• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 50-500mm OS for birdi photography (1 Viewer)

rich, i`ve just started using the nikon d90/sigma 150-500 combo but not had results anything like your flickr images. the light has been far from ideal, i`ve been shooting manual, mostly @f8 with iso up to 1000. would appreciate any tips. thanks.
apologies to op for slight thread hijack;)

Sorry for delay Firebrace, but been out of the UK for the last month.
Firstly I was surprised at how easy the 150-500 was to use even handheld. I usually use my hand and a hide shelf to brace or if lying on the ground a beanbag. I tried not to exceed iso 800 with the D90 and whenever the sun popped out knocked the iso down to base. I found the IS very good for 2stops. Watch your bird and notice that mostly they move in a periodic way. Try and time shots to the moment they change direction when they are effectively still (ish). I use spot metering and focus and high speed continuous and take bursts of 2-3 shots. Often the second is just sharper than the first.

I use a brighter lens now but really enjoy the freedom of working with the D90 sigma handheld when I want to travel light and birdwatch.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Rich

Thanks for feedback and samples. Has anyone used the new Bigma with TC's for insane reach? :D

I have a Non OS EX DG 50-500 in Pentax mount, nothing wrong with the IQ.

I have also tried it with a Sigma 1.4 Converter and I have to say I am not impressed with the results, I have found cropping produces a far better images than using the converter.

For sample images, all the bird shots in my PPG were taken with the 50-500

and I rarely use it at the 50 end too.

The 50-500 is a lens for all reasons. I love mine. (view my gallery for birds).
It can be use for identifying birds caught fleetingly with its reasonably fast AF or it easy to manipulate manual focus. The AF is very quiet.
The OS is very good and quiet to but does take about 1/2 sec to function. Dont need binos either as you can get good image stabilized views . Catch the odd at landscape at 50 and capture butterflies, flies and flowers all with just one GREAT lens.
Love mine to bits. Sharp throughout the range and worth every penny

The 50-500 is a lens for all reasons. I love mine. (view my gallery for birds).
It can be use for identifying birds caught fleetingly with its reasonably fast AF or it easy to manipulate manual focus. The AF is very quiet.
The OS is very good and quiet to but does take about 1/2 sec to function. Dont need binos either as you can get good image stabilized views . Catch the odd at landscape at 50 and capture butterflies, flies and flowers all with just one GREAT lens.
Love mine to bits. Sharp throughout the range and worth every penny

I fully agree with your assessment of the 50-500. I find that image quality at 500mm is roughly equal to that of my 300 f/4 prime with a 1.4x teleconverter attached, but the Sigma focuses much faster. I randomly pointed it at a passing flock of birds and snapped off the attached shot, and was only able to see that they were cedar waxwings when I zoomed in on the camera LCD!

Attachments

• 5710741568_fbe4a5e15d_b_d.jpg
    5710741568_fbe4a5e15d_b_d.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 297
I fully agree with your assessment of the 50-500. I find that image quality at 500mm is roughly equal to that of my 300 f/4 prime with a 1.4x teleconverter attached, but the Sigma focuses much faster.

Is that a Nikor AF-S 300 f4?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back