• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audio Only ID help - San Antonio, Tx. (1 Viewer)

rubonix

We had our windows open in our house today and my wife called me downstairs cause she was hearing a loud 2 note call that repeated n that she wasn't familiar with. Or I.

http://www.alt-take.com/unknownbirdcall.mp3

I came down and then went outside to see if I could get a view. The call was pretty loud and it was about 50 yards away at least. I walked out to the street and could determine that it was coming from the property across the road. I could never get a view or determine whether the audio was coming from a tree or down low near the ground. I did get a few IPhone audio snippets of this one or 2 note repeated sharp call. Our habitat is mixed oak, juniper/cedar with cactus and grasses.

I would appreciate any comments or insight that might point us in the right direction.

Thx

Ruben
San Antonio, Tx.

Is it that sharp "peek - peek - peek" call?

Sounds like a very upset Red Squirrel (often mistaken for a bird, around here) to me... in Texas, you might have another rodent that sounds similar.

Peter

Yes am referring to the sharp sound that is a double or single sound. Since I didn't see it, I'm sure it could be anything. We have several types of squirrels here. The reddish colored Eastern Fox Squirrel (I believe is the name) and the darker mostly black Rock Squirrel, aside from other mammals in the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back