• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taxonomy in-flux updates (2 Viewers)

What are folks thoughts on the Tinamus situation cited above?

My thoughts are that changing that to appease the code at this point would go over worse than the English name changes. There is so much usage precedent that whatever necessary should be done to maintain usage as it is now.

Yeah, this does seem like a situation where ICZN would maybe rule in a way that retains the status quo. I was just curious for my own phylogeny project, if it would be better to wait and see.

Also, on a unrelated note, the tackling of Paleognaths makes me hopeful that with his retirement John Boyd might be doing a top down revision of his entire list. Some sections are up to date, other sections less so.

December 13​

Lithornithiformes: Recent work (e.g., Worthy et al., 2017;Yonezawa et al., 2017). suggests that the Lithornithiformes are sister torest of the known Paleognaths, rather than being sister to theTinamiformes. Whether this is correct remains uncertain. A mesozoicLithornithidae fossil would resolve the question quickly, but there aren'tany. See also Nesbitt and Clarke (2016) and Widrig and Field (2022) formore on the Lithornithiformes.
[Palaeognathae: Ratites and Tinamous, 3.04]
References:

Sterling J. Nesbitt & Julia A. Clarke, 2016
The Anatomy and Taxonomy of the Exquisitely Preserved Green Eiver Formation (Early Eocene) Lithornithids (Aves) and the Relationships of Lithornithidae
Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 406: 1-91

Worthy at al., 2017
It is not clear to me which paper Mysticete means, there are several Worthy et al, 2017 papers. So I hope Mysticete can give rhe full reference.

Takahiro Yonezawa, Takahiro Segawa, Hiroshi Mori, Paula F. Campos, Yuichi Hongoh, Hideki Endo, Ayumi Akiyoshi, Naoki Kohno, Shin Nishida, Jiaqi Wu, Haofei Jin, Jun Adachi, Hirohisa Kishino, Ken Kurokawa, Yoshifumi Nogi, Hideyuki Tanabe, Harutaka Mukoyama, Kunio Yoshida, Armand Rasoamiaramanana, Satoshi Yamagishi, Yoshihiro Hayashi, Akira Yoshida, Hiroko Koike, Fumihito Akishinonomiya, Eske Willerslev, and Masami Hasegawa, 2017
Phylogenomics and Morphology of Extinct Paleognaths Reveal the Origin and Evolution of the Ratites
Current Biology 27, 68–77, January 9, 2017 ª 2017 Elsevier Ltd

Fred

References:

Sterling J. Nesbitt & Julia A. Clarke, 2016
The Anatomy and Taxonomy of the Exquisitely Preserved Green Eiver Formation (Early Eocene) Lithornithids (Aves) and the Relationships of Lithornithidae
Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 406: 1-91

Worthy at al., 2017
It is not clear to me which paper Mysticete means, there are several Worthy et al, 2017 papers. So I hope Mysticete can give rhe full reference.

Takahiro Yonezawa, Takahiro Segawa, Hiroshi Mori, Paula F. Campos, Yuichi Hongoh, Hideki Endo, Ayumi Akiyoshi, Naoki Kohno, Shin Nishida, Jiaqi Wu, Haofei Jin, Jun Adachi, Hirohisa Kishino, Ken Kurokawa, Yoshifumi Nogi, Hideyuki Tanabe, Harutaka Mukoyama, Kunio Yoshida, Armand Rasoamiaramanana, Satoshi Yamagishi, Yoshihiro Hayashi, Akira Yoshida, Hiroko Koike, Fumihito Akishinonomiya, Eske Willerslev, and Masami Hasegawa, 2017
Phylogenomics and Morphology of Extinct Paleognaths Reveal the Origin and Evolution of the Ratites
Current Biology 27, 68–77, January 9, 2017 ª 2017 Elsevier Ltd

Fred
I am just copying and pasting from the Taxonomy in-flux website. You would have to chat with the operator of the website, although he usually is good about putting references on his bibliography page.

Actually the inclusion of Lithornithidae at all surprises me. Boyd generally hasn't included Pre-Holocene extinct birds. I wonder if he is planning to expand coverage to cover ancient birds.

I am just copying and pasting from the Taxonomy in-flux website. You would have to chat with the operator of the website, although he usually is good about putting references on his bibliography page.

