• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tract Toric 8x42 Experience (1 Viewer)

Just placed an order of 8x42 Toric before the $100 discount expire tonight. I already have a 8x42 Leica Trinovid (2012-2015) which has a similar FOV of 7.2 degree as the 8x42 Toric.

Appreciate the opportunity to earn your business! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it when it arrives!!

Trevor
Tract Optics

Outdoor Life 2016 Binocular Test - October Edition - see Tract.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160928-183152.jpg
    Screenshot_20160928-183152.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
To my CA sensitive eyes, the order of ranking for CA control in the 10X Alphas I've actually spent time looking through would be.

1-10X42 FL
2-10X42 HT
3-10X42 SF
4-10X42 and 10X50 SV
5-10X42 SE

Robert

True that SD. Getting the 10x right seems like a tough act even for the European and the Japanese Alpha bins. The 10x Alpha clones will take some time to catch up even though they are very close in the 8x magnification. Can you comment on how good the CA control is on the HT compared to FL and SV? In 10x42 bins Allbinos ranks FL very high for CA control at 9.5/10. The HT scored lower at 7.6/10. SF was better at 8.7/10. SV's ranking is quite low at 6.9. CA is the only issue that bothers me in the UVHD 10x42. The SV 8x32 also shows some CA away from center, but because of the wide FOV I have to try hard to see it. I thought that the SLC 10x42 HD might be better than UVHD in this regard and I was disappointed to see CA quite visible in my friend's SLC 8x42 HD from 2013. The SLC 8x42 HD wasn't better than the SV 8x32 in many other optical qualities and I wasn't sure if SLC will fare better than UVHD in 10x42 format. So it looks like FL or SF would be the 10x bins to aim for if you are particular about CA. Like someone wrote in BF once you notice CA you'll never not notice it.

Hi Jerry

I like them all, but as you know the different brands have various tradeoffs. After my whirlwind testing-looking spree, I'm still thinking about which tradeoffs I will get along with the best over the long haul. I'm wondering what Swarovski has up their sleeve beyond the Field Pro, maybe nothing. The SV view with FL CA control would be all I would ever want, it may never happen, but I can always wish.|:d|

Robert

I understand that you don't care for CA. I agree too much can be
distracting.

You seem to have tried many top optics, have you found anything yet
you are pleased with ?

Jerry

Dennis, post 193,
The review you show in your post does not give us information other than the taste of the reviewers and nothing about their test data.

Trevor Tract optics, post 180 and 181,
I am amazed that you get the opportunity to advertise your products on this open discussion forum, but the decision about that is up to the administrators of Birdforum.

I find your arguments for not posting the transmission data of the Torics binoculars very weak since you compare them with the SLC, so you must have received the measured spectra from Kamakura.
Can you also please explain why the Torics are so much better than the Kite Petrels also made by Kamakura and they are also in the same price range?
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel

Can you also please explain why the Torics are so much better than the Kite Petrels also made by Kamakura and they are also in the same price range?
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel

The Petrel doesn't have ED glass that I would think mean a lot.

I have tried the Petrel some time ago and they had both much CA and looking at leaves they had a glow around them which disturbed the image, you don't have that issue with the Tract.

I wondered why the name of these bins conjured disturbing images and memories of a musty school science lab in the seventies....'Thoracic Tract'.
Where did they get the name 'Tract Toric'?

Dennis, post 193,
The review you show in your post does not give us information other than the taste of the reviewers and nothing about their test data.

Trevor Tract optics, post 180 and 181,
I am amazed that you get the opportunity to advertise your products on this open discussion forum, but the decision about that is up to the administrators of Birdforum.

I find your arguments for not posting the transmission data of the Torics binoculars very weak since you compare them with the SLC, so you must have received the measured spectra from Kamakura.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs I found this online. And this from the past.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/1005005073

How We Test

Because ours is an evaluation of sporting optics, we test them the way you use them, by measuring low-light clarity, by mounting them on rifles and tripods, and by carrying them around our necks. But we take our test a step further, measuring each product’s optical clarity using an Air Force resolution target. And then we live with these products, taking them into the field and testing their utility. Half of our score is derived from measured performance (low-light and resolution tests, and for riflescopes, the precision and repeatability of windage and elevation controls, and reticle visibility). And half is our panel’s subjective evaluation. The highest-scoring optics win our Editor’s Choice award; the products that represent the best value win our Great Buy award.

Gijs I found this online. And this from the past.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/1005005073

How We Test

Because ours is an evaluation of sporting optics, we test them the way you use them, by measuring low-light clarity, by mounting them on rifles and tripods, and by carrying them around our necks. But we take our test a step further, measuring each product’s optical clarity using an Air Force resolution target. And then we live with these products, taking them into the field and testing their utility. Half of our score is derived from measured performance (low-light and resolution tests, and for riflescopes, the precision and repeatability of windage and elevation controls, and reticle visibility). And half is our panel’s subjective evaluation. The highest-scoring optics win our Editor’s Choice award; the products that represent the best value win our Great Buy award.

Basis for OutdoorLife's Great Buy award explained here.

OutdoorLife's 2015 Great Buy award went to the Bushnell Legend M Series.

"... the M-Series Legend represents one hell of a buy.

... The Bushnell scored near the top in most of our categories, but it really stood out in two: Value (the basis for our Great Buy award), and Image Quality, which is the subjective measure of how well an optic sees.

... Put another way, it’s an opinion about how sharp a distant barn looks, how black a cow appears, how many points you can count on a buck’s rack at 400 yards, or whether you get distracting jags of light through the binocular when you glass toward the sun.

... That the Legend scored well on both of these subjective measures—and also turned in very good ratings in our empirical categories—should tell you that it’s a top optic at a great price.

... And that combination makes it worthy of our Great Buy award.

Drilling into its attributes, the team loved its ergonomics, its oversize focus wheel, the handiness of its open-bridge design, and its coatings, which seemed to coax additional light and color out of any image. We did note some marring of internal surfaces—a sign of sub-par construction—and some testers reported that the focus knob tended to stray.

But the redesigned Legend certainly deserves its place in Bushnell’s hierarchy, and in the pantheon of value-packed hunting optics."

And OutdoorLife's 2014 Great Buy award went to the Monarch 7 8x30 so they are pretty consistent!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back