• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 8.5x42 vs. NL 8x32 - only pair (2 Viewers)

I had the EL 8.5x42 for a bit that I took on short walks. Decided they were a bit too big and tried the NL 8x32 and the Zeiss SF 8x32. I liked the view from the NL but decided to keep the SF as my only binocular. The biggest reason was the NLs fogged up on me easily in humid weather compared to the EL and SF. The Zeiss also had better balance in my hand and the focuser seemed better than the NL between it and the Zeiss SF samples.
This is helpful. How would you rank the three optically? The size of the el doesn’t bother much (yet).

This is helpful. How would you rank the three optically? The size of the el doesn’t bother much (yet).
The NL view was the most amazing view but I did also have more trouble with glare, I had almost forgotten about that part. The EL did have the brighter view for low light as it should, but for typical use the weight trade wasn’t worth it for me. The SF (I have tried 4 samples) has a great picture but the complete package (not just image quality) is what sold me. I really wanted to like the binocular with the superior image (NL definitely had more wow over the SF) but if it fogged up and glare was an issue for me I might be missing things I am trying to look at. I’ll be honest though, I’m still tempted to get an NL again (not as my primary though) just for that view. The EL was great (I had a late pre legacy model) but too big/heavy for my casual viewing. It took me about a year to feel the EL was too heavy for me.

For some links to information about Swarovski, from Swarovski:

A) 2016 Sustainability Report
See additional details and images at: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/swarovski-optik’s-2016-sustainability-report.373270/
A copy of the 136 page report can still be downloaded from the link in post #11
(An image of the material composition the NL x42 - that complements those of the EL x42 and EL Range from the Sustainability Report -
can be found at: Material Composition of NL x42 vs EL SV x42 )

B) Production Numbers and Revenue
See various posts at: Swarovski Binoculars - Volume of Production

C) Composition of the current RA Covering (thermoplastic polyurethane aka TPU)
What Swarovski has disclosed about the current RA covering is in post #6 at: Swarovski SLC 10X42 Rubber Casing Fault

John
Ah! Cool John thanks.

Im surely guilty, having read these back then when posted, and retained only snippets.... or that you even had done this! Seems I'm not alone though as BF conversations wander away from the info as well. Obviously many members have joined after, so don't know these exist. Wonder if there's anything to be done to keep these sort of facts current, top of mind?? Stickies maybe?

In the material composition article one quibble, EL eyecups are aluminum with a rubber rim at the top.

The discussion of TPU for the EL, NL and SLC covers in the "SLC Rubber Casing Fault" #6 seems to clear up the confusion above, and mitigates Swarovski's thinking.

What would we do without you?

Tom

The NL view was the most amazing view but I did also have more trouble with glare, I had almost forgotten about that part. The EL did have the brighter view for low light as it should, but for typical use the weight trade wasn’t worth it for me. The SF (I have tried 4 samples) has a great picture but the complete package (not just image quality) is what sold me. I really wanted to like the binocular with the superior image (NL definitely had more wow over the SF) but if it fogged up and glare was an issue for me I might be missing things I am trying to look at. I’ll be honest though, I’m still tempted to get an NL again (not as my primary though) just for that view. The EL was great (I had a late pre legacy model) but too big/heavy for my casual viewing. It took me about a year to feel the EL was too heavy for me.
Very helpful, thank you!
HenChamp,
As your process continues, hopefully its OK if I go back to my #8 to clarify this line: "If I could have just one? Prolly take the EL 1042. Your 8.5 to me is a trickier choice vis a vis the EL/NL debate." The point I was trying to make relates to birdcat and to what I already own - my starting point. My EL is a 10. I'm a 10 fan. It works for where I bird. Im used to it. If birding without the scope, something I actually prefer season and location depending, I want the 10s. With scope its NL 832. Im very glad I own both. As a recovering gearhead, its amazing how buying the NL has shut down my lusting... Your decision between EL8.542 and NL832 is different. Glad I don't have to make it. If I were at the starting gate, the NL 10/12 42s would be in the chase though to.

One cautionary point. You wrote, "Going on a trip and need to make a decision by tomorrow in order to receive the binoculars in time." I spent 3 months to bond with the NLs. It took being out and about to different venues, in different weather, light to learn glare management, eye placement and appreciate the benefit of the larger AFOV. Sorry... Ha!

Tom

Nailed it. A gear head. Into cars, watches, speakers, etc. I love spending money on hobbies and am grateful I can. I also want the best I can afford and it brings me joy to use a well designed product. The EL8.5 is great to me. Nearly perfect. The downside? The focus knob sucks. Everything else is awesome.

Have an NL pure on the way. Will try myself and see if it’s worth it vs EL. Only way to know.
If you like EL , most will like NL. Optics are extremely close with some modifications to FOV, edges, panning personality and improved silky smooth focuser. I’m with you , love spending money on my hobbies and blessed that I can, I’d ad single malt scotch to the hobby group. To me these things have always been a passion, some call it an addiction, maybe the difference is that it’s an addiction if you can’t afford it and/or it effects the people around you in a negative way.

Spent about 4 hours today with my Swarovski 8.5EL’s at Green Cay nature preserve in south Florida. I have absolutely no complaints with the focuser on this EL, very smooth in both directions , very intuitive and precise, a joy to use.

