• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Expirience with Zeiss Service bad. (2 Viewers)

In Feb 2021 sent a pair of SF's to Zeiss. I had scratched one of the eyepiece lenses and although this didn't affect the view it annoyed me and it was covered by the initial five year no fault guarantee. Don't know if it was Covid or Brexit related but it was 7 months before they were returned (seven!) from Germany; the scratch no longer there but in the opposite ocular a load of debris, so bad that it affected normal viewing. However, dealing with my original supplier, who fought my case admirably, Zeiss supplied me with a brand new pair so... good customer service in the end, but disappointing repair service.
That's another experience you report here that scares me when I send the glass in again for this service. One simply no longer has a good feeling with these many reports. I also had the feeling that the contact persons are very competent, but the workshop simply can not. Such an expensive glass and then this trouble, starting with the gray reinforcement that had a defect from the beginning, which I then had to pay for myself, to the dirt after this service to a mechanical defect at the end. And that with this brand. I'm curious what I'll be promised next. Zeiss now sends me a loan glass. However, a SF 8x32 because no 8x42 is in stock. Then I should send my glass back to Zeiss. The future will show what happens now. I have actually already given up hope for a good repair.

That doesn't sound good and not acceptable how they handle such top pairs of bins!

I sent Conquests in last year with focus issues, perfect repair with added strap and box (I only had send in the bins) back within a month or so, free under guarantee (while secondhand...). Now they have a loose hinge and I would rather send it to them than using a local repair shop. But reading all this... Still gonna send it in, I guess, hope the bill won't be bad, guarantee period is over.

Since my SF 8x42 has already arrived last week at Zeiss for the third time, I was contacted today by the head of the technical department. Since I have not yet recovered from this conversation, I am trying to let off steam here in the forum.

The head technician, or rather the highest of the technical department, called me and explained to me that the loose belt holder was fixed again, and otherwise no fault could be found. In reference to the completely warped retaining claw in the left channel, he told me that he could not see this. When I asked him about my attached photo in the mail correspondence, which I also posted here in the forum, I came to the realization that he has neither read the mail, nor seen the photo! He said the rattling inside is normal because this is the focus. (was not so before the service) To the running fat in the tubes he said nothing. As if one does not want to hear all this. When he then opened the mail during the conversation at my request and saw the photo he suddenly said yes one will still discuss with a technician, but had assured me in between always that a deviation of a few millimeters here does not matter this I have to believe as a layman Zeiss simply. He would now contact me again in a few days for further clarification.
I am now actually already desperate and at the end. What Zeiss performs here borders on an insolence! When I pointed out to him how badly the glass was packed, that hardly insulating Material was present in the box (I also sent him photos) and that in the OVP to the glass the accessories such as lens eyepiece protection and straps were also pressed in, and not in the accessory compartment provided for it, he said soberly we always pack glasses so. When I told him at the end that the whole history of the repair to now send in the third time and to receive a defective glass at the end for me is no longer sustainable, he said soberly that he does not understand at all.

What can I tell you. Such a cheekiness has rarely happened to me!

Here you can no longer have confidence! And the joy of the product is gone.
The head of the technical department at Zeiss is not able to examine the binoculars so that he makes out these gross defects. Was after the first repair also so that I got a call it was no pollution detectable. Today in conversation he explained to me that you have not seen the hair when looking in at that time. Only when you open it has seen, and this was apparently a hair from the cleaning brush. So first denied, then admitted. To despair
I think I know now why Zeiss has outsourced the production of the new SFL series to Japan. No wonder.

Such a shame. A really great product these Zeiss glasses. But devalued by this service.
Here a Photo form the displaced retaining claw.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Attachments

• SF 8x42 verkleinert.png
    SF 8x42 verkleinert.png
    1 MB · Views: 90
Iā€™m new here. My experience with Zeiss is a long one dating back to 1986. I had 10x40 classics which still function well today. Approximately January 2020 I purchase the 8x42 Victory SF. Within 3 months the hinged failed and it too several months to get them back from Germany, it was covid though. By November of 2020 the hinged failed again and then they were sent to Kentucky and fixed. Then the fall of 2021 the armor started coming off and the focus and diopter were out of wack and again they were sent to Germany. Also during one of these trips the binoculars came back soiled and the eye piece scratched which they advised they received them this way. All I can say is that after 35 years dealing with Zeiss these last few years will keep me from recommending or buying anything Zeiss again. I just purchased a scope from Kowa rather than ever having to deal with service of a scope from them as well. Very disappointed in what was once and outstanding company.

