• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firefox...which plug in's/add ons do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I have never really known what a plug-in or add-on is.
In the past I have added things like Java & AVG Free as I understood it was necessary.
However......Firefox has a tab for plug ins and another for add-ons........both have lengthy lists-most of them I've never heard of and have no idea what they do (or prevent).
Can anyone recommend any and tell me why/what they do etc.
Thanks

Hi David

I use PaleMoon, which is related to Firefox, so these should be available to you as Add Ons, if you want them.

Autopager: If you are in a long thread, it will automatically load the pages, so you can scroll down them, instead of clicking on Next Page.

Colourful Tabs: I have a lot of tabs open (mostly different areas of Birdforum that I want quick access to) but also other forums, maps, weather, bank etc... you can give each group a different colour, which makes it easy to pick them out on the screen.

ReminderFox: this is a pop up calendar where you can put all your up coming appointments, birthdays, reminders etc. You set how long in advance you want to be reminded of, say, your anniversary.

Plug Ins:

Adobe Acrobat: I think this allows you to download and read documents
QuickTime
ShockWave Flash
Silverlight
Windows Live Photogallery: I think this lets me look at my pictures
Yahoo Application State Plug In

I don't really understand what all these last ones do, but I was advised I needed them;)

Add - ons:
Adblock plus 2.4 (inhibits advertising)
Forecastfox 2.2.2 (weather)
ImTranslator 7.3
ProxTube 1.5.2 (opens videos on YouTube which are normaly blocked [due to my location])

Last edited:
Extensions: NoScript - allows me to control which sites are allowed to run Javascript on my machine, pop up windows, etc (most sites have their ads from a different server which also means I don't get most of the annoying ad stuff).

Plug-ins:

Shockwave Flash (lots of websites use that, but NoScript allows me to control which ones I enable that way)

Quicktime (for some video content)

I have a couple of other things (such as EXIF viewer) which are less likely to be of wide interest.

Andrea

I likeQuickJava

"... Easily turn on or off Java, Javascript, Cookies, Animated Images, Flash, Silverlight, Stylesheets, Proxy and Automatic loading of images from the Statusbar and/or the Toolbar without having to open the Options or Plugins dialog!"

[FF now blocks Java , so if it's your only browser then you may as well uninstall Java and remove the security risk].

[FF now blocks Java , so if it's your only browser then you may as well uninstall Java and remove the security risk].

That's a bit imprecise. From the Mozilla website for Firefox: `In order to protect you, Firefox has stopped some versions of the Java plugin from running automatically because of security issues. However, you can still use Java on trusted sites if necessary. '

And indeed, on that page then follow instructions for allowing Java to run as a one-off, or allowing a particular webpage to always run Java.

Andrea

That's a bit imprecise...

Fair enough! I was generalising, and as you point out it's still available via CTP etc.

Having uninstalled Java 18 months ago I've not had one occassion to need it. Keeping it updated and only using via known sites provides some protection, although 7u45 still has vulnerabilities, and no patches are planned until January next year apparently.

Back on topic; Ghostery has it's uses, whilst Turn off the Lights dims the background when viewing embedded YouTube videos.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back