• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

debating between vortex fury or razor..advice? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Well, it turns out the on line retailer I placed my order for the Nikon Premier
10 x 42 is currently back ordered with no ship date to them from Nikon. I know
that some retailers still have them in thier stock, so I decided to cancel my
order. It think now that the Premiers really are over my price budget anyway.

So, now I am debating between the Vortex Fury 10 x 42 or the Vortex Razor 10 x 42. I know you are probably thinking why not the model in the middle, the Viper 10 x 42? Well, I would love to but the Viper but I have a somewhat narrow face and a PD of 57.5mm. The minimum PD on the Viper is 59mm. I tried
them out at our local birding store and I could not get the barrels close enough
to fuse together the full viewing circle....so the Vipers are out.

I have owned the Vortex Broadwing 10 x 42 in the past. They have a minimum
PD of 56mm and they worked perfectly for me!

Both the Fury and the Razor have minimum PDs of 56mm, so I know they will
work.

So my question is......Are the Razors dramatically better both optically and
build quality wise than the Furys? I know the Furys are made in China and the
Razors are made in Japan.

This binoculars will be use for casual nature observation around my home and
in the woods and field and for sporting events and concerts, and such.

I would appreciate hearing from folks who either own both models are have
extensively test both.

Thanks!

In the old days it was a fun thing to compare all those. But most people spend the money on Chinese ED glass instead. The Vortex line does not have any, but staying with EO, these are it
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/atlas-optics/atlas-optics-intrepid-ed-10x42-binocular

you have to call them to get the ipd. Or look up ..where?

It is in fact very similar to ZR and others. My ProMaster, similar, has minimal ipd of 55m, but it is hard to get a nose in there between barrels at that point. They are rather bulky barrels.

What is the ideal binocular size for small ipd? Is there a 32mm model that would work? 10x32 is a rare beast.

Last edited:
Any bino with a minimum PD of 56mm works perfect for me, as I owned the Vortex Broadwing 10 x 42 with 56mm, before some fool stole them from my car.
So I know the Fury and the Razor will work, along with Leupold Golden Ring, Meopta Meostar.

Also, regrettably, the Pentax DCF SP does not work for me, with their minimum PD of 58mm.
The barrels just wont come close enough to fuse the two images. Thats too bad, because
I really LOVED the look and the feel of them in my hands.

Im wondering...do folks here use binoculars with incorrect IPD anyway?? When you cant
obtain a perfect full circle while viewing they are out for me. Maybe others this does not
bother. It would be interesting to here others thoughts on this.

I was at the Rutland bird watch event here in the UK last year and I tried all the Vortex binoculars on offer. The best I peered through were the Razor's.

Now all I did was try each and every set out, twice as it happened, and the razors were the best they had there. Will seriously consider a set myself in the future, and will be back there is August to have another look and comparison.

I assume that one of the other sets were the Fury's but if honest I cannot say for certain. They had at least 3, maybe's 4, model ranges on show and for trial.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back