• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone here using a Nikon 7x35 Action EX? (1 Viewer)

sarge1967

My wife and I have recently taken to birding.
We currently own a Nikon 7x35 Action and a Vanguard Spirit 8x36.
Of the two the Nikon is far superior. Of course my wife swiped those 8-P
I have been thinking of getting a Nikon 7x35 Action EX. It would seem it has better eye relief at 17mm. (I wear glasses) and it is waterproof.

Should I expect the same optical quality as the Action we already have? Or is there a better option in your opinion?

Thanks!

I've got the 7x35 Action Extreme and I think it's a terrific binocular for the price. I haven't tried any of the older Actions, so I can't give you a head-to-head comparison, but I would expect that the Extreme's view is at least as good as any of the Actions. Plus, like you mentioned, it has more eye relief and is waterproof. One thing you might notice as you shop... the Action (non-Extreme) series has been discontinued and replaced by the Aculon series. People seem generally pleased with the Aculons, so maybe that would be something else for you to consider.

I've got the 7x35 Action Extreme and I think it's a terrific binocular for the price. I haven't tried any of the older Actions, so I can't give you a head-to-head comparison, but I would expect that the Extreme's view is at least as good as any of the Actions. Plus, like you mentioned, it has more eye relief and is waterproof. One thing you might notice as you shop... the Action (non-Extreme) series has been discontinued and replaced by the Aculon series. People seem generally pleased with the Aculons, so maybe that would be something else for you to consider.

I have looked at the Aculons and decided against them because of eye relief and not being waterproof.
I am looking at the Monarch 5 8x42 and the Monarch 7 8x30 as well. Just not sure I want to spend that much money.

I like the Action Ex. It is very sharp in the centre but the sharpness does deteriorate quite quickly. They aren't as bright as I would have liked and they are heavy. However, the build quality is good and they are waterproof.

An off the wall bargain I stumbled across recently was the Helios Naturesport Plus 8x40. I got it for £49 and for that price it is breathtaking. It is light, good eye relief, excellent FOV, large sweet spot (70%), quite a flat view, bright and good contrast. However, they aren't waterproof. For the money, they are a gem.

I like the Action Ex. It is very sharp in the centre but the sharpness does deteriorate quite quickly. They aren't as bright as I would have liked and they are heavy. However, the build quality is good and they are waterproof.

An off the wall bargain I stumbled across recently was the Helios Naturesport Plus 8x40. I got it for £49 and for that price it is breathtaking. It is light, good eye relief, excellent FOV, large sweet spot (70%), quite a flat view, bright and good contrast. However, they aren't waterproof. For the money, they are a gem.

I will look into the Helios, thanks!

Well it appears the Helios are not offered on this side of the pond. :-C

Looked at the Raptors and did not like them. The Yosemities were not that bright in my opinion.

Cool, go with the Action EX. I liked the 6X Yosemites more than all the Nikons I tried below the $200 mark, but thats why there are different flavors.

I have looked at the Aculons and decided against them because of eye relief and not being waterproof.
I am looking at the Monarch 5 8x42 and the Monarch 7 8x30 as well. Just not sure I want to spend that much money.

Hi Sarge. I can appreciate wanting to keep the price down. Porros are great for getting the most bang for your buck. If you want to consider a good roof without getting into Monarch territory, you might consider the Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky, which is very popular on these forums...

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-blue-sky-8x32-binoculars-rubber-armored.html

Sarge,

I've tried the 7x35 Action EX and can concur with what has been said about them - sharp in the center, fall off at the edges is fairly steep, but the edges can be refocused since it's field curvature not astigmatism causing the blurriness. Time was when you could buy a Nikon 7x35 Action with sharp edges, ala my Nikon 7x35 WF, but those were made in Japan, and the coatings on modern Nikons are much better.

I have a Nikon 7x35 Aculon and prefer it to the Action EX even though it's cheaper. It's not WP, but I didn't see that in your "must" list. It's lighter, just as sharp in the center, if not sharper (it has aspheric lenses in the objectives), and it's not as bulky as the EX. Probably not as robust but unless you are an extreme birder, they should work for you, and they can be had for around $75.

