• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (1 Viewer)

Took some footage of a Fieldfare in the garden. There was a problem uploading to Photobucket in a couple of different formats which resulted in a regular "blurring" every couple of seconds.
However, bipassing movie maker, and uploading straight to youtube seems to have removed the blurring, at least on my monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC8kwGGaVrY

taken at 1080 24fps,
uploaded as MP4, 720x480, 12000 bitrate.
(Slower bitrates were resulting in blurred head movement)

My sparrows on the Sundial was loaded up unedited to youtube and file straight out of the camera/computer .mov Looking forward to summer to get some dragonflies/insects on vid, then maybe will invest in some vid editing software

My sparrows on the Sundial was loaded up unedited to youtube and file straight out of the camera/computer .mov Looking forward to summer to get some dragonflies/insects on vid, then maybe will invest in some vid editing software

Initially, I was having trouble viewing the original files on my PC, so I went through allsorts of processing via the "Any video converter" software.
Sounds like I should try simplifying my approach now!

Enjoyed your Sparrow vid. You have quite a healthy colony by the look of it.

Scouse mouse . what shutter speed did you use? I would think that would be the cause of the blurring rather than encoding.
Also if you want it to be HD you need the res to be at least 1280x720.

On the video sites they recommend h264 mp4 5-8mbps encoding. This results in about a 20% file size from the original with a decent enough quality.

weiss that will be some great video when you get some sturdy stuff, love the calls. I was going to offer to run it through my stabiliser program but unfortunately it looks just a bit too shaky for it to fix.

Scouse mouse . what shutter speed did you use? I would think that would be the cause of the blurring rather than encoding.
Also if you want it to be HD you need the res to be at least 1280x720.

On the video sites they recommend h264 mp4 5-8mbps encoding. This results in about a 20% file size from the original with a decent enough quality.

weiss that will be some great video when you get some sturdy stuff, love the calls. I was going to offer to run it through my stabiliser program but unfortunately it looks just a bit too shaky for it to fix.

Hello,
having trouble working out the shutter speed, but it was filmed at 1920x1080@24fps.
The encoding is having an effect on the end result for me with quite a marked difference between blurry, slow motion like movement, to reasonable detail even during fast movement.

I found the settings you recommend above to be really good,
(but I have upped the bitrate to 12000 which seemed to improve the movement on my clip when uploaded to t'internet.)

Would be good if all the data being collected on this thread can be consolidated into to some good basic settings and tips to help birders hit the ground running with this technology.

Peter

Last edited:

the sound is fantastic and as good as any iv heared.
Rob

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to have to go back again. I don't think I can set a tripod up on the forest floor, it's pretty uneven, so I might just need to practise steadier handholding.

Hello,
having trouble working out the shutter speed, but it was filmed at 1920x1080@24fps.
The encoding is having an effect on the end result for me with quite a marked difference between blurry, slow motion like movement, to reasonable detail even during fast movement.

I found the settings you recommend above to be really good,
(but I have upped the bitrate to 12000 which seemed to improve the movement on my clip when uploaded to t'internet.)

Would be good if all the data being collected on this thread can be consolidated into to some good basic settings and tips to help birders hit the ground running with this technology.

Peter

When you look at the video you shot in zoombrowser ex go to the preview pane and it has the exif on the right hand side that will tell you your shutter speed.
But as you dont know what your shutter speed was im guessing you havent manually set it.
When you video in 1080p24 use manual mode and set your shutter to 1/50th
Make your iso100 then only adjust your aperture to get the correct exposure.
(unless the light is terrible then use the iso to get the correct exposure, but never move off 1/50th)

Well im going in a diffrent direction for vid on a moving bird iv just ordered a cheap HD camcorder main reason is for the AF.
I will still be using my ex mic so can still report on that .
I just checked my 7d manual focus on a redshank i took the other day and its hopeless, Stills will still be my main thing and for vid on a static bird the 7d will be my camera of choice.
The way i look at it is that if im out i dont want to miss anything so by getting a vid camera i can do both at the same time if my plan of fixing the vid cam to the 500f4 works .
i hope to set it up so both cameras are seeing the same thing at close to the same image size .
Then i can set the video working by remote wile looking through and taking shots with the 500 f4 .
iv ordered the canon Legria hs200 by the way.
Rob.

Yeah I thought that but then realised you can shoot through liveview if an unexpected still shot chance appears.

When you look at the video you shot in zoombrowser ex go to the preview pane and it has the exif on the right hand side that will tell you your shutter speed.
But as you dont know what your shutter speed was im guessing you havent manually set it.
When you video in 1080p24 use manual mode and set your shutter to 1/50th
Make your iso100 then only adjust your aperture to get the correct exposure.
(unless the light is terrible then use the iso to get the correct exposure, but never move off 1/50th)

Thanks I will give that a try.

Incidentally, I viewed my previous uploads on a newer monitor and was startled to see how poor the quality was compared with my "originals". I believe the editting and converting techniques I was using were have having an adverse affect on the quality.
So a note of caution if you use Moviemaker or AVC.

I am now restricting my editing to cutting on zoombrowser, then uploading the .mov files to Vimeo.
Vimeo seems to be producing better results than youtube and photobucket.

This may fall into the "No S**t Sherlock" category! but may be of use to someone along the line.

I dont think there is a no s*** sherlock category with dslr video. Its so new everyones learning new things as they go.
IMO any info people find works (or doesnt work for that matter) and post up is good info!

Cheers Rob.

How you positioning it 6ft away?

i made a mount ( just a bit of flat metal ) and put it in an old tripod leg so i can extend it ,i put a spike on it to stick it in the mud .something like the letter L but upside down with the Mic on the small bit .
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back