Paul

Attachments

• DC6C81ED-1315-4075-BB94-BA7791FB0FBD.jpeg
    DC6C81ED-1315-4075-BB94-BA7791FB0FBD.jpeg
    972.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 72696B3D-B874-4D47-8555-99904E2918DA.jpeg
    72696B3D-B874-4D47-8555-99904E2918DA.jpeg
    894.2 KB · Views: 20
  • BA90200D-1DFE-4038-A3E0-07A6CAE599B2.png
    BA90200D-1DFE-4038-A3E0-07A6CAE599B2.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 1D7A9399-0F37-4302-81FF-16747DC183AC.jpeg
    1D7A9399-0F37-4302-81FF-16747DC183AC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 292DBCA1-C552-4236-A9B2-7083D0A9B7FA.jpeg
    292DBCA1-C552-4236-A9B2-7083D0A9B7FA.jpeg
    742 KB · Views: 20
I like this idea, but worry I won't have that Swaro 'wow' factor. Which for me makes this hobby that much more enjoyable.
I hear that. SFL very nice glass, but not on the level of EL, NL, SF and Noctivids, just doesn’t have the snap, crackle and pop (wow factor) like the latter, in my experience. But the SFL brings something else to the table.

Paul

If you like EL , most will like NL. Optics are extremely close with some modifications to FOV, edges, panning personality and improved silky smooth focuser. I’m with you , love spending money on my hobbies and blessed that I can, I’d ad single malt scotch to the hobby group. To me these things have always been a passion, some call it an addiction, maybe the difference is that it’s an addiction if you can’t afford it and/or it effects the people around you in a negative way.

Spent about 4 hours today with my Swarovski 8.5EL’s at Green Cay nature preserve in south Florida. I have absolutely no complaints with the focuser on this EL, very smooth in both directions , very intuitive and precise, a joy to use.

Paul
Any No -See-Ums, grasshopper?

Attachments

• 8D134E9C-052B-4F24-B9C7-F7F9CB037FEC.jpeg
    8D134E9C-052B-4F24-B9C7-F7F9CB037FEC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • FBE2679D-66C6-4F25-9EBF-AAE71045017F.jpeg
    FBE2679D-66C6-4F25-9EBF-AAE71045017F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • DBC542D9-DC04-4D04-B1F4-94F482BF89A0.jpeg
    DBC542D9-DC04-4D04-B1F4-94F482BF89A0.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 60661B91-4724-4014-BFF0-C1A19BD0E626.jpeg
    60661B91-4724-4014-BFF0-C1A19BD0E626.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Lots ! And a whole bunch of other nasty biting critters. Some were landing on my EL’s 😲.
Good thing you had your EL's. By the looks of the size of some of those mosquitoes, they would have cracked the armour on the NL's. Those No -See-Ums in Florida are amazing. You can't see them, but you know they are there because they are biting the crap out of you.

I have EL 8.5x42 SV that I bought at the end of last year and I regret not getting the NL's. They are superior binoculars in every way. Amazing immersive view, 6 position eye cups, dioptor focus lever, and the outdoorsman stud can be user installed. I have had several pair of EL's and they are great binoculars and what you can get them for used is in excellent value and I'd buy them all day over anything new at that price point, but if you're talking new EL vs new NL buy the NL's, it's well worth the price difference. I have the 12x42's and it's really all I use.

As to the armor on the NL's and EL's, if you're buying a new pair of binos or anything made in like the last 5 years its the same exact stuff on both. I know some people have had the armor fail but it's not a common problem at all and probably likely its more due to bad batches of the rubber or being exposed to chemicals that has caused it. Regardless, it's an armor. It's designed to be a sacrificial skin to protect the body of the binoculars and its designed to be replaced too. So if you've gotta spend $200 to replace the armor after 10-20 years of bumps and bruises so what? Don't buy a watch that needs servicing if that's an issue, you don't want to know what it costs to to service and replace wear items on something like a Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Etc.

Last edited:
Good advise. I couldn’t afford the 8x42, so would go 8x32. Would you feel similarity on NL 8x32 vs el 8.5x42?

I would absolutely buy the NL 8x32 over the EL 8.5x42, everything else you get more than makes up for the smaller exit pupil which is the main advantage to the EL IMO, but 4mm exit pupil is plenty. If you're going to do a lot of low light viewing the 8.5x42 will be a little better in that regard too, but if that's something you want I would really encourage you to spend the extra money for the NL 8x42's. Plenty of people use 8x25/30's, and 10-32's and such all of which have smaller exit pupils.

I've been in the market for 8x32's for something smaller on occasion but mostly for the lady to use and really wanted the NL's but came across a deal I couldn't pass up on Ultravid HD+ 8x32's and went that route instead. The NL's would be nice but they aren't going to see enough use justify the cost difference since I always grab my NL 12's and she usually doesn't carry binos and will just get a look through mine. I'm hoping smaller binos that are easier for her to manage will encourage her to carry them and enjoy more views.

I have owned 32s but now I am a confirmed 42 guy. the size and weight if not an issue. I see no real benefit to going with 32s these days. I have NL 8x42 right now. Very very happy. I might add a pair of NL 12x42s. We shall see.

An update. Got the NL pure 8x32 and then had some trouble with my glasses (just slight trouble with eye strain / and very particular placement needed). My wife loved them though, and declared them hers, so I bought NL pure 8x42s used here. They’re fantastic. I also had the SFL 8x40 to try, optics were great, but it didn’t have the wow factor of the NL for me. I also didn’t love the objective covers. Swarovski as a package is just really, really nice. Of course, you pay for it.

The EL is great, and the NL optics are barely better, but they are, and the handling / feeling is easily worth the price difference to me. So I am finally happy and we’re going birding tomorrow morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back