If you want a bin that is lightweight and WP, then go for the 8x32 Sightron II. I haven't tried it, but Frank's thread on the bin has over 900 posts, most of which are positive. Seems to be the "best bang for the buck" in roof prism bins, and it has an open bridge, which should make it easier to hold than a midsized closed bridge roof. If Frank's chubby hands fit, yours should, too.

Keep in mind, you will not get the 3-D view with the roofs that you do with the Porros, so Miss Buxley's figure won't have the same "pop." ;)

Say "Hello!" to Otto for me.

Private Beetle Bailey

Sarge,

I've tried the 7x35 Action EX and can concur with what has been said about them - sharp in the center, fall off at the edges is fairly steep, but the edges can be refocused since it's field curvature not astigmatism causing the blurriness. Time was when you could buy a Nikon 7x35 Action with sharp edges, ala my Nikon 7x35 WF, but those were made in Japan, and the coatings on modern Nikons are much better.

I have a Nikon 7x35 Aculon and prefer it to the Action EX even though it's cheaper. It's not WP, but I didn't see that in your "must" list. It's lighter, just as sharp in the center, if not sharper (it has aspheric lenses in the objectives), and it's not as bulky as the EX. Probably not as robust but unless you are an extreme birder, they should work for you, and they can be had for around $75.

If you want a bin that is lightweight and WP, then go for the 8x32 Sightron II. I haven't tried it, but Frank's thread on the bin has over 900 posts, most of which are positive. Seems to be the "best bang for the buck" in roof prism bins, and it has an open bridge, which should make it easier to hold than a midsized closed bridge roof. If Frank's chubby hands fit, yours should, too.

Keep in mind, you will not get the 3-D view with the roofs that you do with the Porros, so Miss Buxley's figure won't have the same "pop." ;)

Say "Hello!" to Otto for me.

Private Beetle Bailey

Thanks for the input. I will look into the Sightron.

Well I pulled the trigger on a pair of Nikon Monarch 5 8x42s today. I looked at the 7x35 EX and the eye releif was not quite enough with my glasses on. The extra 2mm on the Monarchs made the difference. They are extremely bright and I love the ergonomics of them. The objective lens covers are awesome! I know that the FOV is not the best but I am willing to live with it.
Can't wait to get them out tomorrow! The family and I are going to a local wildlife habitat to do some birding!
Thanks everyone for your input!

I read every thread Brock....not just in the binocular forum but also the spotting scope forum, the digiscoping forum and the Pennsylvania forum. Something about my obsessive-compulsive side and those bright orange "new post" icons. ;)

I read every thread Brock....not just in the binocular forum but also the spotting scope forum, the digiscoping forum and the Pennsylvania forum. Something about my obsessive-compulsive side and those bright orange "new post" icons. ;)

You're the Kenny J. of BF. He claims to have read every post ever written on the CN bin forum.

I could do the same thing since I have so many regulars on my Ignore List now, it doesn't take much time to devour some threads in their entirety. :eat:

I was reading your review of the Leupold McKinley a couple days ago. Just in case I don't win a ZR Prime HD, I thought I'd check out its brother from another mother. I found the review on a search engine, and I didn't check out who posted the review because it was on binocularreviews.com, not a forum, but when I started reading and found the usual intro... "A brown van stopped in front of my house yesterday...." I knew it was you. ;)

No, you actually didn't begin with the Brown Giant this time, you went with your alternative Socratic opener: "As I always do though I want to start off with optical performance. Why not?"

When I wrote a post on the "Swaro Discount" thread recently, I asked myself questions and then answered them, and then wrote at the end, "I'm glad you keep asking questions," that was an homage to your reviews. You'll notice I snuck in a plug for the Sightron II.

Does anybody really "need" top quality optics?

I didn't realize BF had a Pennsylvania forum, I will have to check it out, thanks for mentioning it.

Brock

Last edited:
I could do the same thing since I have so many regulars on my Ignore List now, it doesn't take much time to devour some threads in their entirety.

Brock, hope I'm not one! : )

Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back