• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best vintage bino for night time wildlife viewing (1 Viewer)

. One Vixen Foresta 7×50 is much cheaper than 10 random vintage 7×50s. The random vintage binoculars will probably require work also, whereas the new 7 x 50 is guaranteed.

That is if once thinks logically and not emotionally.

Thinking logically is not really something one sees so much of here.

Good point and I have no argument at all...I don't have much self control, when I see something I have to have.

Might be a vixen in my future too... Just depends on on the performance of some of these others.

BTW. I was refunded for the used Oly EXPS, and bought a new one for only $18.00 more to the door...this one the I version.

Hello everyone. Sorry I have been out of town and haven't updated this thread.
As promised I will compare some models that I have bought. So far here is what I got....

Jason Commander #143 7x35...This one is hopefully going back, described incorrectly, and broken.
Fujinon Meibo...This one will be hard to beat.
Sears #6266 7x35 EWA.... 7x50's in this style are hard to find relatively cheap.
Steiner Bayreuth 8x30
Olympus EXPS I 8x42
Swift Seawolf 753A 7x50
Sears #6215 8x40
Swift Nighthawk 7x50
Jason Clipper 7x35
Sears 6212 7x35 EWA
Sans Strieffe #801 Gamester 8x30
Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 7x50
Jason Commander 136 7x50
Jason Clipper #120 8x40
Swift Grand Prix #716 8x30
and for comparison a Bushnell 8x42 H20 set that I have been using for a few years.

Still on the lookout for Jason Statesman 7x50 EWA and Swift Skipper in 7x50 reasonably priced. But I'm going to start eliminating some of these bins

More to come......

waterman74:
If you are looking to eliminate some, perhaps your first decision should be about
the 'view type'. You have some great examples of the full 'extra-wide', the 'clear semi-wide',
and the 'precision flat narrow'.

From the point of view of the Original Post here (looking for critters at night),

If it's really clean inside, the
Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 7x50 looks great for 'precision flat narrow' use, and it has high-contrast hunting coatings
for its time.

The Bushnell 8x42 H20 looks like a great 'clear semi-wide', for this purpose.

If the Jenoptem has excellent contrast (once again, due to clean innards), dont' worry about
getting the Swift Skipper 7x50. It's excellent, but the two are extremely similar in generation and
color, and the Jenoptem likely wins out on precision. Plus, very-long-term speaking, I have never
figured out how to disassemble and maintain the Swift machined eyecups.

"view type'. You have some great examples of the full 'extra-wide', the 'clear semi-wide',
and the 'precision flat narrow'. ""

I'm not sure exactly what this means, but my plan was too start by magnification groupings and compare first there, then compare the best example of each magnification to find a couple winners.

So it looks like the little Steiner 8x30 have some fungus growth inside. Does anyone know know how to take these apart to clean them up?

The Jenoptem looks brand new, got a steal on that one, and it is multicoated so it is a newer model.. I believe from the serial number it is a late 80's. It maybe slightly out of collumination though. It takes a second for me to focus with it at first, for some reason.... IT could be just me, I only tried them for a second or too.

I'm pretty sure the Swift Seawolf and Skipper would be pretty close, so I may just eliminate that one as you suggest.

There is the 11-degree 7x35 (and similar apparent field for other powers).
...very wide filed, but only very sharp for 40-60% of that.
(77 derees apparent)

Then "clear semi-wide", usually about 55 degrees to 70 degrees apparent.
Sharp to as much as 80% of the field sometimes. Big view, but not slushy.

"Precision flat narrow": no rolling ball or pincushion when you scan,
sharp edge-to-edge, often 50 degrees apparent to 55 deg. apparent.
It seems the best of these have astigmatism at 99% of field, but that's
just the diffraction of the field edge. Relaxing to look through.
Easy to scan fast. But...limited field, of course.

Last edited:
The 8x30's...

Swift Grand Prix: J-B32/J-E22, Bak4, Very clean inside except slight haze or smudge on right side prism, didn't SEEM to effect performance. Sharp out to approx 65%. Lowlight performance was not too bad.

Sans & Streiffe 801 Gamester: J-B62/J-E15, Bak4, Very clean inside except slight haze or smudge on right side prism, didn't SEEM to effect performance. Sharp out to approx 70%. Lowlight performance was just a hair below the Swift's.

Steiner Vergutet: Bak4, Hazy on both prisms, fungus growth it appears. Sharp to 55-60%. Lowlight performance was worse than the other 2.

Comments: For the sharpness test, I used the craters on the moon. The Swift and S.S. were very close during the day and night tests. The S.S. had a slightly bigger sweet spot. I almost want to say that the S.S. was just a little sharper than the Swift, but the Swift was just a bit brighter at night. Both bins had the same body, but the Swift was much heavier and just felt better in the hand. For that reason I'll rate the Swift just a bit higher. The Steiners were a noticeable step down. I'm guessing this was the fungus amungus, so it may not have been fair to this particular Steiner. I will say that they are very ergonomic, and felt great in the hand, but that is about all they had going for them. If I can figure out how to clean them without breaking them, then I'll compare them again to the Swift's and see what happens.
** Just for grins I compared the Swifts to my modern Bushnell H2O in 8x42 and in lowlight they were close, not quit the light gathering ability of the Bushnell. Put a bigger objective on the Swifts? Who knows? Not bad for a bin made in 1967.

Thanks for reading.

Hello everyone. Sorry I have been out of town and haven't updated this thread.
As promised I will compare some models that I have bought. So far here is what I got....

Jason Commander #143 7x35...This one is hopefully going back, described incorrectly, and broken.
Fujinon Meibo...This one will be hard to beat.
Sears #6266 7x35 EWA.... 7x50's in this style are hard to find relatively cheap.
Steiner Bayreuth 8x30
Olympus EXPS I 8x42
Swift Seawolf 753A 7x50
Sears #6215 8x40
Swift Nighthawk 7x50
Jason Clipper 7x35
Sears 6212 7x35 EWA
Sans Strieffe #801 Gamester 8x30
Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 7x50
Jason Commander 136 7x50
Jason Clipper #120 8x40
Swift Grand Prix #716 8x30
and for comparison a Bushnell 8x42 H20 set that I have been using for a few years.

Still on the lookout for Jason Statesman 7x50 EWA and Swift Skipper in 7x50 reasonably priced. But I'm going to start eliminating some of these bins

More to come......

Hello Waterman,
You are looking for that ?

DSC07105.JPG

DSC07108.JPG

DSC07092.JPG

DSC07110.JPG

Incredible condition.
I have seen the Jason Statesman in considerably worse shape.
When the environment is corrosive, magnesium frames can really get messy.

Those look like they were always high, dry, and cozy.
I'd wager a lack of patina is always a good thing in antique binoculars.

Yes mnich... those are ones... found some for a good price but they were in rough shape... found 2 recently on the bay and they both went for around $90, I just couldn't do it. I really love they the way they look. Wonder how the y would compare to a Swift Nighthawk

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back