• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you think have the most WOW factor! (2 Viewers)

Dennis, the most common request I get when folks order binoculars is to make sure the collimation is spot on so I do check every pair that goes out for that reason but also make sure everything else is doing what it's supposed to. The focus on yours was right where expected for that model.
You have no samples of Habicht's with any easier focus mechanisms? I wonder if they could be sent in to Swarovski and lubricated or something.

Last edited:
Optical quality isn't the only thing to go WOW over when it comes to bins.

Some bins look totally desirable and others don't. Being an Oldy I have very fond memories of the elegance of Zeiss Dialyt 8x30s (or 8x20s or 10x40s) or Leitz Trinovid 8x40s from the 1960s and 1970s. I'm referring specifically to the leatherette covered versions rather than rubber armoured.

So how about an assessment of bins from the point of view of visual lust???

Lee

Lee

The mere sight of some binoculars is enough to illicit yearnings of a libidinous nature within me. The 8x30 Habicht (leather version) and the 7x42 B/GAT Dialyt are great lookers to my eyes.

I'm also becoming quite enamored with the new HTs and can't wait to get my hands on one of those gorgeous looking hunks of glass.

Steve

Dennis, I assumed you to be an intelligent bloke, but you persist in tantrums I associate with Teenagers !

But on a kinder note, I`m somewhat surprised, that as a binocular fan of some considerable experience you feel your one Habicht could be considered representative of all Habichts, maybe it was an under par one ?

I can`t agree with you on the 8x32 Trinovid being the best WP roof, tried a used one last week when trying the HT, IMO things have moved on, I`m not saying it was`nt a cracking binocular, it just can`t match the newer generation for me.

Lee

The mere sight of some binoculars is enough to illicit yearnings of a libidinous nature within me. The 8x30 Habicht (leather version) and the 7x42 B/GAT Dialyt are great lookers to my eyes.

I'm also becoming quite enamored with the new HTs and can't wait to get my hands on one of those gorgeous looking hunks of glass.

Steve

Steve

Yes I agree. I think all Habicht leatherette porros epitomise what a graceful porro should look like.

The HTs are really slinky. Next to my long-loved FLs they look elegant and sophisticated. Put it like this, if both bins were female, the FL would drink gin and the HT would drink champagne LOL.

Lee

Dennis, I assumed you to be an intelligent bloke, but you persist in tantrums I associate with Teenagers !

But on a kinder note, I`m somewhat surprised, that as a binocular fan of some considerable experience you feel your one Habicht could be considered representative of all Habichts, maybe it was an under par one ?

I can`t agree with you on the 8x32 Trinovid being the best WP roof, tried a used one last week when trying the HT, IMO things have moved on, I`m not saying it was`nt a cracking binocular, it just can`t match the newer generation for me.
Proud Papa said my Habicht was typical of his inventory. So I guess that is the way they are. Glad you like your HT. They are a "handsome" binocular. I think Leica's especially the Trinvovids are some of the toughest binoculars made.There is something about the Trinovid view I have always liked over the Zeiss and I am referring to the FL's. The Zeiss are almost antiseptic or sterile meaning totally clean ,whereas the Trinovids have this natural look to their view that for some reason I like. I like the way stuff looks through them. I believe it is their contrast. Although some may prefer the optics of the newer alphas the Trinovids still make a good tough waterproof travel binocular because of their compact dimensions and since they are only $600.00 you don't have to worry about them as much as a $2K HT. And as one guide I had in Costa Rica said about his Trinovids "They just work." I like the Trinovids. I have the 8x32 BN and the 8x20 Trinovid. I like the simple pull-up eyecups, the metal ring strap attachment and the ribbed armour they have. Just a simple compact beautiful design. Classic.

Last edited:
Enter the ''other'' Dennis, the wiser, calmer and more polite version.

Maybe it's time of day, or what he has been eating, but there is a clear shift in mood from post to post - almost like someone else takes over the keyboard from time to time.

Enter the ''other'' Dennis, the wiser, calmer and more polite version.

Maybe it's time of day, or what he has been eating, but there is a clear shift in mood from post to post - almost like someone else takes over the keyboard from time to time.

