• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird - no tail. (1 Viewer)

John P

Usually on a different wavelength
Around about last September a regular female Blackbird in my garden had only the two outer tail feathers, one on each side.

I assumed that there had either been a cat problem or it was moulting and would regrow the other feathers.

This bird is still around on a regular basis and now has no tail feathers at all. Is this not an overly long timescale for growing new feathers, or is there likely to be some other problem? The bird appears to be fit and healthy otherwise.

I have a Blackbird in my garden with no tail too, she has no feathers on the top of her head as well so not sure what that's all about!

Xlnt question and coincidence, as I espied a white-crowned sparrow at the feeders yesterday with no tail at all. Somehow seemed to get around alright, but I also would like to know what this signifies. In my case I don't see molt having anything to do with it. Some sort of weird genetic thing?

I saw a Carolina Chickadee and a Mourning Dove last winter without their tails. I posted the question on our local birding listserv. Most replies suggested that maybe their tail feathers got frozen on some branches when the birds were roosting, and got torn off when the birds decided to get up. But in warmer weathers like now, other causes like predator or disease are more likely, unless the birds roost in refrigerated trailers at night. ;)

I have had a bluetit in my garden for five or six months with no tail. I assumed she lost it in a close encounter with a sparrowhawk. I worried about her all winter but she continued to feed on the feeders and flitted around, she didn't fly as well as the others and didn't seem to go far. It's started to re-grow a little and she has found a mate and is nesting in one of my nest boxes so I haven't seen her for a few weeks but I'm pretty confident that she's sitting on eggs as her mate is around.

Earlier this year at an upland forest I saw a Sparrowhawk with out a tail. It seemed to be coping ok as I watched the bird doing its undulating display.

Gareth

Here in Tasmania, I often see Blackbirds and House Sparrows ( both are introduced species here ) with no tail and I put it largely down to them having close encounters with the local feral cat population which seems to be out of control at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back