheet (in post 1) and list along! It's not a race: that has been won by Laurent already.

I'm not that high at all, actually. ;)
(Haven't really been trying, either. I'll be in S France half of May and most of June, anyway, so would not be very likely to break any record this year.)

For a real high score (not a BirdForum member), see this : March 2nd: And I finally arrive in Empordà

Oystercatcher heard during a walk this evening. Quite rare where I live --- I also wonder if the nearest regular location will be suitable this year after major works in the river bed.

A trip to the Rhine yielded a few expected additions (e.g. White-tailed Eagle on the nest; luckily the male flew in and started calling to make the experience a bit more exciting). It was a rather quiet day though with no real surprises (I missed Golden Plover by minutes), but finding Yellow Star-of-Bethlehem (which I knew should be "somewhere") made it a worthwhile trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back