So, now my statement on the previous case.
After a very nice and competent conversation last week, Zeiss has decided to exchange the glass against a new glass.
Today, the new glass arrived in perfect condition! In addition, Zeiss was so nice, and has given me lens cleaning accessories and a Zeiss cap.
I can only say number one service!!! Just as you would expect from this manufacturer. The previous difficulties I had have now all been completely eliminated, and I can only recommend this company! The product needs nothing to say is simply first class.

Many thanks to all here in the forum who have followed this, and many thanks to the company Zeiss in Wetzlar!

Peter

After a very nice and competent conversation last week, Zeiss has decided to exchange the glass against a new glass.
Today, the new glass arrived in perfect condition! In addition, Zeiss was so nice, and has given me lens cleaning accessories and a Zeiss cap.
I can only say number one service!!! Just as you would expect from this manufacturer. The previous difficulties I had have now all been completely eliminated, and I can only recommend this company! The product needs nothing to say is simply first class.

Many thanks to all here in the forum who have followed this, and many thanks to the company Zeiss in Wetzlar!

Peter

All well and good but the satisfactory conclusion you describe does not in any way alter the trail of errors and ineptitudes that went before it and the effort that it took on your part to get that satisfaction. I have already recounted the problem that I had with Zeiss binoculars back on the 1980s on this forum; needless to say much of what I have read here doesn't restore my faith in them, even after all this time!

RB

I lost a small part (my fault) and got the exact needed replacement sent to me by Zeiss fast at no cost. I liked their service very much.

It will be interesting to see how the current economic situation in Europe affects the level of service provided by the big optics companies generally. Their costs will be rising in common with others so tip-top after sales can only be provided free for so long without substantial price increases methinks.

RB

Peter

Peter, finally, after all these years you can actually ENJOY your binoculars!!! šŸ„³

That said, the cynic in me is left wondering what part your decision to 'go public' on this forum, regarding your plight and exposing the incompetencies of the Zeiss service and customer service departments, may have played in reaching this acceptable resolution...? šŸ˜‰

Peter, finally, after all these years you can actually ENJOY your binoculars!!! šŸ„³

That said, the cynic in me is left wondering what part your decision to 'go public' on this forum, regarding your plight and exposing the incompetencies of the Zeiss service and customer service departments, may have played in reaching this acceptable resolution...? šŸ˜‰
The question is how representative my case is. I got trust in Zeiss again! The optical quality of the products is simply too good to do without. Maybe I was just unlucky at first. The positive experiences are hardly communicated in forums.

Several weeks back, I bought a used pair of Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 on the auction site that the seller had listed for $200 but was missing the diopter adjustment knob. I offered him $100 which he accepted. I sent them to Zeiss on 9/19 requesting repair, they received on 9/22, and on 9/23 they sent email saying they were replacing them. Today I received a brand new boxed pair from Zeiss.
Doesn't get any better than this.

The question is how representative my case is. I got trust in Zeiss again! The optical quality of the products is simply too good to do without. Maybe I was just unlucky at first. The positive experiences are hardly communicated in forums.
Absolutely, Zeiss get plenty of very favourable press on this forum, and their UK service representatives enjoy (deservedly) excellent reviews.

I'm sure you simply 'slipped through the net', but that does not excuse what happened to you and I maintain my suspicion that your situation may well have been picked up from your posts on here and quickly resolved due to the disgraceful PR it was generating.

The fact remains, however, that your case has been resolved and you are once again a very happy Zeiss owner, so kudos to Zeiss, they have brought you back onside. šŸ˜Ž

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back