• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Warbler: Female Yellow Warbler? (1 Viewer)

jward

Hello there gurus.

Please kindly help to id this bird. Caught from my window here in New Jersey. I've seen this bird several times. When she leans forward, her crown down to her back is grayish. I have many goldfinches around and do not thing she is one. When her back is turned, however, she has blackish wings with white barrings like a goldfinch. Is she just a big one...?

Jarrod

Attachments

• Mystery Bird.jpg
    Mystery Bird.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 275
Sure looks like a female American goldfinch to me. She's fluffed up from the cold which could make her seem a lot larger than she really is.

It's not a warbler,undertail pattern does not match any warbler we see here.No streaking on chest or flanks.American Golfinch fall plumage for me too.
Kevin.......

Note also the thick stubby bill - definitely not a warbler bill. Bill shape/size is one of the most useful characteristics to use for bird id. I agree with the others - American Goldfinch.

Also Jarrod,if you search the gallery,you will see this undertail pattern(my favorite I.D tool)matches the American Goldfinch.
Good luck.Kevin.......

Yeah I dont think there is a Warbler with such a forked tail. So I'm going with the female american Goldfinch too.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back