Actually the inclusion of Lithornithidae at all surprises me. Boyd generally hasn't included Pre-Holocene extinct birds. I wonder if he is planning to expand coverage to cover ancient birds.
Hi Mysticete,

Thanks for your answer,

It would be very interesting if Boyd have attention to ancient birds, they are birds, just as extant birds, only much less studied! But most present dat paleornithologists are excelent anf their papers often great. and the advances in paleornithology in the last 30 years is enormous.

Fred

Another problem with the Trevor Worthy et al. 2017 "ref" is that Boyd himself doesn't mention the paper in his references.

Fred

Yes, you are right Laurent.

But this paper is not mentiond in the refs of Boyd and an important part of the paper is about Sylviornithes and Vegaviiformes.

Fred

And I thought I was daring breaking up nightjars into subfamilies. Although level of taxonomic rank aside, it matches pretty closely what I did with nightjars last month

January 2024​

January 12​

Nightjars: Families Because of both the age of certain nightjar genera and biogeographic considerations, I've split Caprimulgidae into 4 families: Eurostopodidae, Lyncornithidae, Gactornithidae, and a restricted Caprimulgidae. The first three each include only a single genus.

The now restricted Caprimulgidae includes many genera which fall into 4 subfamilies: Neotropical nighthawks and nightjars (Nyctidrominae), an American subfamily containing the poorwills and paruaques (Antrostominae), the nighthawks (Chordeilinae), and a complex group of Old World nightjars (Caprimulginae). [Caprimulgiformes, Strisores I, 3.04]

Eurostopodidae: I've reordered the Eurostopodidae based on a partial phylogeny combined with geography.
[Eurostopodidae, Strisores I, 3.04]

Nightjars: Splits and Lumps Schweizer et al. (2020) showed that Vaurie's Nightjar, Caprimulgus centralasicus, is a form of the European Nightjar, Caprimulgus europaeus, likely of subspecies plumipes.

The Ruwenzori Nightjar, Caprimulgus ruwenzorii, has been merged into the Montane Nightjar, Caprimulgus poliocephalus. See Jackson (2014).

Based on Sangster et al. (2021c), both Franklin's Nightjar, Caprimulgus monticolus (including amoyensis and stictomus) Chirruping Nightjar, Caprimulgus griseatus (including mindanensis), are split from Savanna Nightjar, Caprimulgus affinis (including propinquus and timorensis).
[Caprimulgidae, Strisores I, 3.04]

Caprimulgus: I've reordered the narrow genus Caprimulgus based on a partial phylogeny combined with geography.
[Caprimulgidae, Strisores I, 3.04]

Rufous Potoo: The Rufous Potoo is rather divergent from the other potoos. As a result it gets its own new genus, Phyllaemulor. The genus was established by Costa et al. (2018).
[Nyctibiidae, Strisores I, 3.04]

Short-tailed Frogmouth: I changed the English name of Batrachostomus poliolophus, which previously split from Bornean Frogmouth, Batrachostomus mixtus. It is now Sumatran Frogmouth, not Short-tailed Frogmouth.
[Podargidae, Strisores I, 3.04]

Owlet-nightjars: I've elevated the owlet-nightjars to their own order, Aegotheliformes, as on the IOC list. This means that Apodiformes is now restricted to the treeswifts, swifts, and hummingbirds.
[Aegotheliformes, Strisores I, 3.04]

New Zealand Owlet-nightjar: I've included the extinct New Zealand Owlet-nightjar, Aegotheles novaezealandiae. See Holdaway et al. (2002) for more about this species. Dumbacher et al. (2003) were able to obtain DNA, hence the position on the tree.
[Aegothelidae, Strisores I, 3.04]

January 20
Agami Heron: The Agami Heron, Agamia agami, is once again placed in its own subfamily, Agamiinae. See Hruska et al. (2023). The name Unfortunately, Kushlan and Hancock did not provide a description of Agamiinae when they proposed it in 2005. Sangster et al. (2023) recently did so, and it is now Agamiinae Sangster, Kushlan, Gregory, and Dickinson, 2023.
[Ardeiformes, Ardeae II, 3.10]

Forest Bittern: Hruska et al. (2023) found that the Forest Bittern, Zonerodius heliosylus, is most likely sister to Ardeola.

