• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade from Nikon/Sigma to Canon/Canon (1 Viewer)

Thanks for your comment Paul. If I get time I'll try experimenting with varying the levels more, maybe posting a couple of results in the photocritique section.

Any chance of seeing a few samples of your images and a little more information on what you're not happy with. Its possible that a fine tune of technique or post processing could make a big difference without having to shell out a chunk of money on changing your kit.

Hi Paul, although I've ordered the new gear, I'd be foolish to decline your offer of advice. You were most helpful when I first got my Sigma lens back in March 2006!

Here are a few of my best images. I put them through Noiseware Community noise-reducing software then gave them basic tweaks (contrast, brightness, saturation, sharpening) on Photofiltre. It's not that I'm not happy with them, but I believe (recklessly?) that the Canon equipment will do better.

What free or cheapish processing software would you recommend? Or is it worth getting hold of, say, Photoshop Elements 5, a used, as new copy of which can be bought on Amazon for under £15?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• CollaredFalconet1 - Copy.jpg
    CollaredFalconet1 - Copy.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 151
  • CKingfisher - Copy.jpg
    CKingfisher - Copy.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 156
  • BhOriole3 - Copy.jpg
    BhOriole3 - Copy.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 152
  • AfJacana - Copy.jpg
    AfJacana - Copy.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 129
  • AcornWoodpecker1 - Copy.jpg
    AcornWoodpecker1 - Copy.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 147
As I've switched from Nikon myself (last year) I can understand very well your argument.
Enjoy your new gear and get the best out of it!

PS Elements is a good introduction to image editing, but you may find it to basic and limited in some situations.

An alternative (but not as cheap) is Lightroom. Many pros are starting to prefer it to Photoshop.
It's a very powerful software that might bring a lot more benefits on the long run.

Lowest I've seen is 109£ on Amazon.

Last edited:
Hi Paul, although I've ordered the new gear, I'd be foolish to decline your offer of advice. You were most helpful when I first got my Sigma lens back in March 2006!

Here are a few of my best images. I put them through Noiseware Community noise-reducing software then gave them basic tweaks (contrast, brightness, saturation, sharpening) on Photofiltre. It's not that I'm not happy with them, but I believe (recklessly?) that the Canon equipment will do better.

What free or cheapish processing software would you recommend? Or is it worth getting hold of, say, Photoshop Elements 5, a used, as new copy of which can be bought on Amazon for under £15?

Thanks in advance.

Well they look good to me :t:
They are well presented and show that you've got a good eye for an image.
I'm guessing that some of them may be cropped a bit (lot?) in which case the new kit obviously won't give you any more reach but, in my experience of similar lenses, the quality of the 400 f5.6 should let you crop into the image more without it degrading compared to the zoom.

I look forward to seeing shots from the new kit, you'll certainly do it justice.

Re the software I'm afraid I can't help much. Because I need some of its functions I use CS3 and don't know much about the alternatives.

Thanks Paul. Yes, they are mostly cropped a lot, as I'm a birder who takes photographs (on the hoof) as opposed to a bird-photographer. Maybe I'll gradually metamorphose into the latter. Thanks again for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back