• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's in a Name? (1 Viewer)

In the event of a future split of Larus canus the names Short-billed Mew Gull (L. brachyrhynchus ) and Long-billed Mew Gull (L. canus) would be sufficient to distinguish these forms while accurately describing them. Vagrant cnus to the eastern seaboard of N. Am tend to get called European Mew Gulls but as the species extends right across the palearctic 'European' is as inaccurate as Asiatic as a name. if the east Asiatic subspecies was raised to species status it would presumably retain ii's current colloquial name of Kamchatka Gull.

Common Gull is a hideously inappropriate name over most of the species vast range.

That said, so long as the scientific names are stable it doesn't really matter what birds are called locally-at least so long as everyone knows what is being referred to.

Anyone for 'Locally Abundant At Times Gull'
MV

Hi Darrell,

Up here, Commons outnumber ALL other gulls put together by 3:1 . . . so as a name, Common Gull is perfectly correct!

Of course Common Gulls are hardy birds, they don't need to go down to your soft southwestern climate ;)

Michael

Hi MV,

"Long-billed Mew Gull"

What a dreadful mouthful!

I'm going to stick with Common Gull. Perfectly appropriate, certainly far more so than the BOU's 'Common Nightingale' which is anything but common in English-speaking areas.

Michael

Hi Michael,
Black-headeds are almost super-abundant down here in winter,being commonly seen in city centres,on playing fields,farms,beaches,lakes etc.
Commons aren't RARE,just a lot rarer than BH Gull.Maybe LBB Gull is commoner than Common in winter,but with the demise of the local dump etc I very much doubt it now.Herring has declined greatly.
Re:"Of course Common Gulls are hardy birds, they don't need to go down to your soft southwestern climate "
this may apply for here too,but then we DO get counts of 20+ Med.Gulls regularly at Cobh in the winter,so I reckon that's a fair trade-off...;-)
Darrell,"The Irish are only Englishmen who can swim":
Nah,different stock altogether,although what with successive invasions by the Vikings,Normans and English in the past these differences will have been diluted,and of course we share(due to history)a common language.Thought you as a Cornishman would understand?;-)
Harry H

Has any British/Irish birder started to use the abominable bastardised term Great Northern Loon as set out in Collins?
Great Northern Diver in Europe and Common Loon in NA, fine. But why mix and match? And why is the Slavonian Grebe so called? To my knowledge there isn't anywhere in the world called Slavonia (he says preparing to be corrected).

E

Splendid. And I'm someone who reckons they're pretty good at geography!
Question: Do Slavonian Grebes breed in Slavonia any more than Iceland Gulls breed in Iceland?

E

Hi Edward-no I just can't seem to use the word 'loon' either.......but as an exile where most of the ex-pats are from North America/Australasia I now find myself using terms like "sidewalk" or "gas station" so it might just be a matter of time......

Common Gull is not so common here either-there are at least 4 commoner ones in Hakodate at any given time of year. Interestingly in Japanese it's called "kamome' which just means "gull"... ( Glacous Gull is "shiro-kamome which means "white gull" for example and all the others are " something-kamome" ).

Salvonia is in the eastern part of Croatia. Why it has given its name to a grebe I will leave for other s to answer.

Just the same as Bohemian Waxwings don't breed in Bohemia (Czech Republic), or Dartford Warblers at Dartford (Kent; though they did once), or Sandwich Terns at Sandwich (also Kent).

I also remember a comment in British Birds about someone asking where Pomarinia was (Pomarine Skua . . actually a shortening of 'Pomatorhine', which means 'plate-nosed' in Greek)

Michael

slight change of subject......

Who is the Ornithologist who has had most birds named after him ( common UK/American English names). Pallas? Teminck?

I'm sure someone will put me right, but I reckon 32 personages have either had at least 4 species named after them, or named them after themselves, viz

Cassin's - 9
Blyth's - 8
Rueppell's - 8
Finsch's - 7
Salvadori's - 7
Sharpe's - 7
Temminck's - 7
Gould's - 6
Shelley's - 6
Swainson's - 6
Swinhoe's - 6
Wallace's - 6
Bannerman's - 5
Fischer's - 5
Hume's - 5
Jerdon's - 5
Pallas's - 5
Sclater's - 5
Wilson's - 5
Baird's - 4
Bates's - 4
Bocage's - 4
Burchell's - 4
Chapin's - 4
Grauer's - 4
Hartlaub's - 4
Heuglin's - 4
Hodgson's - 4
Jackson's - 4
Tristram's - 4
Verreaux's - 4
Whitehead's - 4

C'mon, Birdman-- 'fess up: is there a list somewhere, or did you sit down and count those?... or did your computer do it? And while you're in code mode, why not tell us the nine Cassin'ses?

Hey, what about Steller?

Jay, Sea-Eagle.....I think there may be one or two more.....

Now if Michael could just discover a large German beer-drinking vessel-shaped bird, would we have a Frankis' Stein?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back