• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My birds have no taste (1 Viewer)

sourton

I had a cheap green seed feeder in my tree but the perches that screw in came loose and fell off, I couldn't find them anywhere so I decided to buy a new feeder and spent £20 on a brown one. The new one is different from the other one in that instead of the perches it has a circular plate to land on which also catches the seed. Well it has been up for a week now and the only bird to land on it has been a robin, all the other birds totally ignore it. They obviously have no taste for expensive things or dont like brown feeders. I am going to give it a few more days and then go out and buy a cheap green one.

They sometimes need time to get used to new things, sometimes - maybe give them a week or so to settle into the new one. Good luck. Fussy little b*ggers, aren't they!!

Well I gave them 2 weeks and then felt sorry for them going without seed for that time so I went out and bought another feeder, the same one as the one that lost the perches, and within a day they were on it feeding. Have to get him indoors to glue the perches on so they dont fall off this time.

My birds have no taste
Have you tried adding salt and pepper?:-O
KLH is right though, they are fussy. I've got two feeders, an old Droll Yankee with silvery metal ports and perches, and a newer RSPB one with blue plastic ports and perches.

The old one empties three times as fast as the RSPB one!

Wouldn't you think they'd prefer a warm plastic perch to a cold metal one, especially in winter?

Mike:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back