Agreed- well said.

Last edited:
What a thread. I'm actually somewhat surprised no action has been taken by the moderators, some of the stuff our resident troll has posted over the past few days would warrant a ban IMNSHO.

Anyway, a few words on the Habicht 8x30. This is based on using a friend's pair for a couple of days in the field last month, including some lengthy comparisons with my Nikon 8x32 SE. The Habicht is from 2011, so it should have the latest coatings, the Nikon is also a late model.

Optically I think the Habicht and the Nikon are both excellent - but rather different. The Nikon is obviously sharper at the edge, the Habicht is noticeably softer outside its largish sweetspot. On axis, however, the Habicht seems just a little bit sharper, and the contrast seems me to be also a bit better. The difference in sharpness between the two binoculars I compared in the field wasn't exactly overwhelming but visible when looking at a flock of buntings in a field, with both binoculars mounted on a tripod. The colours of the Habicht are also more natural and not quite as warm as the Nikon's. Transmission is notoriously difficult to judge in the field, but in really murky light I felt the Habicht *just* had the edge over the Nikon. BTW, both were clearly better than my Leica 8x32 BA optically.

Handling - well, that's even more a personal thing than the optics. I think the Nikon has the better eyepieces. I never had any problems with blackouts with my Nikon SEs, and I find the eyepieces very comfortable, more comfortable than those of the Habicht. However, that's not really a killer, and I found I got used to the Habicht quite quickly. I prefer the shape of the Habicht - they're traditional, small and elegant binoculars. But I also quite like the shape of the Nikons. So, once again a draw - they're both good, but different.

The focussing of the Habicht *is* a bit tight, but then that's the price you have to pay when you want to use a waterproof porro with center focusing. It's certainly not *too* tight IMO and still perfectly useable. I used both binoculars in woodland for a couple of hours, and even though using the Nikons was a bit more comfortable, I'm certain I could get used to the rather tight focus of the Habicht quite easily. Both aren't quite as easy to focus as a modern roof, that's for sure. But then they're both high-quality porros at about half the price of a roof of comparable quality.

Hermann

What a thread. I'm actually somewhat surprised no action has been taken by the moderators, some of the stuff our resident troll has posted over the past few days would warrant a ban IMNSHO.

Anyway, a few words on the Habicht 8x30. This is based on using a friend's pair for a couple of days in the field last month, including some lengthy comparisons with my Nikon 8x32 SE. The Habicht is from 2011, so it should have the latest coatings, the Nikon is also a late model.

Optically I think the Habicht and the Nikon are both excellent - but rather different. The Nikon is obviously sharper at the edge, the Habicht is noticeably softer outside its largish sweetspot. On axis, however, the Habicht seems just a little bit sharper, and the contrast seems me to be also a bit better. The difference in sharpness between the two binoculars I compared in the field wasn't exactly overwhelming but visible when looking at a flock of buntings in a field, with both binoculars mounted on a tripod. The colours of the Habicht are also more natural and not quite as warm as the Nikon's. Transmission is notoriously difficult to judge in the field, but in really murky light I felt the Habicht *just* had the edge over the Nikon. BTW, both were clearly better than my Leica 8x32 BA optically.

Handling - well, that's even more a personal thing than the optics. I think the Nikon has the better eyepieces. I never had any problems with blackouts with my Nikon SEs, and I find the eyepieces very comfortable, more comfortable than those of the Habicht. However, that's not really a killer, and I found I got used to the Habicht quite quickly. I prefer the shape of the Habicht - they're traditional, small and elegant binoculars. But I also quite like the shape of the Nikons. So, once again a draw - they're both good, but different.

The focussing of the Habicht *is* a bit tight, but then that's the price you have to pay when you want to use a waterproof porro with center focusing. It's certainly not *too* tight IMO and still perfectly useable. I used both binoculars in woodland for a couple of hours, and even though using the Nikons was a bit more comfortable, I'm certain I could get used to the rather tight focus of the Habicht quite easily. Both aren't quite as easy to focus as a modern roof, that's for sure. But then they're both high-quality porros at about half the price of a roof of comparable quality.

