• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Service Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Sy V

I would appreciate your views on the Canon (UK) service options, please.

A few months ago I went with a fellow casual photographer's recommendation and covered my EF 100-400mm IS Zoom lens with some 'non-adhesive' camouflage tape.
Recently, I was toying with flogging the lens so I planned to remove the tape.
Huh...'non-adhesive' yeah, right!
The entire surface was covered in a sticky residue. I painstakingly removed every last trace (with whiteboard cleaning alcohol and tissues) and now there's no visible evidence of the lens ever having been covered. It's ~13 months old BTW.
However, the lens hasn't been getting the use that it used to, because I've recently acquired the 400mm prime. When I came to use the zoom lens this week I noticed that the manual focus (I'm old - I like to focus manually sometimes) was no longer revolving smoothly. I suspect some of the residual adhesive has entered the workings between the focus and locking rings.

So I spoke to:
Canon (UK) RCC

Unit 130 Centennial Park
Centennial Avenue
Elstree Hill South
Borehamwood
Elstree
Hertfordshire
WD6 3SE

Tel: 0844 369 0100
Fax: 0844 892 0849
Web: http://www.canon.co.uk

They were very helpful and sympathetic. They gave me an incident number and told me to get in touch with one of the three Service Centres.

First of all I phoned:
H. Lehmann Limited

247-249 London Road
Stoke-on-Trent
ST4 5AA

Tel: 01782 413 611
Fax: 01782 744 579
Web: http://www.lehmannsdirect.co.uk

I explained the situation to them and they immediately quoted me a price for a full service of £132 (incl VAT).
Their manner was brusque and they didn't endear themselves to me at all.

I then telephoned:
A.J.Johnstone & Company Limited

395-399 Central Chambers
93 Hope Street
Glasgow
G2 6LD

Tel: 0141 221 2106
Fax: 0141 221 9166
Web: http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk

The guy there was really pleasant and offered to have a look at the lens and give me a free quote when they've ascertained what needs doing. He also said that they'd try and get this done as a warranty job.

Lastly I tried:
Colchester Camera Repair Services

6 Kings Court
Off Newcomen Way
Severalls Business Park
Colchester
CO4 9RA

Tel: 01206 843 322
Fax: 01206 843 323
Web: http://www.camera-repair.co.uk

They said that it sounds like the focus ring just needs cleaning and replacing and I'd get change out of £50. Unless the barrel was damaged and then it would be substantially more.

So, despite Stoke being the nearest to me, they have talked themselves out of the equation. I'm torn between Glasgow and Colchester, but I seem to recall seeing glowing recommendations for the Colchester outfit somewhere on the Forum, but I can't find the thread now.

Has anyone used one or any of these people and does anyone have any recommendations, please?

Cheers everyone (sorry for the long post!)

Simon

You won't want to hear this but Lehman's have always been fantastic with me with superb turn around time when I had to have my 500/4 re-calibrated and service with several of my cameras over the years. It is though a very busy outlet and often it is difficult to get through to them on the phone, I guess they have lots of folks ringing with queries. If they they'll ring you back they will do so though.

No dealings with any of the others

Chris Galvin

i have used Lehmans on several occasions,they repaired my 100-400 when it had probs,they have also cleaned my Canon cams when under warranty.Their workmanship is good.

unless your selling it it wouldn't bother it will probably clear itself after a bit of manual focusing, one of mine lenses cleared itself after a couple of months

kev

Kevin

That's interesting to hear, but with the 100-400mm zoom there's a focal length locking ring next to the focus ring and this sometimes moves with the sticky focus ring making the lens even more difficult to use manually.
I can hear no graunching though, so maybe a little session of continued manipulation might do the trick.

Chris & Christine

Thanks for your positive feedback on Lehmann's. I'm sure they have many happy and satisfied customers, but their apparent wish to open at a minimum of £132 (as a minimum starting figure) without having seen the lens puts me off, on this occasion. But again, thanks for the feedback.

Tim, Roy and John's recommendation for Fixation (from three members whose work I have admired during my membership) seems to clinch it for me.
So, I'll put aside some time this weekend to have a go at freeing the focus ring's operation through persistence and, if that fails, come Monday I'll package it up and whisk it down to Kennington.

Thanks again and please feel free to continue to make recommendations for future would-be service customers.

Just got my 40D back from Colchester, I initially phoned them with a problem with the self cleaning following a firmware upgrade and was told they would quote before repair but then had further probs with the focusing etc so my father dropped it off with a covering letter asking for it to be fully checked, they rang that day quoting £140 + vat for a full service and test. Camera was repaired and returned within a week with a new bottom pcb, new hot shoe, repair to the pop up flash, full clean and polish, all seems to be working ok but have'nt had the chance to fully test due to weather and work, but all in all i am happy with their service

I too can recommend Colchester Cameras. Some years ago I dropped my 10D and they did a repair for me promptly at a reasonable price, bang on estimate.

Regarding the focus ring issue, my wife has the same problem with her 100-400 lens and it has gradually got worse over the last year or so.

Mike

Just to add my experiences to this thread.

I've used both Lehmanns and Canon at Elstree with excellent results for both lens and body repairs/adjustments. Lehmanns fixed an old EF 300 f2.8L which was too old for another repairer to fix, and have also corrected AF errors in my 10D and 30D bodies.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back