• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Undescribed (1 Viewer)

To my eye it looks quite similar to the Ferruginous-backed Antbird Myrmoderus ferrugineus.

It is very similar apart from the colour of the bare area around the eye (grey vs blue) and (apparently) song.

Interesting that this news has been out for a while (offline) but I think the first people to put this bird on to the internet were Manu Expeditions (recent trip report on Surfbirds). I guess all of the tour companies are keen to get new business for the 2017 season. I'll be there next year B :)

cheers, alan

It is very similar apart from the colour of the bare area around the eye (grey vs blue) and (apparently) song.

Interesting that this news has been out for a while (offline) but I think the first people to put this bird on to the internet were Manu Expeditions (recent trip report on Surfbirds). I guess all of the tour companies are keen to get new business for the 2017 season. I'll be there next year B :)

cheers, alan

Yeah, I wondered when the word would get out. A friend of mine discovered the bird on his first day of birding at Plataforma after hearing an antbird rattle call and checking it out. He also heard the song and had no idea what it might be other than an antbird sp. They tried to keep things quiet about it I guess so they could be the ones to publish the description. As I am sure you have heard, the site sounds fantastic for all sorts of things. I'm keen to get there too!

Mantaro endemics

I have recently seen two of the Mantaro watershed endemics in central Peru, 1) a wren that is either an undescribed species related to Plain-tailed Wren Pheugopedius europhrys or a undescribed race of Plain-tailed Wren and 2) a thornbird that is either an undescribed species related to Streak-fronted Thornbird Phacellodromas striaticeps or a undescribed race of Streak-fronted Thornbird.

Does anyone know if any further work is being carried out on these forms and if the consensus is that they are subspecies of the species mentioned above or wholly new species?

Ian Lewis

A number of potentially undescribed subspecies recently found in the Nanusa Archipelago (situated north-east of Karakelong), Talaud. This include a Pitta said to be different from mainland Talaud as well as possibly new subspecies of Island Whistler, Red-necked Crake and Lemon-bellied White-Eye.

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/u/16402

A short survey of the Meratus mountains, South Kalimantan province, Indonesia: two undescribed avian species discovered. Birdingasia 26 (2016): 107-133 James Eaton, Simon Mitchell, C. Navario Gonzalez Bocos, Frank Rheindt
'Meratus White-eye', 'Meratus Jungle Flycatcher' - a Cyornis, though

A short survey of the Meratus mountains, South Kalimantan province, Indonesia: two undescribed avian species discovered. Birdingasia 26 (2016): 107-133 James Eaton, Simon Mitchell, C. Navario Gonzalez Bocos, Frank Rheindt
'Meratus White-eye', 'Meratus Jungle Flycatcher' - a Cyornis, though

Available at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314246444_A_short_survey_of_the_Meratus_Mountains_South_Kalimantan_province_Indonesia_two_undescribed_avian_species_discovered (thanks to http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=6244)

A good if expensive and wet day when we saw that. There's a choice of walk c. 20 kms to Flor de cafe / Plataforma or take the super expensive modified hi lux from Bellavista. The thing which galls is that all the residents are there illegally (have no land claim), but you still have to pay for the "forest protection" they provide. Habitat is significantly degraded: in 2013 saw the barbet at the edge of the village. Now have to walk a couple of kms.

Oriental Brid Images website is looking for photos of apparently whole bunch (13!) undescribed species:

» Cyornis sp. nov. 1 Meratus Jungle-flycatcher
» Cyornis sp. nov. 2 Togian Jungle-flycatcher
» Erythrura sp. nov. Mount Mutis Parrotfinch
» Locustella sp. nov. 1 Taliabu Grasshopper Warbler
» Myzomela sp. nov. 1 Alor Myzomela
» Myzomela sp. nov. 2 Rote Myzomela
» Myzomela sp. nov. 3 Taliabu Myzomela
» Rhipidura sp. nov. Peleng Fantail
» Seicercus sp. nov. 1 Rote Leaf Warbler
» Seicercus sp. nov. 2 Peleng Leaf Warbler
» Seicercus sp. nov. 3 Taliabu Leaf Warbler
» Zosterops sp. nov. 1 Wangi-wangi White-eye
» Zosterops sp. nov. 2 Meratus White-eye

Anybody knows more about these creatures, and who and how 'not-yet-discovered' them?

Last edited:
The latest issue of Wingspan magazine has an article by Colin Trainor about the discovery of a Ficedula Pygmy Blue Flycatcher in Timor-Leste, which he originally detected in 2006/7. Not sure if it has been mentioned before (I couldn't find it in a search).

He said initial genetic comparisons with the nearest Pygmy Blue Flycatchers (from Borneo and Sumatra) suggest the differences are around 1.5%, so less than that between most distinct species. But the calls are different and work is ongoing.

Hemitriccus sp nov

I thought I was up to speed on most of the new taxa in Brazil but have only just spotted this one:

"SNETHLAGE'S TODY-TYRANT (Hemitriccus minor) – Seen well on both sides of the Madeira: an undescribed, species-level taxon on the west side; and nominate minor on the Roosevelt (east of the Madeira)."

http://fieldguides.com/triplists/roo16.html

Apologies if already covered upthread

cheers, alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back