Hermann

Hermann

Although we used different means to assess the on axis sharpness I find it interesting that you also found the Habicht a little sharper on axis. I particularly find it interesting that you think the Habicht may be brighter considering the 8x32 SE has larger objectives. I get the same impression when comparing the 8x30 Habicht to both my 8x32 SEs in low light conditions but always tend to doubt what my eyes are telling me because the SEs are very bright contrasty porros and it doesn't seem possible that the Swaro with its smaller exit pupil could be as bright or brighter.

Steve

Hermann
Good summation. As far as a ban it seems some people attack me for no reason although I will admit I was in a bad mood the other night. I have not resorted to name calling such as you just have. Let's not be so judgemental here. I seem to get some pretty popular threads going here for a troll. For example this one has 250 responses with almost 10,000 reads. I agree with what you said about the Habicht's except for the sharpness. I don't think they are any sharper than the SE's although something else could be coming into play. It could be the contrast on the Habicht's. You can tell Swarovski puts some superb coatings on these little hummers. Your review makes me wonder if my Habicht's had a tighter focus because they were unreasonably tight. I love the Habicht's if it weren't for the focus. Optically they are beautiful and handling and ergonomic wise they are great. The build quality is great with the leather covering and the fine machining and that great SMELL of quality!. If they had 2mm more ER and a little looser focus they could be the perfect birding binocular. The eyecups don't bother me and I can put up with the slightly short ER but that tight focus makes it hard to make quick adjustments following birds. Thanks for your input. It is really helpful getting different opinions like this. Let's keep it above board. You just lower yourself by name calling.

Last edited:

Hermann

Hi Hermann, Thanks for your thoughts on the beautiful Habichts. I am so glad that "most" people on here do not have DID personalities.

Many people say that the Bushnell Custom 7x26 reverse porro has a big Wow Factor for such a small binocular, and that with its user-friendly format, bright optics and long eye relief it's the only compact that's a serious alternative to a full-size glass.

Others complain of old-fashioned optics and a small sweet spot, especially at infinity.

I've often considered one as a backup bino, but they don't seem very popular here in Europe.

What do you all think?

Many people say that the Bushnell Custom 7x26 reverse porro has a big Wow Factor for such a small binocular, and that with its user-friendly format, bright optics and long eye relief it's the only compact that's a serious alternative to a full-size glass.

Others complain of old-fashioned optics and a small sweet spot, especially at infinity.

I've often considered one as a backup bino, but they don't seem very popular here in Europe.

What do you all think?

It's very popular at this particular spot in Europe. :t:

Compare to the modern wide, flat view, waterproof roofs it's virtually prehistoric, but I've not found a small binocular I actually enjoy using more.

David

Hello Hermann,

Some time I did (and posted here) a comparition between my Habicht 10x40 WGA also with the latest coatings, and a new Nikon SE 10x42. And my feelings were the same as yours. In the end I prefer the view with the Habicht. Not to mention the mechanics and sealing of these wonderful Porros...!

Regards

PHA

What do you all think?
I tried them once and never liked them. Of course that is my opinion. They had too much ER for me and I had to hold my eyes away from the eyecups to see the full FOV. But they could fit your face differently. I think there are better choices for a compact. Try a Leica Trinovid 8x20 or a Swarovski 8x30 CL. Both preferable in my eyes.

Last edited:
Hello Hermann,

Some time I did (and posted here) a comparition between my Habicht 10x40 WGA also with the latest coatings, and a new Nikon SE 10x42. And my feelings were the same as yours. In the end I prefer the view with the Habicht. Not to mention the mechanics and sealing of these wonderful Porros...!

Regards

PHA
The Habicht's are great binoculars optically. How tight was the focus on your 10x40's? I bought some Swarovski 8x30 CL's to replace the Habicht's 8x30 porro I returned to Proudpapa. I think they will be close optically and the focus will be easier to use for birding. I want something in between a compact and a full size 8x32. Weight and size anymore are really important to me. The 17oz. on the CL's sounds good. I enjoy using my 8x20 Trinovids alot anymore. I think I have learned how to deal with a compact. It's so nice not to have to deal with that extra weight.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back