• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Magic Roundabout (2 Viewers)

Having bemoaned a dreadful and largely futile morning on the patch on Good Friday on the Exploring Lantau thread - a Richard's Pipit and a Yellow-browed Warbler the highlights for an hour between 7:00 and 8:00 after having to go back to pick up my phone - I have belatedly realised that the female Asian Koel (138) I saw from the bus perched on a bare tree on the Scenic Hill was my first ever at the airport! Under my patch rule that anything seen from the bus once I enter the airport island counts for the patch list, it turns out that Friday was pretty good after all!

With some more broken weather promised for tomorrow and beyond - here's hoping that this spring migration will be one to remember as a late but great developer.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
We've got much the same in terms of migration! Few Sand Martins seen, couple Wheatears, 1 Swallow... Hopefully it gets better at your end of the Palearctic and mine!

Having sweltered through the Easter heatwave the weather turned on Wednesday, dropping from 28 degrees to 18 overnight and bringing with it a hint of passage - half a dozen Chinese Starlings were lurking in the meelia tree on the Core Area, as was an Asian Brown Flycatcher. A Magpie was, predictably enough, at the Cathay City Roundabout.

Thursday was better still, starting with a House Swiftclose to the cable car turning station, two Cattle Egrets, one in its full orange-buff finery on the grassy patch south of the filling station as I went by on the bus, and at lunchtime the same area held two Sharp-tailed Sandpipers poking hopefully at a puddle, a fine Red-throated Pipit and the taivana Yellow Wagtail. The long-staying Wryneck popped up in the copse by the filling station and the leucopsis x alboides White Wagtail flipped up from the verge by the Northern Edge.

An Asian Brown Flycatcher was again on the Core Area and eight Chinese Starlings were feeding on the yellow flowers on the as they did last year.

Today was quieter again, with just two Asian Brown Flycatchers, the Chinese Starlings again on the Core Area, a Common Tailorbird on the Western Tangle and a Sooty-headed Bulbul and three Richard's Pipits on the golf course. On all three days it was interesting to find a group of eight Barn Swallows hunting low over the buffer next to the golf course. And saving the best '
til last . . . a flyover Feral Pigeon was my first for more than a year.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1475 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_1475 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers @ RDBT.JPG
    546.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1478 Sharp-tailed Sand @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_1478 Sharp-tailed Sand @ RDBT.JPG
    472.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1463 Taivana Yellow Wagtail @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_1463 Taivana Yellow Wagtail @ RDBT.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1465 Richard's Pipit @ RDBT .JPG
    IMG_1465 Richard's Pipit @ RDBT .JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1204 Oriental Pratincole @ RDBT.JPG
    IMG_1204 Oriental Pratincole @ RDBT.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Looks like we've both had some fortune, some nice sightings there. We've had a fall of Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs, and Wheatears. 1 Common Sandpiper was a good lifer too :)

What I'd give to find any of those at the airport, Gus!

This week has been much quieter, with the highlights being a Cattle Egret on Monday Swinhoe's Snipe in the wet grass verge by the golf course) and a Little Ringed Plover on the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper's puddle on Tuesday, and half-a-dozen Chinese Starlings, two Asian Brown Flycatchers and a couple of Yellow-browed Warblers on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Four each of Olive-backed and Richard's Pipits still remain, but would be expected to move on any day now.

Other bits and pieces included four Black Kites on the seawall, a continuing gentle flow of migrant Barn Swallows, and two House Swifts feeding with them above the ponds on the golf course on Wednesday.

Cheers
Mike

The week started off very quiet, with the Swintail Snipe popping up on the Eastern Tangle and a flash of a Black Drongo from the bus on Tuesday morning being the highlights in a hot and disappointingly bird less period. Other birds included up to four Richard's Pipits, a Sooty-headed Bulbul on Tuesday, and a very distant Yellow Wagtail on the golf course.

It also looks like the alboides x leucopsis White Wagtail has scored again. It was acting very proprietorially around a potential nest sigh in the power substation on the Northern Edge, and had a besotted-looking leucopsis White Wagtail in tow.

Friday lunchtime was rather better as a magnificent male Eye-browed Thrush - just my second ever here - showed nicely on the Core Area, perching nicely for me to have got a great photo, if I hadn't been on the phone to Carrie and trying to lift my glasses and get the bins up with one hand or wishing I hadn't left the camera at home.

It was uncharacteristically forgiving for a thrush - unsuccessfully hiding itself in a leafy tree and allowing me better than half-decent views of a very dark face, crystal clear super and lower lore stripe, mainly yellow bill and a fine peachy tinge across the breast.

Most interesting was hearing it call. Rougher than the "seep" of Japanese and Grey-backed, but still with a hint of a whistle, and nothing like as harsh as Pale Thrush. I'd like to delude myself that I'd remember the call in future, but my retention of calls has generally been poor. Never mind - it was a great bird to inject a glimmer in interest into a disappointingly quiet two weeks.

And there was more to come -as I crossed to the Eastern Tangle a lucionensis Brown Shrike popped up on a meelia branch and contemplated me for a while before bouncing away, and just a few seconds later a beautifully marked Grey-streaked Flycatcher sallied out from a high branch and then hung about long enough to genuinely enjoyable rather than a "seen and gone" statistic.

I'm posting his from the transit lounge at Dubai, on my way to a conference in Jordan, so no heart attacks please if my next post looks unfeasibly overloaded with metas!

