• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (6 Viewers)

Ha, yeah, rumbled Tim!! Really must start doing standard-sized pieces then I wouldn't have to order bespoke frames for £80....! Will they like it...?? To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I care.....I think me and them have differing ideas towards wildlife art! But we'll see. Are you entering any?

I've gone a bit mad this year Adam - I'm sending five down.

Good for you mate - and agree wholeheartedly with Ken's sentiments! Bloody expensive though, even more so for you way up there - bad enough going on the train from here!! I guess we'll await the acceptance postings at the end of the month with bated breath....

Trying something a little different. Going for a 'tarted-up' page from a sketchbook feel. I offset the colour detailing so I can fill in the empty spaces with graphite and colour-washed sketches. Which ones to put there I haven't quite decided.....worry about that towards the end of the week!

View attachment 277092View attachment 277093View attachment 277094

think I prefer the bigger white wing-patches actually......

that's allover beautiful- but just been admiring the dark green leaves in particular: masterful

Rather lovely indeed Matty, like the foliage too, what a stunning bird! Look forward to the end result, looks to me a winner...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone...been having some of those self-doubt issues (feelings I'm sure we all know well..!) Worked on it all last night and it doesn't seemed to've changed that much.....will finish off leaves today and work on filling in part of the tree itself and that gives me a couple of days to sort out which sketches are going where.

African Paradise-Fly WIP (3) (Large).jpg

The big white wing patches are back now too! The ssp I saw in Uganda had the reduced white but I found some photos of birds with most of the wing white and it just seemed to look better - good 'ole artistic licence!! ;)

Last edited:
Another night - at least it looks a bit more different now...Worked the bird a bit more but will leave him 'til later as that's the fun part!

African Paradise-Fly WIP (4) (Large).jpg

It looks great! I will second (third) on the larger wing patches - it seems to being a bit of the "page" through to the darker upper right bit, and works quite nicely.

Well.....main bit's mostly done - added the flutterby to give the bird a focal point (and liked the way it mirrored the bird's plumage). Added another leaf up top to give it balance and to bring in some more chestnut tone....main trunk needs a bit more work on the left shady side. Now to put the sketches around it. Annoyingly had a better idea for this type of pic earlier but it's too bloody late to do anything about it now. B*gger! Oh well, next time.....

African Paradise-Fly WIP (5) (Large).jpg

PS Sorry the lighting's a bit crap - it's late ;)
PPS The meteor shower earlier tonight was a bit underwhelming to say the least....think I saw 3 - hardly Day of the Triffids! :-O

Ha! Cheers H - I went back to the drawingboard...literally!
I feel another all-nighter coming on...gonna look like crap wandering' around London tomorrow.....!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back