• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Make up your own bird names (1 Viewer)

Ok,
Blood Weakling
Mountain Weakling

A couple from further afield
Silver Eagle
Robbing Eagle
Dwarf Eagle
Darker Storm Diver
Pale -footed Storm Diver
Blue Foreheaded Leaf Chicken

Technical point - is this thread no longer about making up your own bird names? "To give them a more appropriate name"

Instead a quiz trying to work out what other countries literal translations are?

???

I agree that there's been a bit of a tread swerve, but it is still about considering different names for familiar birds.

Personally I like the format where somebody gives names without straight away giving which birds they're meant to apply to. It encourages one to actually think about the issue.

I thought the quiz aspect is something that people can take or leave - for those who don't want to play the question of which name is meant to apply to which bird is still answered.

I just wish I knew more about birds from the Far East to have a go at the suggestions from #62.

I do agree that the more recent posts are somewhat different from the post that started it. I apologize to Peter if he feels that he's not getting the responses he was looking for.

Andrea

Of course, the Blackbird used to be known as Ouzel.

Probably still is in some parts,

We had a similar thread a while back I think. I remember posting that I think Blackbirds should be renamed as Garden Ouzels.

I love 'king of the fence' for Wren. That's so apt. :t:

I agree that there's been a bit of a tread swerve, but it is still about considering different names for familiar birds.

I do agree that the more recent posts are somewhat different from the post that started it. I apologize to Peter if he feels that he's not getting the responses he was looking for.

Andrea

Probably just me being ocd and a bit grumpy.

I'm sometimes in favour of splitting things off when they swerve, but then that means extra work/effort, and I guess none of it is really important at the end of the day.

Andrea

No apology necessary, Andrea. I've diverted threads myself in the past and am happy for this one to wander wherever it may.

Peter

I don't like any bird name this is longer than the bird itself - like Golden-crowned Kinglet. I don't have a good alternative to this (although we regularly do use "gicky" as a sort of nickname).

But I do think it's reasonable to use "Redhatch" and "Whitehatch" for our two local Nuthatch spp. It's not as if there are any other bird names with the element "nuthatch" in them (locally), and the "breasted" part is just plain redundant.

I don't know if anybody to the south of us uses "Brownhatch" - doesn't roll off the tongue nearly as well, for me. And I suppose "Pyghatch" is just a complete non-starter! |;|

Peter

Indeterminate Egret

I also liked Alan lewis's Semi-interesting Plover on a rare bird thread

I also think that Large would be a good name for Ostrich, or since the split you'd have Common Large and Somali Large. Then you'd be able to say things like: oh look there's a Large. And maybe Greater Rhea and Lesser Rhea could be Lesser Large and Least Large respectively.

Last edited:
From Thailand this year. Thai language has over 20 vowels and 30 consonants, but none exactly fits English sounds. Our guide spoke some garbled first syllabes, and our part was to guess the full name, speak it aloud in correct English, and hopefully hear yes. So, these are names of Thai birds:

Peeko
Rat beeda
Bert

If you don't know Asian wildlife by heart, this you know. We asked about some sound, and the answer was:

No! Koelo.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back