• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Red Tail Hawk and the Bald Eagle (1 Viewer)

JMomOhio

I had an amazing event happen yesterday. I took our dogs outside to do their 'business' and while I was standing on the deck I saw this Red Tail overhead. While I watched it swooped over into the top of a tall oak tree and snatched up a squirrel. It maneuvered a bit in the wind to accomodate the weight and then all of a sudden it dropped the squirrel! I was puzzled until I saw what happened next! Right behind it came a bald eagle to chase it off and the eagle went down to retrieve the squirrel. I ran in the house to get my camera and when I came back out the eagle was nowhere in sight, but the hawk was still flying overhead. I was taking pictures of it when all of a sudden it start flying RIGHT TOWARD ME!! Yikes!! Went within 3 ft over my head and right thru a hemlock tree next to our deck trying to snare some birds. It failed at that attempt and by then I was rounding up my dogs and heading inside. 2 of my 3 dogs are small....Schipperkes if you know the breed, and after it came so close to me I worried for the safety of my dogs. Would a hawk or eagle snatch up a 15 lb dog???

Attachments

• RedTailHawkNov2011 005 (Large).jpg
    RedTailHawkNov2011 005 (Large).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 41
A 15 bl. dog would be quite a challenge for a red-tail but there have been numerous cases of bald eagles taking small dogs in recent years.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back