• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BVD on Pentax (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

After a long period of inactivity I note that the excellent "Better View Desired" website has a new review on a new Pentax binocular - the DCF SPs. They sound a very good buy - "The deep forest green armor is very easy on the eyes and provides a positive grip. The compact, light weight (less than 25oz.) body fits nicely in the hands.... The DCF SPs are waterproof and nitrogen purged for weather resistance............ As attractive as they are physically, the real strength of the DCF SPs is their optics. These glasses are exceptionally sharp, perhaps due to their hybrid aspheric design.............The DCF SPs are not quite as bright as the Zeiss Victory IIs (arguably the brightest 40-42mm glasses currently available) but they are right up there with the Swarovski, Nikon, Bausch & Lomb, etc. top end offerings. They do suffer from an average amount of chromatic aberration: color fringes are easily visible well out into the field and on particularly challenging targets (a black crow against an overcast sky) they are visible in center field. Still, no worse than the current offerings from Swarovski, Zeiss, Nikon, etc. Add a close focus for the DCF SPs of 6.6 feet and you have impressive optical performance indeed, especially when you consider that the DCF SPs are often available for several hundred dollars less than top of the line glasses from other makers. The DCF SPs continue what is becoming a Pentax tradition: providing exceptional performance and great value".

The bad news is it doesn't actually seem to say how much they are and, worse still, for us Brits in my experience Pentax bins are rarely available here. John C

Hi John,

the DCF SP's are available through Amazon.co.uk
8x32 272.23
8x43 292.74
10x43 325.27

Not sure what the RRP is but I suspect alot more.For instance the Pentax website gives the RRP of the DCF WP 8x42 as £399.99 whereas amazon has them for £279.73. That said Amazon aren't competitive on Nikon

My local photographer stocks Pentax but they charge the full RRP.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back