• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Sorry for going off-topic so to speak but I saw this in Spain and at first distant glance I thought a Twayblade but not so on closer inspection. I thought someone on here would be able to help. Unfortunately flowers had gone over. Thanks.

View attachment 582689

Yes, Gennaria diphylla which can be found in the Western Med and especially the Canaries where it's especially common in the humid laurel forests where I've seen it.

Mike

My Kent and E. Sussex trip now booked to start 21st May based on all the information. Many thanks and wish me luck ;)

I was out around Lewes today. Offham woods Early purples still opening up, some in full flower for a week but plenty to go. At Castle Hill NNR, Early Spider Orchid just starting, around twenty with open flowers, mainly one inch tall in the low grass on the south west of the Early Spider slope. I would say next two to three weeks will still have flowers in good condition. This is a great site. You may well know the site (and Caburn Burnt Orchid site which is usually a week later) but I can provide location directions by PM if not and if this is helpful, Muba.

After a cold start, it feels like the UK orchid season is here!

A. morio

Green-winged Orchids now out in Kent at KWT Marden Meadow and Scotney Castle lawns. Quite a few out but loads more still to come up at both venues.
Dave

Attachments

• 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 0000.jpg
    0000.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 120
Getting rolling...

I could only find one, stunted, early purple in flower at Aston Rowant today -- not worth a photo. The back-garden common spot is developing a nice florette though :)

I'm planning on visiting Anglesey in early June, and see that "Harraps" comments that the nearby(ish) Roman Steps is "well known" for Lesser Twayblade. Has anyone actually found any here (or within striking distance)? The first-nature site reports "We have never found it there despite searching very hard for it".

Thx,
ian

EPO and ESO

Both out in Kent in good numbers, though it's been 9 days since I was at the Hoe.
Dave

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    758.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 137
I could only find one, stunted, early purple in flower at Aston Rowant today -- not worth a photo. The back-garden common spot is developing a nice florette though :)

I'm planning on visiting Anglesey in early June, and see that "Harraps" comments that the nearby(ish) Roman Steps is "well known" for Lesser Twayblade. Has anyone actually found any here (or within striking distance)? The first-nature site reports "We have never found it there despite searching very hard for it".

Thx,
ian

Hi Ian

They are at Roman Steps but it's a huge walk for very few plants. It's mildly frustrating that this site has become the Welsh locality for the species because really it's rubbish! Lovely walk up though.

Much better is a site I came across some years ago beside the road between Lake Vyrnwy and Bala. If you give me your email address, I'll send you the details.

There's also a recently discovered site in Herefordshire about a mile from the Welsh border which I visited last year and found lots of plants. Again, a longish walk but rewarding and the views are stunning.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi Ian

They are at Roman Steps but it's a huge walk for very few plants. It's mildly frustrating that this site has become the Welsh locality for the species because really it's rubbish! Lovely walk up though.

Much better is a site I came across some years ago beside the road between Lake Vyrnwy and Bala. If you give me your email address, I'll send you the details.

There's also a recently discovered site in Herefordshire about a mile from the Welsh border which I visited last year and found lots of plants. Again, a longish walk but rewarding and the views are stunning.

Mike

I can vouch for the Vyrnwy site. You will probably need to take wellies though.

The Early Purples seem to be very slow coming into flower locally this year, with many still in bud and the Greater Butterflies catching up with them.

Attachments

• orchids-may-2-2016-1.jpg
    orchids-may-2-2016-1.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 191
Hi
In North Lancs at Silverdale the Early Purples are more abundant than I have seen them before - also four var. alba. The Green-winged include a few of the rose-pink variety. All are in nice condition now.
Regards, Chris

Good show of Early Purples near the observatory at Dungeness, though many are in cages to protect them from Rabbits.

Huntingdonshire - Monks Wood - Early Purples in good numbers and good condition at the moment. Two patches along north west perimeter path if anyone interested.

Devon. Early Purples all over the place at Berry Head a few starting to go over, a lot at their best and still quite a few in very tight bud. Green Winged at their best now.
Orley Common again EPOs in a complete range from tight to going over. Greater Butterfly most still just rosettes one with the start of a flower spike.
Exmouth the Green Winged at their best

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back