Stripe-backed Bittern: The Stripe-backed Bittern, Ixobrychus involucris, has been moved to the genus Botaurus. See Päckert et al. (2014), Huang et al. (2016) and Hruska et al. (2023). Not sure why it took me so long to notice. The Stripe-backed Bittern had been ambiguously placed in some analyses.

Striated Herons: I've split the Striated Heron, Butorides striata into five taxa:

American Striated Heron, Butorides striata
African Striated Heron, Butorides atricapilla
Arabian Striated Heron, Butorides brevipes
Asian Striated Heron, Butorides javanica
Australasian Striated Heron, Butorides macrorhyncha.

Casmerodius expanded: Casmerodius has been expanded to include Mesophoyx and the White-necked Heron, formerly Ardea pacifica.

Great White Heron: I've split the Great White Heron, Ardea occidentalis, from the Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias. I had been on the fence about splitting them for some time. One thing that bothered me was how the two taxa could remain separate in spite of breeding in close proximity. I didn't appreciate that they used the method used by a number of seabirds. They don't breed at the same time of the year. This helps keep them separate, and has pushed me off the fence.

"Ixobrychus" exilis ane involucris are very distinct from Botaurus by their small size and pattern. Must be placed in their own genus

Last edited:
Interesting the comment about breeding chronology for Great White Heron. I had either never seen it or forgotten about that.

Also pretty aggressive on the treatment of Striated Heron but we expect nothing less ;)

Interesting the comment about breeding chronology for Great White Heron. I had either never seen it or forgotten about that.

Also pretty aggressive on the treatment of Striated Heron but we expect nothing less ;)
Yeah...this is an entirely PSC split, which is the case with most of the more "novel" TiF splits. Eared Grebe being an example I always think of, not to mention the recent backtracked Great Cormorant split. Personally I really only see an argument for splitting the Old vs New World forms at this point.

Striated Herons: I've split the Striated Heron, Butorides striata into five taxa:

American Striated Heron, Butorides striata
African Striated Heron, Butorides atricapilla
Arabian Striated Heron, Butorides brevipes
Asian Striated Heron, Butorides javanica
Australasian Striated Heron, Butorides macrorhyncha.
Jim, have you any firm idea on the attribution of the other 16 (+?) subspecies post-split. Most seem obvious, but...
MJB

Jim, have you any firm idea on the attribution of the other 16 (+?) subspecies post-split. Most seem obvious, but...
MJB
I had considered 4 species of Butorides (striata, sundevalli, virescens, atricapilla) with a monotypic striata and the other subspecies united in atricapilla

This isn't listed in the updates, but this bit on the page for Ardeiformes looks new, and a 4 way split of Great Egret definitely isn't something I have come across before:

Kushlan and Hancock (2005) and Christidis and Boles (2008) suggested treating the Great Egret as two species: Casmerodius albus and Casmerodius modestus. Certainly, the genetic distance between some of the Great Egret subspecies is quite large, comparable to that between Great and Intermediate Egret (Sheldon, 1987), but the subspecies analyzed are egretta and modestus. This suggest no significant gene flow between egretta and modestus, that they are distinct biological species.

But how do the other subspecies (albus and melanorhynchos) fit in? Both Kushlan and Hancock, and Cristidis and Boles, suggest that egretta should be grouped with albus and melanorhynchos. However, Pratt (2011) argues that the split should be between egretta and the rest, mainly on the basis of breeding plumage. However, Raty's 2014 barcoding tree suggests that albus and egretta are more closely related to each other than to modestus (with low support). It also suggests a species level difference between albus and egretta. Further, all 4 subspecies (including melanorhynchos) have distinctive breeding plumages.

Accordingly, I've split the Great Egret, Casmerodius modestus, into 4 species, based on differences in breeding plumage and, except for melanorhynchos, DNA.

• Eastern Great Egret, Casmerodius modestus,
  • Great White Egret, Casmerodius albus,
  • African Great Egret, Casmerodius melanorhynchos, and
  • American Egret, Casmerodius egretta.

Agreed on OW vs NW but also Lava Heron seemed to look decent as well from reading the paper.
To maintain Lava Heron, 3 NW spp must be recognised (as Lava is closer to virescens than either is to striata).

TiF treatment seems highly premature. We don't know what is going on with migratory and sedentary forms in eastern Asia and some of the island sspp are interesting and morphologically distinct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back