• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch HG vs Conquest vs Viper. (1 Viewer)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
Has anyone been able to compare Nikon MHG, Zeiss Conquest and Vortex Viper?
There are three models that I have in mind, but one problem I have is my sensitivity to blackouts, I don't know if any of them is more remarkable in this problem...
I would also use it for astronomical observation..., any particular recommendation in this price bracket?...
Any particular model?
Thank you
Pepito

Hello,
There are three models that I have in mind, but one problem I have is my sensitivity to blackouts, I don't know if any of them is more remarkable in this problem...
I would also use it for astronomical observation..., any particular recommendation in this price bracket?...
Any particular model?
Thank you
Pepito
Yes, I have tried them all and I prefer the Nikon HG 10x42. It has sharper edges, a bigger FOV and a flatter field than the other two, which is better for astronomy, and it is much lighter at 24 oz. and more compact. The Nikon HG 10x42 is quite amazing how good it is for the price. Of the whole Nikon HG line, the 10x42 is by far the best. It is hard to beat at the $1000 price point.

Last edited:
Hello,
Any particular model?
Thank you
Pepito
I have compared them all side by side and I own the MHG. The Conquest and MHG are different but equal optically. I liked the MHG for the FOV, weight/shape, and focuser. The Conquest is heavier and has rubber armor that the MHG doesn’t, the image is colder with a bit more pincushion. This makes the Conquest image look slightly brighter but harsher to my eyes. They both have good contrast but show a not insignificant amount of CA away from the center, about equally so. The guy at the store insisted that I compare them to the Viper otherwise I wouldn’t have. The Viper is fine but clearly not as good (less contrast, dimmer/duller). Many people, including the salesperson, wouldn’t even notice much difference. The Viper is certainly cheaper and also offers the best warranty.

I think you’d enjoy any of the three. The most significant factor for you would probably be how they feel in the hand and function against your facial structure.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back