• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Make up your own bird names (3 Viewers)

Flora butterbum is I'm sure quite fun, but not the most respectful ;)

I was thinking 'Fluffball' for Long-tailed Tit

'Pinger' for Bearded Tit/Reedling *

and 'Pineapplehead' for ... Hoopoe

*(That should get rid of the that reedling re-naming controversy. I'd also rename the Crested Coot as the Crested Coot.)

Last edited:
I think that was the point being made.... (twit + '' and imbecil + 'e'....):eek!:

Yes, I've seen several explanations, and all could be true, one way or another.;)
MJB

Apologies, I'm a bit slow on the uptake lately.

Flora butterbum is I'm sure quite fun, but not the most respectful ;)

I'd also rename the Crested Coot as the Crested Coot.)

Tell me it's just me.

A few UK summer visitors:

Sky-chasing screamers = Common Swifts
Golden Voiced Can't See = Nightingale
The churr-bird = Nightjar (but that probably doesn't need improvement)

Peter

But it doesn't have a crest, or a knob.

It's been called Crested Coot historically. That's fine by me. We don't have to change the name. That's what it's called. We don't have to change eg 'Redshank' to 'Redleg' just because the English language has moved on and shank is not really used much in common speech. We don't have to rename Yellowhammers either. Or even 'Red-crested' Pochard just because they don't really have a crest, and it happens to be orange anyway.

'Red-knobbed' Coot is just wrong!!

;)

Can we call Hoopoe Jason Lee then?

I'm not sure about new names but can we always use "seven-stripe sprite" for Pallas's Warbler?

I think that's where I gained my inspiration from (was going to include a link to the song after googling, but thought better of it in the end ;) )

I agree with 7ss for Pallas's, and the traditional Humbug too, PGTips is another cracker of a name. There already is a wealth of bird names already in use out there, including some of the traditional English ones like Windhover and Dabchick (I think that's another subject though ... )

'Red-knobbed' Coot is just wrong!!

I'm convinced someone was having a laugh when that one was invented. I still call it Crested Coot.

I think it's the wonderful, old Kirkman and Jourdain book that refers to Greater and Lesser Yellowshank. There's a logic there that I like.

There are a few birds i would like to rename - Hen Harrier deserves something more imaginative like "Ghost Harrier" perhaps?

Eurasian Bee-eater = Rainbow Bee-eater?

Bruce would be ok in Australia and the female would obviously be called Sheila;)

Bruce has got a Green Pigeon (Treron waalia) already, and features in Pallid Scops Owl Otus brucei and, Brown-cheeked Fulvetta Alcippe poioicetta brucei... However, 'Sheila' doesn't appear in the IOCv4.1 list, although the nominal variant 'Cecilia' does, in the Moustached Hawk Cuckoo subspecies Hierococcyx vagans ciceliae...
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back