• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

anywhere to get the 23x/30x eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

zone8848

this eyepiece seems hard to find, haven't seen one in ebay for long long time, maybe it's too good and people just want to keep it?

It seems this eyepiece is achieving some posthumous fame though I understand it only sold in homoeopathic quantities, when it was in production. Alas, most birders seem to want zooms.
I have an older example on my 65 mm Diascope and, despite a somewhat yellowish tinge, it is very pleasant to use with good eye relief and a wide fov.
I saw one in the shop window of a local dealer recently and if all else fails, you could PM me and I could enquire.
Alternatively, you might consider using a 1 1/4" astronomical eyepiece with the Zeiss adapter. The Vixen LVWs have a good reputation and the 17 mm would give you the same magnification. I also have some experience with the 19 mm Televue Panoptic (20x/26x), which is colour neutral and very good. The drawbacks are rather tight eye relief for glasses wearers and fairly pronounced pincussion distortion.

John

It seems this eyepiece is achieving some posthumous fame though I understand it only sold in homoeopathic quantities, when it was in production. Alas, most birders seem to want zooms.
I have an older example on my 65 mm Diascope and, despite a somewhat yellowish tinge, it is very pleasant to use with good eye relief and a wide fov.
I saw one in the shop window of a local dealer recently and if all else fails, you could PM me and I could enquire.
Alternatively, you might consider using a 1 1/4" astronomical eyepiece with the Zeiss adapter. The Vixen LVWs have a good reputation and the 17 mm would give you the same magnification. I also have some experience with the 19 mm Televue Panoptic (20x/26x), which is colour neutral and very good. The drawbacks are rather tight eye relief for glasses wearers and fairly pronounced pincussion distortion.

John

thank you very much for your offer, i think i should start searching for some wideangle astronomy eyepieces as you suggested, there are many options avaliable.
cheers

I use a Baader 17mm on my Zeiss Diascope 85mm when I want 30x. It´s very wide, very bright and crisp. Not waterproof, with an odd eyecup if you don´t wear glasses, but a lovely eyepiece nonetheless. (It has more CA than I´d like - I think I read somewhere that this is in the scope, not the eyepiece, but I´m not sure as I don´t see it in other eyepieces on the same scope).

Last edited:
I have some of the eyepieces that have been mentioned by John and Sancho (19mm Panoptic, 17mm Hyperion) as well as a Zeiss 23/30x. I use them on astronomical scopes, one of which (Takahashi SKY90) has a similar focal ratio to the Zeiss Diascope. I agree with John's and Sancho's observations. The Hyperion does have more lateral CA than the Zeiss no matter what telescope it's combined with, but like all eyepieces it has less lateral color when it's used in higher focal ratio scopes. The Zeiss is pretty well corrected for lateral color even in low focal ratio scopes like the Diascope. The major weaknesses of my Zeiss sample of this eyepiece are unimpressive light transmission and a yellow color bias.

Sancho, are you using the eyecup on the Hyperion in the rolled up position? It didn't look like a roll-up eyecup to me when I first got it, so it took me a while to notice that it's adjustable.

Sancho, are you using the eyecup on the Hyperion in the rolled up position? It didn't look like a roll-up eyecup to me when I first got it, so it took me a while to notice that it's adjustable.

Thanks Henry, I think our eyecups must be different. Mine involve two thin rubber rings that simply cover the adapter-threads on the eyepiece. I can either put them on, or take them off, but I can´t adjust their "height". It doesn´t matter, because I want full-retraction anyway (for my glasses). The first photo shows it with the rings on, the second with them off, exposing threads.

Zone8848 - as John pointed out, you´ll need a Zeiss-Baader adapter to attach the Baader 17mm (and, I think, other astro-eyepieces) to your Diascope. It´s called the ´Baader Planetarium Eu-Diascope 1 1/4" adapter´. You can see it attached in the third photo. I think it cost about 25 sterling. You can also see from the second photo that this eyepiece has a wonderfully wide ocular lens, making it very comfortable on the eye, and superb with glasses.

Last edited:
Sancho,

I just noticed your photos. Here are some photos of my Hyperion. It also has two rubber rings. In the folded position the upper ring on mine looks just like yours and the fit is so tight that it fooled me into believing it was a solid piece. Try picking at the bottom of the upper ring to see if it will pop up.

Henry

Attachments

• DSC_1268.JPG
    DSC_1268.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_1266.JPG
    DSC_1266.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 171
I received a PM from deBult concerning this eyepiece but was unable to reply.
If he sees this he might like to correct his profile.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back