• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Make up your own bird names (3 Viewers)

Here is a very cryptic name

Heavy-metal Bunting = Yellowhammer

No?

Ok, I'll explain.

Yellowhammer is Goldammer in German, as Ammer is Bunting and gold is heavy, therefore Heavy-metal Bunting!

I've long wanted to change the name of Red-bellied Woodpecker to something more useful, descriptively. I have never come up with anything but "Ladder-backed Woodpecker" which is, unfortunately, already taken.

I've long wanted to change the name of Red-bellied Woodpecker to something more useful, descriptively. I have never come up with anything but "Ladder-backed Woodpecker" which is, unfortunately, already taken.

I've often thought about potential names for this species as well. Perhaps Carolina Woodpecker. It's hard to come up with accurate descriptive names that aren't already taken - maybe Red-capped, but not quite accurate. Blank-faced Woodpecker? Bar-backed Woodpecker?

I've often thought about potential names for this species as well. Perhaps Carolina Woodpecker. It's hard to come up with accurate descriptive names that aren't already taken - maybe Red-capped, but not quite accurate. Blank-faced Woodpecker? Bar-backed Woodpecker?
Carolina Woodpecker would be appropriate, as it describes the range fairly accurately. ("Carolinean" might be closer.)

Sylvanian Grebe is one I've come across.

And let's just help everyone and call them Wooper Swans (instead of Hooper for Whooper)

Yes lets sort out some badly spelled/pronounced birds.

Is it a Hoopo or a Hoopoo

Change all the plovers to pluvers

And just change prothonotary warbler to yellow warbler II

Dodge Viper for Crested Caracara.

Not seen either, but reckon it kinda fits?

For the Northern Crested Caracara, a Belize farmer called it, in wonderfully mellifluous fashion, 'Skoll-croshin Chicken-oke' (Skull-crushing Chicken-Hawk).:eek!:
MJB

In Chinese folk stories, the Wagtail is called an 'Ice-smasher Bird'- apparently, it arrives at precisely the time of the melting ice in spring.
Some other cool Chinese-English translations are-

Coot- Eurasian Bone-fronted Chicken
Red-necked Phalarope- Petal-footed Sandpiper
Caspian Tern- Red-billed Colossal Gull
Coppersmith Barbet- Crimson-chested Similar-to-Woodpecker
Pied Kingfisher- Patterned Fish-dog
Tibetan Sandgrouse- Tibet Furry-legged Sand-chicken (I am not making any of these up, honest.)
Brown Noddy- White-fronted Hover-gull

I like the idea of translations! For those of you not familiar with German, care to guess the names of the following common European passerines?

Cathedral cleric (though really need a slightly more derogatory word for the second)

Gray snapper

Kernel biter

Silktail

Summer golden chicklet (cockerellet would be even closer)

Winter golden chicklet

King of the fence

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back