• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the best way to keep my hummingbird feeder from freezing? (1 Viewer)

Micah_G

Birder / Enjoyer of all Nature
United States
Hey guys and gals!

I am looking for a good way to keep my hummingbird feeder from freezing this winter for some Anna's Hummingbirds. I know there are a lot of ways to do this but I'm looking for cheap way. I have a very cheap dollar store hummingbird feeder that has a base with a diameter of 3.5 inches. A reptile terrarium heater that is circular that would fit the base of my feeder would be awesome, although I can't find any that would work for this. Other people use a reptile heat lamp or anything of similar use, non LED Christmas lights or heat tape that plumbers use. Also I live in eastern Washington so the winters are colder than on the coast. Please let me know how you get around this issue. Thanks!

Attachments

• 77083175-3430-40AA-A9A5-DF152352B1E4_1_201_a.jpeg
    77083175-3430-40AA-A9A5-DF152352B1E4_1_201_a.jpeg
    875 KB · Views: 4
  • CD1EE0DC-08FC-4AFC-97C2-86D5C5D5A5FD_1_201_a.jpeg
    CD1EE0DC-08FC-4AFC-97C2-86D5C5D5A5FD_1_201_a.jpeg
    959 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Do you have humming birds when it's cold enough to freeze? Mine here in north east PA go south for the winter and don't think I see them till april or may.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back