• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler Crete (1 Viewer)

hannu said:
I meaned that in my mind e.g. Acros are easier to id in nature many times, if you have experience ! Everyone can read from this thread that it's not easy to id even you have experience. How about voice of these species ? Does it differ clearly?

Yes, usual contact calls and song are quite different.

Acros are quite bad! Maybe I should go to your area to learn also a bit about those.

Last edited:
Motmot said:
Yes, usual contact calls and song are quite different.

Acros are quite bad! Maybe I should go to your area to learn also a bit about those.

First two weeks in June is the best time to learn these Acros ! Very easy to id with the help of song ! Welcome, Motmot ! Maybe I'll add some summary about id of these Acros (Blyth's Reed & Marsh) to my ringing thread later.
I have to study these Sylvias more !

Dimitris said:
Come to Greece we have 100ds of them Hannu and they are evrywhere in spring. Had 5 species in one bush!

Thanx Dimi!
Some chief of the Greek ringers ( maybe woman, named Maria?) offered to opportunity to ring somewhere in Greece's island in last year (long period) ! Maybe some day !

If you dont have the book I mentioned Hannu, get it, for starters. Expensive yes, but well worth the money!

JanJ

Price even has gone up after this thread : A rissen demand at Amazon.
I need it for a Desert Lesser Whitethroat near Eilat.(Espensive bird then)
Hadoram was asking for the outer tail feather pattern at the time.
Had no clue about that but I had never seen such a pale sandy coloured Lesser Whitethroat. Nor afterwards
The halimondendri in Holland last winter was a dark bird compared to that.

Last edited:
JANJ said:
If you dont have the book I mentioned Hannu, get it, for starters. Expensive yes, but well worth the money!

JanJ
quite expensive, the book has been in my mind a few times, but always something important in my shopping list...
Amazon uk : £57.00 (new)
Lintuvaruste (Finland): 99 Euros (new)

hannu said:
Thanx Dimi!
Some chief of the Greek ringers ( maybe woman, named Maria?) offered to opportunity to ring somewhere in Greece's island in last year (long period) ! Maybe some day !

That would be the island of Antikythera. I have volunteered to go there this year but unfortunately the chief ringer has quit... :( so we don't if the ringing session will happen at all this year. Pity as I was hoping to get some ringing experience as well as the chance to have great views of some Greek rares (Blue-cheeked Bee-eater, Rosefinch, etc)

and they ring for about 2 months autum time.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back