• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Pheasant Family - recovered (1 Viewer)

david2004

This is one of my threads I have recovered after the crash:

I usually get a male Pheasant strutting in from on of the fields every day. He eats the spilt seed for a while, and forages in the copse. On one occasion a female was with him, but I haven't seen her for ages.

Today I glanced out the window and saw an amazing sight! EIGHT male Pheasants, with I think ONE female with them! These huge birds were all together feeding from under the birdtable. It was absolutely fantastic!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AnnieW
David -

Can't beat 8 males in one go (must be a great garden sight) BUT have had 8 females in the garden. They spent most of last summer appearing each morning, normally accompanied by 2 males. The males spent most of the time sparring with each other and then the victor would parade aound in front of the females ..... meanwhile the females completely ignored them and got on with the important task of eating !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nutcracker
I'd suspect they were refugees from a shooting day at a nearby shooting estate. But now they know there's free food available, they may well stay!

Could get expensive in birdseed

helenol
I have counted 41 at one time in my garden, usually around 20-25 on a daily basis.

tp20uk
41!!! Good grief! You're very lucky to get so many on a daily basis!

Thanks for the great replies everyone. Just a solitary male outside this morning!

Nina P
I get spooked by one everyday! He comes in for food but often hides among the plants and I don't always spot him there so off he goes shrieking at me for alarming him, but he always makes me jump and that isn't good for me!
LOads of females and males in the field behind my garden seen everymorning if I am up and abut earlyenough! got a vixen barking most mornings about sixish! If you live in the open countryside you possibly get loads more than you think too!

tp20uk
Thats great Nina! I wish I lived in open countryside - no such luck though. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

timmyjones
Thats great Nina! I wish I lived in open countryside - no such luck though. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

what you don't live in the country side and you still get phesants!!!

the rarest/nicest bird i once got was brambling!

tp20uk
I dont live in the countryside exactly - i live on the edge of an estate in the middle of a town, which is next to fields.

Nina P
Best bit of land helps to find pheasants, do you get owls too? I have four fields behind my garden with dense copse around one of them and have a great sight of raptors, this morning had Buzzard calling and corvids giving voice at the buzzard! Have loads of rabbits and pigeons too so with tawnys and the odd Barn owl there is plenty of scope for many good raptors!

tp20uk
so much great wildlife you have there Nina! Saw a Buzzard ONCE circling over a nearby field. Have a Kestrel around very often, though I haven't seen it for ages. Owls we do have, but no Barn. I heard a Tawny a month ago in the tree outside. Never got a glimpse of it though! We have put up an owl nestbox too and it was hooting very near to it so hopefully they might nest! You never know....

Not really many Raptors. NEVER seen a Sparrowhawk here, but plenty of corvids here!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back