• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (2 Viewers)

Zhanglin, it would be good to find a laboratory to assess the reason of the death of these birds, is it due by intentional poisoning by poachers, is it due because of a pollution by a factory wich is rejected heavy polluted water direct to the sea...in any case it should not be a too big deal to break it down, if the problem is located, but at least need to know what is the problem.

Concerning Goshawk, I saw several time in SW Guangdong poacher using Crested Goshawh to catch egret, pond heron....there should be a market... Also one time at a restaurant with Brian, we saw a bottle of alcohol with several head of raptor inside, it could be another destination for these birds as well.
With all the market being dismantle, all the business is made under the table now, I visited a market at Zhangjiang city where several shop were displaying lots of duck of several species wich are undoubtly raised (some hybride on it), and then I saw the sellers giving dozen of plucked moorhen to a customer....

Anyway fully agree with you Terry, only a small battle has been won, there is still a lot to do and the situation could be very easily reverse back if the pressure is reduced...

there was a Spoon-billed Sandpiper at Xitou on 21th of January.
After last year suspicion of a wintering bird, we can now saying that we're having a new wintering site there...let's hope that their number will increase in the coming years....

All the best,

Jonathan

there was a Spoon-billed Sandpiper at Xitou on 21th of January.
After last year suspicion of a wintering bird, we can now saying that we're having a new wintering site there...let's hope that their number will increase in the coming years....

All the best,

Jonathan

A lot of work has gone into this possible discovery of a wintering site at Xitou. I tip my cap to you, Jonathan.

Don't know if you're aware of another important bit of news out of Bangladesh: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CRBirds/permalink/10152699958953507/

I am due to visit Hong Kong in middle May. I have some questions and would appreciate some help.
1. Spoon-billed Sandpipers are seen at Mai-Po. Is this a dependable sighting in middle May or are these sightings considered rare. Obviously I know that there are very few of them around.
2. Is there anywhere these sightings are recorded/mentioned apart from this thread ie regular Rare Bird reports or the like.

I am due to visit Hong Kong in middle May. I have some questions and would appreciate some help.
1. Spoon-billed Sandpipers are seen at Mai-Po. Is this a dependable sighting in middle May or are these sightings considered rare. Obviously I know that there are very few of them around.
2. Is there anywhere these sightings are recorded/mentioned apart from this thread ie regular Rare Bird reports or the like.

They are unpredictable and in very small numbers (singles). There is one out on the mudflats at the moment but I haven't seen it in 3 visits, so they are no guarantees. There are still a lot of Red-necked Stints around in Mid May so there is a chance as they hang out together.
Check the Hong Kong Bird Watching site for the latest info.
Neil.

J2, a head-started bird in its 2cy was seen in Rudong recently and some 2cy birds do try to breed besides 3cy ones.
Hope this bird can reach the breeding ground.

autumn migration

in mid-July,failed breeders and 2cy birds are back to Rudong,moulting their flight feathers.

Attachments

• 20150716dongtai2cy5.jpg
    20150716dongtai2cy5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 50
That is so bloody sad, I'm glad I'm old, there is a very little future on this planet for it's wildlife, I fear for our youngsters who have an interest in nature.
It's a sad story but in Rudong's conservation there are also some other positive stories.
The observations of flagged birds such as KS18181 and 09 and many others returning to the exact locations every year can tell people they are site-faithful and it's not true if Rudong is ruined,they can still move to Yancheng and Chongming Dongtan NNR for survival.

This autumn we'll start banding waders and hope to catch and band some Spooner and NG.
We're also studying the food of these two and some other species.

At least in the near future nobody will be interested in putting the Olympics in Rudong.

the banding started.
the first Spooner caught was a juv. and we gave it a Yellow flag 51.
the first NGreenshank had Green/Blue flags 00.

a few more were caught and banded but also some dead birds were found in fishnet.

if you don't mind, i don't like the name fishnets. It makes people mind really confuse regarding what really are these nets. If it is often true that these are fishnets that has been transformed to mistnet by creating shelves. These are just illegal mistnets. I never saw a net that has been set up to catch fish catch a bird.... and reverse...

well done for the flagged SBS and NG. Waiting to watch them here in the south...

Fish net is fish net for fishing,not the mistnet for catching birds.
Fish net can for sure catch birds.The fishermen we met just leaves the dead birds there incl. Spooner.

Mistnet is used by us to catch birds for banding.

thanks Dev, I just saw them this afternoon...
Don't know what to think about them, these looks like a trammel net to me (with a layer of small mesh net between two layer of large mesh nets, when the bird pass throught one of the big mesh, it get tangled in the small net and the large mesh create a pocket with the small mesh one, so that the bird can't escape) and I'm not quite sure this kind of net is used to catch fish. I've asked a friend who is professional fisherman to get his feedback. By the way, I've allready seen before such nets in Guangdong province set up to catch birds.
The poacher were setting the net on the beach and wanted me to believe that he was attempting to cash fish until he finally admit that he wanted to catch birds... SO that's another lesson, never believe what these people tell you, sadly there are always credulous people to believe them...

In zhejiang province where I recently found hugge amount (several hundreeds) of illegal mistnets set up on mudflat in front of fish and shrimp ponds, people were just attempted clearly to kill as much bird as possible to avoid them come foraging on the ponds. This could explain why they leave the dead birds inside the nets. A SHrimp ponds owner in Guangdong, on which several mistnets were placed on a shorebirds roost (full of dead shorebirds as well) also directly told me that he wanted to kill all the shorebirds because they were eating a lot of shrimp...

So I'm probably a bit sensitive regarding these nets in China, but in most of the case, when a net is full of dead birds, it is because the nets has been set up to catch birds and not fishes... Then ofcourse if every night all the team up there in Rudong are seing fisherman cleaning the nets from the fish...then ofcourse it will proove I'm totally wrong and I just hope that they will find the right solution with the fisherman to avoid waders being caught in these nets... It's a real pity that the world most important site for two endangered species are seing such sad events...

Recently several resightings of a few of the ten Spooners and one of the two NG banded locally in Rudong,with many other species too.
Hope they keep well with the flags and soon leave and then seen by somebody in the wintering grounds.

Recently several resightings of all of the ten Spooners and both of the two NG banded locally in Rudong,with many other species too.
Hope they keep well with the flags and soon leave and then seen by somebody in the wintering grounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back