• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

X beeb ID (1 Viewer)

I've already had a go. Does Dan want another chance? If not I do have some photos.
Thanks for posting Sue, they were good fun!

Cheers,

Hi Chris,

I'm pretty sure Dan's away "to sunnier climes" at present. So, if you're willing then that's fine by me and I'll look forward to it.

Thanks Chris,

Sue.

I'll have a rummage then...

So shall I start a new thread?
I feel a bit guilty cluttering up the forum, but I guess it's the best way!

Hi Chris,

I'd definately start a new thread because as you say it is the best way, the only way now as this one has run it's course. Good luck Chris, let's hope the response is good! It's not cluttering the the board though, no more than any others - and it is informative and educational!;)

Sue.

Hi Sue,
Thanks for letting us know the results and congrats to Chris and Dan!

Numbers 4 & 5 were very tricky and I went for Kestrel instead of Fieldfare as I though it looked as if was hovering in the pic???? a good imagination eh? lol!!!

As for no 5....I hadn't a clue so went for Barn Owl strictly on colour.......and I'm sure I saw some trailing legs there too???

Thanks for putting them on Sue....good fun!

Best wishes,

Hi Ruth,

Glad you enjoyed it, you didn't do bad at all, just those couple that perhaps needed a little look at the book to check with. Here's No 5 the BH Gull brought up a little more to show you the juv plumage - better to prove there's no Owl legs under it too! ;) Barn Owls wings are a little different. I see what you meant about the Fieldfare (you weren't the only one! Nor with the BHG), but a Kestrel only has a narrow band at the end of the tail, whereas the Fieldfare's is quite broad. All easily done though, but things like this help us all much more for the future.

You did very well Ruth and I'm pleased you enjoyed it, the main objective, so have a go on Chris' next one. Good luck. PS. Here's a Barn Owl too so you can see the wings a little to compare.

Sue

Attachments

• Mystery 5 brought up.jpg
    Mystery 5 brought up.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Barn Owl nr Shaftesbury.jpg
    Barn Owl nr Shaftesbury.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Sue Wright said:
Hi Ruth,
Glad you enjoyed it, you didn't do bad at all, just those couple that perhaps needed a little look at the book to check with.
Thanks for that Sue....I always try to do these things without books/googling as it makes you look for yourself and in the end learn more.....if you see what I mean?
And yes no trailing legs on the Black Headed Gull!! lol!! ;)
Best wishes,

Hi Sue

That eider really stumped me!

Thanks for setting the quiz, it was fun taking part. Looking forward now to seeing what Chris comes up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back