• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in India #2 (1 Viewer)

vernon

Following on from the last thread of Warblers, here is a falcon and pipit from our Feb 2020 India trip. Also a distant video view in Ranthambore. The video is shaky and poor but I just wonder if anyone has any ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLc-QafrdY

1. 2 Falcons hunting (?larks) on the ground in arid fields near Bharatpur. Our guide described them as ‘Red-headed Merlins’ which I now realise is another name for Red-necked Falcon. I had tried to turn them into merlins but the bird in the photo appears bulkier. The plumage has puzzled me though – based on the Helm Raptor guide though young Red-necked Falcon looks possible (and according to ebird the most likely identity anyway)

Attachments

• falcon-1.jpg
    falcon-1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • falcon-2.jpg
    falcon-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • falcon-3.jpg
    falcon-3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • falcon-4.jpg
    falcon-4.jpg
    928.5 KB · Views: 19
  • falcon-5.jpg
    falcon-5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
2. A Pipit – also in the arid fields near Bharatpur, Feb 2020 whilst we were searching for Coursers. I believe this is a Tawny Pipit.

Attachments

• pipit.jpg
    pipit.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
I'm not sure I can help with the falcon but I agree the Pipit looks like Tawny.

I'm going to leave the Eagles to Thibaut or Tom.

It did occur to me that the bird on the ground and the one in flight might not be the same species. I agree the bird in flight looks like a Kestrel but does the bird on the ground in picture 1? isn't it a bit bulky? I have added 2 other poor shots of the bird on the ground, unfortunately looking away to show what I mean

Attachments

• new falcon 1.jpg
    new falcon 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • new falcon 2.jpg
    new falcon 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
The bird in flight looks like the same bird to me. At least it's taking off from exactly where the one on the ground was sitting...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back