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
A very quiet period three week period in late spring that delivered just two migrants - an Arctic Warbler last week, and a male Red Turtle Dove this week, plus a new high count of House Swifts (8) and the last of the Richard's Pipits (also last week) took a turn for the better today.

A rather late Pallas's Leaf Warbler was high in a tree on the Eastern Tangle, a Brown Shrike posed nicely on the Northern Edge and a flock of seven Yellow Wagtails made more species of migrants in an hour today than in the last three weeks!

The truly unexpected surprise was a Red-billed Blue Magpie (139) that showed briefly in the depths of the Western Tangle and disappeared without a trace. I thought I had heard it the day before, but since it only called once I dismissed it as an aberration, so it was great to have a second bite at the cherry to add a new bird for the Roundabout.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
A few pix of the more interesting stuff over the last couple of days.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1697 - Red Turtle Dove @ Rdbt.JPG
    IMG_1697 - Red Turtle Dove @ Rdbt.JPG
    262.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1710 Brown Shrike @ Rdbt.JPG
    IMG_1710 Brown Shrike @ Rdbt.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1703 funky green fly @ Rdbt.jpg
    IMG_1703 funky green fly @ Rdbt.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1690 bug sp. @ Rdbt.JPG
    IMG_1690 bug sp. @ Rdbt.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Nope - just a massively hot and humid weather, and no birds!

The highlights of the last six weeks is a short and uninspiring list - Three Barn Swallows over the Roundabout, A Little Ringed Plover and a Cattle Egret from the bus last week.

Looking at the stats this was my worst quarter for two years, thanks primarily to a very disappointing spring, although I was away in Jordan for a key week in April and again in Australia after things had gone quiet in May/June. I did add two species - a female Asian Koel seen from the bus and a surprise Red-billed Blue Magpie that was heard on 12th May and briefly seen the next day was my 139th species here.

Actually, as of yesterday we enter the fourth quarter of the year. This includes a still very hot and humid and bird-free July, with the first trickle of migrants beginning to appear by the end of August and things starting to look a bit more lively as September progresses.

Cheers
Mike

I'll be looking forward to the migrants arriving! Also hadn't seen your Australia trip report so I'll have a wee look at that. Enjoy the weather! Rain all next week over here :C

Six weeks later, and here they finally are Gus - in the shape of a humble Common Sandpiper and a Common Kingfisher on the golf course on Wednesday morning, along with a new high count of 22 House Swifts, which were also feeding overt the golf course ponds.

Now that the golf course has closed I'm hoping it will be a bit more birdy this autumn - before it's finally lost for development sometime next year . . . sigh!

Cheers
Mike

I must have checked this thread just before you posted, thought it was about the right time for migrants to be appearing :) looking forward to the coming weeks, and hopefully something delays development of the golf course!

After a weekend of heavy rain and news of migrants coming in from various parts of Hong Kong this morning I braved the heat and dragged myself round the rather overgrown Roundabout this lunchtime . . . and ended up nicely rewarded with a Grey-headed Lapwing on the golfcourse right at the end of my circuit.

I alsohad a very brief view out of the corner of my eye of something with chestnut wings on the core area. It might have been a coucal, or even (with a lot of wishful thinking) a Cinnamon Bittern, but looked too big for a Long-tailed Shrike.

Indeed a very confiding Dusky Shrike on the Eastern Tangle was the only other bird of note.

Cheers
Mike

Today more hot migrant action as a Yellow Wagtail was on the golf course at lunchtime, along with a resident Scaly-breasted Munia and a couple of Sooty-headed Bulbuls.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
No migrants again yesterday, but I was pleased to find my old friend the leucopsis x alboides White Wagtail was steeping away to himself inside the CLP substation yesterday lunchtime.

3 Barn Swallows and a House Swift were also over the golf course as I went past.

Cheers
Mike

Yesterday a couple of Arctic Warblers on the Core Area were my first passerine migrants of the autumn. Like a good boy scout, I also did lots of hacking back of undergrowth along my route through the Tangles with my trusty Swiss Army penknife.

Today was very much a case of "And now, time for something completely different".

As I walked past the smoking area near the taxi rank on the way into work I caught split second view of a bird walking about on the ground. It should have been Spotted Dove, which get everywhere scavenging for crumbs, but "too much contrast of the wing" zapped into my head and turned back to find a Hoopoe!

Having grabbed a quick pic with the iPhone as evidence I moved closer and it quickly became apparent that it couldn't fly. After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I caught it and took it up to my office while I figured out what to do with it.

My colleagues helped to get a box and punch holes in the lid and I left it there to see if it would recover enough to be able to fly. I gave it a couple of tries in my office but sadly it was clear that while seemingly very perky on the deck it really couldn't fly and SPCA collected it and took it up to the Wild Animal Rescue Centre at Kadoorie Farm.

The pix below and the video on my Facebook page tell a bit more of the story.

This is just the second record of Hoopoe for the airport. I saw the first one on 21st October last year.

Happy days!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_5074 Hoopoe @ HKIA 1.JPG
    IMG_5074 Hoopoe @ HKIA 1.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5068 - Hoopoe @ HKIA 2.jpg
    IMG_5068 - Hoopoe @ HKIA 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_5071 Hoopoe @ HKIA 3.JPG
    IMG_5071 Hoopoe @ HKIA 3.JPG
    396.3 KB · Views: 203
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back