• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help, 8x32 or 8.5x42 (1 Viewer)

Ditchbank

I come here for help from guys who know glass. I'm an archer and I will be using my binoculars for hunting. I recently looked at some Swarovski Optics. I really like the light weight and feel of the 8x32 el but will the 8.5x42 El be A LOT brighter at dusk and dawn? Or should I say, will I notice a $1000.00 difference. Is rather have the 8x32 for weight and feel but if the 42 is noticeably brighter. I want those...any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Are you looking at the older wb El's or Swarovision? If its the latter then no question for your use the 8x32.
They are lighter more compact and are as bright or brighter than any other mid size glass. Top that off with neutral colors extremely good contrast and razor sharp images.
Bryce...

For archery (and I´m a target archer), you don´t need to spend that kind of cash. If you must, I´d recommend the SV 8x32. But a pair of ZR 7x36 would serve you just as well, for a fraction of the cost. My problem with the SV 8x32 was flare in low-light backlit birding. I also owned the SV 8.5x42, which are heavier, but had no such issues.

Have you maybe thought about an SLC 8x42 or 10x42? While the Swarovision is completely awesome, one of the trade-offs for that awesomeness is a slightly less percentage in light transmission. A lot of hunters go for the SLCs specifically because of the dawn/dusk difference. Plus the price point goes down there also.

The price difference between the two Els shouldn't be more than about $350.

I do use a gun in Novver during the RUT.. And hunt some big agricultural fields. I would use them then also. I just really like the feel of the 8x32 and the price difference was 1450 for 8x32 vs 2400.00 for 8.5x42

I just don't want to spend an extra 1000.00 on something I can't tell a difference about in a store.

Last edited:
Are you looking at an El 8x32 (out of production for a few years) or a current EL Swarovsion 8x32 because the current model runs about $2199.

Actually lighter, they now have magnesium bodies as compared to the heavier aluminum bodies they had until last fall.
SLC 10x42 - 28 oz
EL SV 10x42 - 29.6 oz

Last edited:
You can find used 8.5x42 EL's (out of production) from 1250 to 1500 dollars. That would be the route I would take if you like the EL's. Good luck

I don't believe you'll see a substantial difference in low light performance. The biggest difference you'll see between the two models will be size. The 8x32 much more compact... I found the 8x32 too small for my liking, so went back to 8x42 SLC and haven't second guessed the decision. The 32's had a great view, but for me, the 42's were more comfortable to use.

Will you be stalking, in a ground blind, or in a tree stand?

I hunted for years with the x32 el and never once considered a x42 necessary, and much appreciated the smaller size as it was with me, around my neck, all day long.

Quality glass is nice to have when you're glassing for hours.

I moved up to the x32 from compacts/pockets for the improved optics and comfortable use.

I still use 8x32 but of a different brand, as well as a 7x36 which is actually smaller in physical size than the 8x32.

CG

Last edited:
I come here for help from guys who know glass. I'm an archer and I will be using my binoculars for hunting. I recently looked at some Swarovski Optics. I really like the light weight and feel of the 8x32 el but will the 8.5x42 El be A LOT brighter at dusk and dawn? Or should I say, will I notice a $1000.00 difference. Is rather have the 8x32 for weight and feel but if the 42 is noticeably brighter. I want those...any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have had them both and I would go for the 8x32 SV. Smaller and lighter and 99% of the time you won't notice the difference in brightness. No RB in the 8x32 either and I saw it in the 8.5x42. Bigger FOV in the 32mm also.

I have some older non-swaro el's in 8.5 x 42 and I love them. All I do is hunt with a bow and they can be used one handed very well due to their design. I have looked at the 8x32 before but they really not that much smaller. I also use some hawke frontier Ed in 8x43 they are very nice and a lot cheaper. I picked up some opticron countryman hd 8x32 off here and got them the other day after reading some reviews. Now that is a very small 8x32, I like it a lot but have not been able to play with it much. I would look for some used ones, if you want el's. if you got some older ones like mine you, could have 1 or 2 other pairs of less expensive binos for what a new set of el's would cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back